Greek Yogurt is sooooo yucky! What can I do to make it taste

Options

Replies

• calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I bought my first tub of Astro original greek yogurt in honey(not sure if this is only in canada). It is soo good. I love it. I wish I could eat it all day every day but its too high in calories. Yummy. My new favorite food.
  • jgood21
    jgood21 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Funny because I hated yogurt but loved greek yogurt!!! Yum. My advice is to NOT eat anything that you don't like! Don't torture yourself! There are plenty of healthy choices around to satisfy all of our palates!
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    Try freezing it with fruit. It's pretty good :)
  • zen_mama
    zen_mama Posts: 51
    Options
    I love the Fage fat free. I use it in smoothies, or mix with a little agave syrup and chow down. My new favorite is a kind of peanut butter mousse I make using 1/2 cup yogurt, 1-2 tbsp natural unsalted peanut butter and 1 tbsp agave syrup- blend well with a wire wisk and enjoy. It's so tasty!
  • jsherrill92
    jsherrill92 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I.HATE.GREEK.YOGURT.

I think Greek yogurt is the ONLY food that I refuse to eat........ I have tried it every way imaginable, even in place of sour cream.

My vote: There is no hope.
    ]

This!!!!!
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    not sure what to tell ya...except maybe have a protein shake instead...

i personally love greek yogurt - but not the pre-sweetened ones. i usually get Fage plain and add fruit and maybe some stevia drops for sweetener.
  • ChinaDollTKP
    ChinaDollTKP Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Read a tip on Hungry Girl blogs about the new Frosting Creations. They are little packets of powder that you put into a base frosting. They are sold separately. And I love them in my plain )% greek yogurt. They are not sweetened, I add splenda. I had Chocolate Marshmallow Yogurt at lunch today.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Oikos is by far better than chobani

I put Stevia in my chobani, but I don't need to in the Oikos
  • angemarie23
    angemarie23 Posts: 55
    Options
    I LOVE Chobani Greek Yogurt. So do my kids. Yoplait Greek Yogurt is sweeter and creamier, if I remember. You might want to try that one. I also mix OIKOS Greek Yogurt with Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt. OIKOS is sweeter but Chobani is better for you, so you get the best of both worlds. I would also try adding berries or bananas to it and making a smoothie. The bananas would sweeten it.

I do believe it's an acquired taste. I started eating it because my cousin, who is a fitness and nutrition guru, won't buy any other kind of yogurt. It has so many more nutrients, protein, and fiber than regular yogurt and is more natural without all the additives.

Anyway, I hope that helps!
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Put it in the blender with some berries and honey and then let it sit overnight... the sweetness will move throughout the yogurt more and it'll taste better.

Try doing this, and adding in a scoopful of whey protein, then freezing it. When you want to eat it, take it from the freezer and let it defrost slowly (it takes a pretty long time!!) but eat it while it's still pretty frozen. With the fruit, honey and protein powder all frozen together its just like ice cream.............. and its full of protein!!
  • Paula21666
    Paula21666 Posts: 24
    Options
    I buy the GREEK GODS HONEY and love it. I did try another brand in PLAIN...and yucky is an understatement and I even tried adding vanilla to it...still yucky. So I went back to the Greek Gods. I noticed last weekend Greek Gods has different flavors too.
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    All I can find is plain Fage near me in the UK you guys are lucky to find different flavors. i add so much (healthy) stuff to hide its taste but its still soo gross. I force it down anyway for the protein :sick: :sick:
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I use Greek yogurt in the smoothie I make for breakfast almost every day. Half a cup of frozen berries, half a cup of the yogurt, half a cup of milk (I use 2%, but whatever your preference is), and a scoop of whey isolate powder. Yum!
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Add some cocoa powder and some honey.
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    Add granola to it.
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There are so many different kinds of Greek Yogurt out there. Keep trying different kinds until you find some that you like.
  • dab5
    dab5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use to be like that also. Try mixing your favorite sugar free jello to it and mix it up. Add a bit of water to the jello to dissolve it and then mix it into the yogurt. Also try adding an organic sweetener like agave. I now only use Greek yogurt simply because it has more protein.

Hope that helps, otherwise try different types of Greek yogurt until you find one you like.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat Greek Yogurt because it is higher in protein.

I bought the Chobani with fruit on the bottom because it had a little more sugar than others and I thought it would taste better.

But...

YUCK!!!

I even added a little packet of sun crystals and that just didn't even help at all!!!

To me, the after taste was like having a stiff, dry goat cheese that missed its maturation mark.

I am sitting here trying to eat bites of it to get used to it, but...I...just...can't.

I read on the internet that it takes getting used to and is an acquired taste for someone who is used to eating American yogurt.

But let me tell you something.

Champagne is an acquired taste. Lamb is an acquired taste.

This stuff is NOT. It is pain on wheels.

The initial taste is not terrible. But I just can't get over the after taste. Ugh!

Have you had Fage? I personally don't like Chobani. I swear it always tastes like it's turning. Fage full fat or Trader Joe's is my favorite. Tastes almost just like sour cream. If you don't like sour cream, you won't probably like Greek yogurt. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't fight it. What about cottage cheese?
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Oh man I'm in LOVE with Greek yogurt. Chobani is my fav. but sometimes I have to settle for Fage instead if my local store is out. But yes, it's a very great source for low carb/high protein meal. I eat it for breakfast or a dessert. The fruit on the bottom ones I avoid because the fruit, although fruit, is still nothing more than processed food and takes away from the healthy natural benefits of the yogurt. Unfortunaly, the Yoplait and some of the others are really not beneficial because they still "Americanize" it to some degree and, while they do taste better to someone who hasn't acquired the Greek yogurt kick, they're full of chemical sweeteners and have a much higher carb content so you're losing a lot of the protein with those.

STEVIA is your friend with Greek yogurt. And I don't mean the crappy cut Stevia you find in grocery stores like Truvia which only uses an extract of the stevia along with some sugar alcohol; I'm talking about the real deal. I get mine at a local health food store and it's about $12 for a tiny jar but it will last 6 months at least. It's so pure and sweet that you only have to use the tiniest of amounts. The other benefit of using real stevia is that it's great for your teeth. I also use it in coffee and to bake with and you should see the improvement in my dental x-rays and perio. reports and the only change has been adding stevia to my diet. I'd heard it was great for oral care/health and they were right! It also has tons of other benefits like lowering blood pressure, skin health, inhibiting bacteria growth, and helps to fight obesity (double bonus for the weight loss journey!) by aiding in proper digestion and insulin regulation.

I put a tiny amount in with the yogurt and stir it up. It's all it needs to make it a nice, creamy, cool, healthy, sweet treat that fills you up. Add some fresh fruit if you want and/or some granola and it's so much better than the sour/tart taste some of the plain ones can have.
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    I add a 1/4 cup of Fiber One original cereal to my cup of Chobani. Or try, the Chobani Champions line (it's usually w/the kid yogurt) the Orange Vanilla and Verry Berry is delicious!

Angie