ignorance about obesity on MFP

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    First let me say that not all of us have gotten this way due to eating unhealthy.

I would like to see a healthy diet that causes you to be 100 pounds over weight...

Look up healthy 2000 calorie diets, because that's what I'd eat to maintain my current weight of 240 pounds. ;D I'm pretty sure there are plenty out there.

How would you eating at maintenance cause you to gain 100lbs?

And you may want to get some tests run since maintaining on roughly 8.33cals/lb is quite low
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    First let me say that not all of us have gotten this way due to eating unhealthy.

I would like to see a healthy diet that causes you to be 100 pounds over weight...

Look up healthy 2000 calorie diets, because that's what I'd eat to maintain my current weight of 240 pounds. ;D I'm pretty sure there are plenty out there.

And you may want to get some tests run since maintaining on roughly 8.33cals/lb is quite low

Through the magic of common sense.
    Hypothetically, starting at 140lbs (which I never have been in my adolescent or adult life), I'd have a lower maintenance of 1620 calories (according to freedieting.com), and thus would gain if eating 2000-2250 calories a day, eventually reaching equilibrium at my current weight. Most people gain their weight over YEARS, this is not much of a stretch. Add a medication (such as Abilify, which I just got off of) that significantly slows metabolism, or a thyroid condition, or PCOS, or Cushings Disease... and that extra weight would hypothetically be gained faster.

I wrote 2000 calories at first without double-checking but Freedieting.com puts my exact sedentary maintenance calories at 2160, MFP puts me at 2250. Still a calorie range where one could maintain a very healthy diet. Google it if you don't believe me. I'm 5'2, 240lbs, and 22 years old. Almost exactly 100 lbs 'overweight'.

You might want some tests run on your brain if I need to explain this all to you.
  • alliegeorge
    alliegeorge Posts: 114
    Options
    Very well put Babygirl. The fact is everyone has their own struggles. Although I will say MFP seems to be equal opportunity when it comes to bashing people. Fat, skinny, muscular it doesn't matter someone will say something negative about each. This should be a place of support not criticism and rudeness.

Agree with that.

Although I also get annoyed with the complainers - "I'm not losing any weight; what am I doing wrong"; then you check their diary & its full of McDonalds & cakes...
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options

Through the magic of common sense.
    Hypothetically, starting at 140lbs (which I never have been in my adolescent or adult life), I'd have a lower maintenance of 1620 calories (according to freedieting.com), and thus would gain if eating 2000-2250 calories a day, eventually reaching equilibrium at my current weight. Most people gain their weight over YEARS, this is not much of a stretch. Add a medication (such as Abilify, which I just got off of) that significantly slows metabolism, or a thyroid condition, or PCOS, or Cushings Disease... and that extra weight would hypothetically be gained faster.

I wrote 2000 calories at first without double-checking but Freedieting.com puts my exact sedentary maintenance calories at 2160, MFP puts me at 2250. Still a calorie range where one could maintain a very healthy diet. Google it if you don't believe me. I'm 5'2, 240lbs, and 22 years old. Almost exactly 100 lbs 'overweight'.

You might want some tests run on your brain if I need to explain this all to you.

*cheers*.
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    Very well put Babygirl. The fact is everyone has their own struggles. Although I will say MFP seems to be equal opportunity when it comes to bashing people. Fat, skinny, muscular it doesn't matter someone will say something negative about each. This should be a place of support not criticism and rudeness.

Agree with that.

Although I also get annoyed with the complainers - "I'm not losing any weight; what am I doing wrong"; then you check their diary & its full of McDonalds & cakes...

lol! Oddly enough I'm losing just fine eating tons of McD and cake. *Shrugs* It CAN work, but you have to make it.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    There are some pretty arrogant people here who treat people who aren't as fit as them as inferior to them. There are also people who are out of shape who rip on the ones who are in shape. It's a big clusterf*ck of name calling. Welcome to MFP!

^^ this. This doesn't only apply to obese people but even among the fit people also. I also encounter some posts where they say they say muscled woman is unfeminine or that women are meant to be curvy. Well this is life whether in internet or real, there will always be haters who doesn't know anything aside from putting other people down. Most of them have their own insecurities which is why they do that to others for them to feel better. Don't waste your time on those idiots.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Options

There really are meds/ disease processes that make it harder to lose weight, but not impossible. Again, people come on this site for support and encouragement. Maybe if people would be more supportive and less judgemental we can all succeed in our weight loss/ maintenance/ gain goals.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Options

Agree with that.

lol! Oddly enough I'm losing just fine eating tons of McD and cake. *Shrugs* It CAN work, but you have to make it.

And in moderation cake and McDonalds are fine. I've been losing weight and eat both. Sometimes I eat fast food more than I would like but I usually eat salads and scrape off all the excess cheese and croutons ect. To maintain long term permanent weight loss, deprivation of any one food group is a recipe for disaster.

Everything in moderation!

Oh btw Umeboshi, can I just say that you rock?
  • Umeboshi
    Options

Agree with that.

And in moderation cake and McDonalds are fine. I've been losing weight and eat both. Sometimes I eat fast food more than I would like but I usually eat salads and scrape off all the excess cheese and croutons ect. To maintain long term permanent weight loss, deprivation of any one food group is a recipe for disaster.

Everything in moderation!

Oh btw Umeboshi, can I just say that you rock?

:heart: You rock too!

I can definitely say that if i wasn't eating everything in moderation I'd have quit by now.
  • alliegeorge
    Options

Agree with that.

Fair enough if you are - I'm not going to pretend I don't indulge too. But just don't complain when you're not losing ya know :)

I saw one persons diary that literally was 4k worth of calories that was just cake!
  • Umeboshi
    Options

Agree with that.

Fair enough if you are - I'm not going to pretend I don't indulge too. But just don't complain when you're not losing ya know :)

I saw one persons diary that literally was 4k worth of calories that was just cake!

That's a LOT of cake! O_O
    That person must have some sort of binge eating problem...but still you think they'd understand why they weren't losing if they ate THAT much <.<
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Options

Agree with that.

That's why constructive criticism instead of outright nastiness is so important.

Wow 4k cals of cake!?! That's a lot of cake!
  • alliegeorge
    Options

Agree with that.

That's why constructive criticism instead of outright nastiness is so important.

Wow 4k cals of cake!?! That's a lot of cake!

For sure - I love the fact that I get a little kick up the backside from other posters when my diary seems to be slipping into old habits :)

Jeeez I know; I was like "really; you wonder why you're gaining weight" - obviously I didn't post that.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Considering that 64% of Americans are overweight or obese.. chances are good that we all know someone, (or we are) the majority here...
    There is a website with a ticker for WorldWide
    At this moment in time:

Obese people in the world:

Money spent due to obesity related diseases in the USA today:
    $ 572,583

So lets get off our collective fat, skinny, lazy. slob like Arses and kick some skinny butt!!! lol!!!!
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You know what? After reading posts on here, I only have one thing to say...

Whether a person "chooses to be fat or obese, or got there through medication, disability, or whatever-- It can be fixed (if that is what they choose to do)
    to the people that berate, insult and belittle others for being fat or obese..... Thats a harder fix!!

I will take fat, misunderstood and empathetic over skinny, cruel and uncaring any day...
    Cuz I can fix FAT!!!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Considering that 64% of Americans are overweight or obese.. chances are good that we all know someone, (or we are) the majority here...
    There is a website with a ticker for WorldWide
    At this moment in time:

Obese people in the world:

Money spent due to obesity related diseases in the USA today:
    $ 572,583

So lets get off our collective fat, skinny, lazy. slob like Arses and kick some skinny butt!!! lol!!!!

I am not sure if you are telling everyone to get skinny or saying the obese should rise up.
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    wow, not cool for people to be doing that. Thanks for you post on here.....we are all here to encourage each other and lift each other up, not tear each other down. We are all in the struggle. Good post!
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! Amen sister!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • mbcan316
    mbcan316 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Some people are just MEAN! Plain and simple. It's a form of bullying. They lack so much self esteem that they strike out and easy victims....they are nothing but "Internet Thugs!"

Well said!! Totally agree!
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Yes look at your wonderful muscles I"m sure you've spent hours in the gym, but did you have to shed layers and layers of fat with your body fighting you every ince of the way BEFORE you saw any results at all?

Yes, Yes I did!
    I am here everyday and I haven't seen any fat bashing threads, but lots of "real women" threads.