Diet soda... friend or foe?!?

Options
Sapph1re
Sapph1re Posts: 16 Member
I've been drinking nothing but water for the past two weeks and this morning I couldn't take it anymore! I got a diet soda out of the vending machine. Zero calories, zero carbs and 85mg of sodium. Can someone tell me if its okay to drink diet sodas???

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I drink it. I only have two heads. You'll be fine.

P.S. You're gonna get a whole bunch of different answers, all backed up with good or lousy science, anecdotal evidence, or simple make-believe, and you're gonna have an even harder time knowing what to believe. And googling it will give you even more answers and scary not-scientific baloney.. I suggest you go to reputable websites like the Mayo Clinic or WebMD, read what they have to say, think about it, list the pros and cons of partaking, and choose to drink or not drink.
  • jayenomics
    jayenomics Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The ways they make it 0 calorie is disgusting...If it's not from the earth you shouldn't be putting it into your body. Why not try some Green Tea or flavored Green Tea. No Calories, and has properties that help boost Metabolism and weight loss.

+ it tastes good.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I drink it. I only have two heads. You'll be fine.

P.S. You're gonna get a whole bunch of different answers, all backed up with good or lousy science, anecdotal evidence, or simple make-believe, and you're gonna have an even harder time knowing what to believe. And googling it will give you even more answers and scary not-scientific baloney.. I suggest you go to reputable websites like the Mayo Clinic or WebMD, read what they have to say, think about it, list the pros and cons of partaking, and choose to drink or not drink.

I agree with this. Anything is fine in moderation. If you are having one a day or one every few days you'll be fine. If you are drinking 10 a day then there might be a problem. :smile:
  • GladImTall
    GladImTall Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree with LabRat... do your own research- look at what Docs/reputable websites say. I stopped drinking soda of any kind about 2 months ago and have felt personally better... I was never a big soda drinker until a year ago and then went ca-razy for it. Now I'm just doing a lot of iced tea and water, and some flavored Crystal Light packets, etc.

You can do a carbonated water with some Stevia Flavorings that taste like soda... Whole Foods has a whole bunch of different flavored Stevia drops... The Root Beer one tastes surprisingly like root beer. I just have to close my eyes since it's clear and not dark brown like the real thing :)

Good luck!
  • FightGirl83
    FightGirl83 Posts: 30
    Options
    That depends. Do you want to be skinny or do you want to be healthy? What is in it that is good and nourishing for you? What is in it that serves no purpose and is simply and additive for your body to process? And personally, I stay far far away from artificial sweeteners. If you have cellulite and you want it to stick around, sucking down aspartame is one sure way to make sure of it.
    Sure if all you care about is being skinny there's nothing wrong with a zero calorie drink. If you care about the ingredients that are going in to your body, just don't do it.
  • Amanda_Rae_Rae
    Options
    It's all about moderation! I'm still learning this.
  • Rshaw18244
    Rshaw18244 Posts: 4
    Options
    I know some people don't like diet sodas because of either the chemicals (artificial sweeteners) or because they think that they can cause cravings but I personally drink one a day and don't feel it causes any problem. I dont notice any difference in cravings or being hungry whether I have one or not and dont think one a day is enough of anything to be harmful. The rest of the time I drink water with lemon, iced tea or Crystal Light, all good for getting your liquids.
    :smile:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Nurtition-wise? It's fine. The calories are real, the sodium is real, and there aren't many of either. Choose one you like and drink it in moderation.

Personally, for me (LabRat predicted the anecdotal evidence, don't want to let a fellow MFPer down!) the sweet is the issue. If I kept eating and drinking things that were sweet, I craved sweet all the more. Ridding myself of the sweet made it a lot easier to balance my fat/carbs/proteins, and it's a lot easier to resist sweet things that I really do need to resist, like donuts.

Just do yourself a favor and be honest about your cravings. If you find sweets less resistible, consider that part of the reason might be the soda.

But if a diet soda is what it takes to get you through the day, drink up! As with all things, in moderation of course. Buy the smallest size you can, and sip. Make the flavor last longer.

Chemicals are not bad. You just have to consider what you are using them for. I don't panic because my beloved durable Nalgenes have some bad boojum in them, because I only drink out of them when I'm camping which is maybe 2 weeks a year. I don't freak out about preservatives because they're better than the nasty stuff that would otherwise get in preserved food and kill me. But I personally prefer not to use them to make food taste sweeter, since there's no benefit other than changing a taste, and I'd rather flavor my water with something healthier when I feel the need to flavor it. A little squirt of lemon juice or lime juice goes a long way.

That's a personal decision, though.
  • Tigger1498
    Tigger1498 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm living by the motto of try not to drink it but if you really feel the need then go ahead. Obviously water is the best thing you can drink or so they say but I don't see where every once in a while drinking a diet soda is going to hurt you in any way. Just my thoughts I wouldn't over do it but moderation should be just fine. That's as long as you don't have issues with sodium!
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You can't escape ALL that's unhealthy. Just eat/drink the "bad" things in moderation and you'll be fine.
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If it's taste you're seeking just add a splash of lemon, lime or orange to your H2O. I totally agree if it was made in a factory, skip it!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I am addicted to diet coke double big gulps.

I used to drink 2 a day. I have cut that back to 1 a week due to the sodium.

They say the sweetness without calories makes you body crave real sugar and can leat to binge eating. I don't find I have this problem at all. Actually it's the reverse, it takes the edge off and fills me up when I'm craving junk food.

I say like everything else as long as you keep in in moderation it's not a bad thing.
  • LisaF1163
    LisaF1163 Posts: 141
    Options
    I'm living by the motto of try not to drink it but if you really feel the need then go ahead. Obviously water is the best thing you can drink or so they say but I don't see where every once in a while drinking a diet soda is going to hurt you in any way. Just my thoughts I wouldn't over do it but moderation should be just fine. That's as long as you don't have issues with sodium!
    I agree with this completely. They're not good for you, but they're not going to kill you if you have it once in a while. I've tapered back, but if I want one, I have one.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    i tend to enjoy a diet dr. pepper with dinner .. the rest is water .. nothing wrong with it
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I started my first few months on MFP using diet soda.
    Also used sugar substitutes for coffeee.
    Worked very well, as far as reducing weight.

But as I started looking not only at calories, but nutrition, I also looked at any food that had artificial ingredients.
    So I decided to not drink any sugar substitute.
    And it is working just fine as weight reduction. I use cane sugar for my coffee, one tsp of it. And water instead of diet soda.
    Of course, there is nothing wrong with drinking from time to time diet soda; I just did yesterday.

But in general, I now try to avoid as much as possible those artificial sweeteners. For health reasons.
  • CoachJake83
    CoachJake83 Posts: 108
    Options
    It has zero calories, but the artificial sweeteners block growth hormones. Stasticicly your chances of becoming or staying obese jump up 50% when drinking diet soda.

People will have opinions, but statistics are statistics. Nothing's free in life. If it tastes good, and there's no calories, then there's something else that's gotta pay for it. It's also the 4th in a line of sweeteners! The previous three banned from other generations.

My bet's that they still don't have it right. Instead of diet sodas try a healthy meal replacement drink with some fruit, ice, whey protein powder etc. Or a post workout recovery drink. Other than that drink water! Your body will thank you!
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 2 litres of 7 up free every single day.

I started trying to drink half of my weight in oz of water (70oz) and since I've done that I find I might only have one glass of 7up a day, or none.

So long as you're drinking your water as well, I don't see a problem with the odd can here and there.
  • killinme
    killinme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have drank diet soda since they came out with it in the 70s ... remember TAB?

Just drink as much water as soda and you are cool.

My opinion.:happy:
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I drink water exclusively...occasionally some coffee and drink tea daily as well...on the weekends I will treat myself to one diet soda, but I really try not to drink it too often, those fake sugars are nasty for you.
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Can you pronounce the ingrediants? If so, do you even know what they are? Do you think your body truly recognizes those when you put it in your body regularly?

That said, IF you are limiting your caffeine daily and paying attention to that as well as limiting your intake of these manufactured chemicals in the diet soda AND drinking enough water for your weight, you'll be fine temporarily. However, if you are after true health and not just a pacifier to satisfy your addiction to the taste of sugar, you will eventually quit the soda of any kind and switch to natural water and/or herbal teas. It's a process and a choice. When you are ready, you'll make the switch.

-Debra