Women who eat more than 1800 calories a day !!!!

Options

Replies

• KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I'm around 5'11" with a BMR of 1600 and a TDEE of around 2400-2600. I love to eat, so I have no problem hitting my daily calorie goal. :)

I'm glad I found this thread. With the preponderance of posts about people trying to net 1200, it can feel a little lonely when one is trying to net around 2000.
    Yes I agree with this a few of my friends have read my blogs and are trying this but so many eat 1200-1400 calories. I have been giving my body a rest from low calories and just started with a 15% from my estimated TDEE 2 days ago. If I keep losing I guess others will ask what I am doing. Still I feel lonely too.
  • lessweightkate
    lessweightkate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This wonderful! I've been trying to do the 1200 a day thing because I work in a desk all day and don't have much time to work out after, but I'm so lethargic. I'm going to MAKE time to start running and bump up my food intake...my body needs it to burn. This 5 lb loss is not cutting it....I want a healthy body AND lifestyle. thanks for the encouragement ladies!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I eat around 2000
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. This thread is amazing. I am learning so much! I could really use some help., though. . .

I appear to be kind of stuck at around 160. I am 5'6" and really rather muscular (I wear a US size 8) but I definitely have flab that needs to go. ;) I would like to lose 15 lbs and continue to tone up. I do weights/strength training three times a week and cardio at least three, sometimes more. My diet is pretty good, relatively clean--processed foods are low, I try to keep protein above 120g/day, and keep an eye on carbs. But I am really struggling with how much I should be eating. I had been around 1500 and did lose a little, then dropped to 1300 and was MISERABLE--tired, sluggish, and even got terrible headaches. So I went back up to 1500. But even so, on most days, esp. days like today where I really burned a lot (close to 600 calories), that is only netting around 900.

I figured my BMR to be about 1470. But the rest of it--TDEE, for example--I'm kind of lost.

i really do buy into the whole idea that your body needs fuel, esp. when you work out heavy/a lot (like I do)--I just don't know how much fuel I need! Can anyone help? Thank you!!

To figure out your TDEE use this:

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Then you subtract the 15%- 20% to have the deficit you want.

I actually only subtract 250-300 calories because I am in the last 10 pounds I want to lose. I have heard and believe that the last 20-15 pounds should be slower so you don't lose as much muscle mass... just my two cents! :wink:

Holy cow. You guys are totally full of awesome.

I figured all this out, and hope I did it correctly! I exercise 6 days a week, but I don't know if I should call it "hard" or not so I went in between the 3 - 5 days of moderate exercise and the 6 days of hard (multiplied by 1.6). I do strength training, intervals, and high intensity cardio. Most workouts are 45 - 60 minutes or so. Anyway, that makes my TDEE about 2288, and subtracting 15 - 20% puts me at a calorie range of about 1830 - 1945/day.

I know I'm not the first to say this, but--WHOA. That is just so much higher than we've been taught to eat while "dieting." I am already eating over 1600 daily, and often over 1700, so this isn't a huge jump! I think I'll try to eat around 1700-1800 for the next couple of weeks, and see how things continue to go.

Many, many thanks to all who offered advice and help!!

Don't think of it as dieting.... think of it as fueling yourself for the workouts :wink:

Just know that some, if not most, will gain weight when they increase their calories because the body stores them thinking that you will cut back again. It takes at least ONE MONTH, if not more, to really see how eating more works for you. With that being said, since you are between 200-300 calories it shouldn't be that big of a surprise for your body, just know that gaining is okay for the first couple of weeks!

Thank you!! I promise not to freak if the scale goes the wrong way. ;) And you know, it's funny you said that about the fuel, because that is EXACTLY how I have been thinking of it recently!! When I did my week or 2 at 1300 calories, my workouts totally sucked. I just didn't have enough energy. When I bumped it back up some, i got my energy back (imagine that!). I did my Turbo Fire 60 minute workout today and BLEW through it like a woman on fire. I need these calories if I'm going to work this hard!!

Thank you again!!
  • Newme012
    Newme012 Posts: 43
    Options
    Oooo - love this board! I upped from 1200 to 1750 and have lost 3 lbs in 2 wks! That was after a major plateau eating 1200. I was so nervous, but tried anyway. What an awesome discovery - I need to eat more to lose weight?! Who knew!!??
  • thatblueyedchic
    thatblueyedchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Love this thread, and I am hoping that someone could help me out. I am 5' 8" and currently around 213 lbs. My body fat % is 35.7. I'd like to get down to % 26. Maybe more later but for now, that seems like a good goal to shoot for. Fat 2 Fit Radio calculates my bmr to be 1725.

I love hip hop abs and do the tapes 6 days a week. Each one is about 30 minutes of high impact cardio. On Sundays, my day off of hip hop abs, I've started going to spin class, which is about 50 min. I would like to start lifting as well with the NROLFW plan.

Can someone tell me how many calories I should be eating on a daily basis to lose weight in the quickest but healthiest way possible? I'd like to hang onto my lean muscle mass.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Love this thread, and I am hoping that someone could help me out. I am 5' 8" and currently around 213 lbs. My body fat % is 35.7. I'd like to get down to % 26. Maybe more later but for now, that seems like a good goal to shoot for. Fat 2 Fit Radio calculates my bmr to be 1725.

I love hip hop abs and do the tapes 6 days a week. Each one is about 30 minutes of high impact cardio. On Sundays, my day off of hip hop abs, I've started going to spin class, which is about 50 min. I would like to start lifting as well with the NROLFW plan.

Can someone tell me how many calories I should be eating on a daily basis to lose weight in the quickest but healthiest way possible? I'd like to hang onto my lean muscle mass.

To figure out your TDEE use this:

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Then you subtract the 15%- 20% to have the deficit you want.
  • thatblueyedchic
    thatblueyedchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That just seems like so much food! Can't believe it! :laugh: Just to clarify, that number is what I should be consuming and not netting, correct?
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    Bumping to read later.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    what is this bump all about? Sounds interesting :)

Bump puts it in your forums that you have commented on, so it is easy for you to find without having to search through everything. Just an easier way of finding things.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That just seems like so much food! Can't believe it! :laugh: Just to clarify, that number is what I should be consuming and not netting, correct?

I always suggest slowly increasing your calories- go up 100-200 a week until you get there. That makes it not so scary and might help your body adjust without that much of a gain*. Yes you will consume that number because you TDEE is including the exercise. If you use your BMR then you would add exercise calories and eat those, but with TDEE you don't have to do that.

*Not scientifically proven just my two cents :flowerforyou:
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the website and these fitness boards. How do I find the original post - is there an article or something that explains that upping calories leads to more weight loss if combined with more exercise? I'm confused by the various posts. And what does bump mean and do?? Sorry for my ignorance. :)

Nope, it isn't ignorance at all. I know it sounds backwards, but if you are doing excessive workouts, then your body NEEDS extra fuel to survive. I was starting at eating only 1400 calories and working out 3 days/week. I have increased my calories. I eat atleast 1900 calories and more on days where I am working out more (depending on what I am doing that day). Follow the formula that has been provided and multiple it by 80-85% depending on how much of a weight loss you want. It really does work!!!!
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JACKYGETNMYBODYBACK
    JACKYGETNMYBODYBACK Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I have been doing some research and fat2fit says I should be eating about 1700 cals per day since I work out 5-6 times a week maybe more but I have to work on that research.

I am considering upping my calories because the past few days I feel really off. I have no energy, I am tired and I couldn't give a crap about the world. :laugh: I did eat 1400 yesterday and felt better but today I am sluggish again. I did like the suggestion someone had about slowly going up to 1800 so it doesn't seem so bad. I will keep ya posted on my progress or lack thereof. :drinker:
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I finally saw the light and eat more as well. It really makes me wonder why I ever thought it okay to eat less than my BMR at a minimum. I net more than my BMR but used to not. How silly I was...
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Just an update. After 1.5 years of eating under my BMR I upped my calories and tried to take a rest from deficit calories for a month. Not quite sure I made it all the way up to my true maintenance but it was a rest anyway and just 2 weeks ago have lowered it to what I feel is a 15% deficit and have lost 4 pounds from my high. Lost 2 since I lowered my calories. I had been stalled out for 6-9 months trying everything but this and this is what I needed. I am at 1860 net calories so I eat my exercise calories as much as possible. I never go under my 1686 BMR.
  • Ayeshat
    Ayeshat Posts: 209
    Options
    Bump
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    bump