Want better results???? Ditch the elliptical and......

Options
hit the step mill instead. Non jarring, more effective, actually simiuates USABLE REALISTIC movement. When I used to train, I slowly converted many a soccer mom to the step mill. I can't tell you how many of those women would brag about how they could go for an hour on the elliptical and burn SOOOO many calories....um hmmmmm.

5 minutes on the step mill at a level 5 and they were panting and DONE.

Elliptical is a great start for poeple who are unfit or elderly. Once you're past the "newbie" phase of exercise however, it's time to step it up..literally!!

I know I'm gonna get a hundred replies of offended people who just swear by the elliptical. For some reason that machine has a cult following (probalby because it's easy and shows huge calorie burns..which are false..but that is another thread). But...there is a reason that very few trainers actually use them THEMSELVES. It's unnatural movement, it's too easy to wimp out on it, and it's just simply not enough once you hit a more advanced level of fitness.

Flame away...most trainers are on board with me on this one. Step mill. GO THERE...

Replies

• Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    What does the step mill look like I would like to try it? Sorry I go to the gym but I dont know the name of most of the machines there.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I agree the elliptical and MPF show crazy high amounts of calorites burned. I use the elluptical on my off day for training for marathons. The stair machines are killer. Too much for "rest" days for me. I would also say running burns more calories.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Step Mill is BRUTAL. I love that thing, but I feel like I need an HRM when I'm on it. I'm definitely burning more than the machine is telling me. I'm sweating and panting after 15 minutes.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no one modality that is best for everyone. What you do is not nearly as important as how you do it.
    Training effects are specific to the type of training being performed. If one is not experienced at doing the stepmill, it will naturally feel much harder at first compared to what they were doing. The stepmill movement places a lot of focus on the quads and so perceived exertion is higher due to localized muscle fatigue.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I love the Stepmill, I burn a ton of calories on it, but I don't have a gym membership and they're too expensive.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I AGREE...

the stair machine is THE BEST! I am drenching in sweat after 10minutes and can barely make it through my 25min... every trainer i know is a firm believer in the stair climber
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I thought elliptical was giving me the best burn and I was not losing weight. Few weeks later I jumped on the treadmill and started losing weight. After that I did some online research . The studies I found said the elliptical machine is doing most of the work.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I don't think I know what this machine is, can you describe it. I will check next time I get to my gym if they have one! Im more a tredmill type person for cardio cause I run/walk for HIIT.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have never done the elliptical and I have to admit...I think it looks pretty sissified!!!

I do steps every single day. It works....really well.

I at least do 40 minutes and can go 80. I throw in all these fancy moves and let me tell u it is an insane workout and I'm usually dripping sweat in the most unatractive way possible by the time I'm done...it's actually pretty comical!!
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    I am not a fan of the stair step because, well... it is a bit too difficult for me. In other words, I agree that it is far better than elliptical, but I like a nice medium of treadmill/outdoor running.
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    LOL I had an elliptical. Was great for hanging up wet towels after swimming ;)

Hated using it. 3 minutes and my knees HURT. Not ache, but down right HURT.

Sold the elliptical, joined a gym, and started the treadmill. I LOVE the treadmill.

What's the Step Mill and how is it used?

So I'll join you on the anti-elliptical band wagon :)
  • shicken684
    shicken684 Posts: 36
    Options
    Well my gym doesn't have step mills and I can't run because of injury so it's either the bikes which do nothing, or the elliptical. As long as you have an elliptical that takes your heart rate, and weight they are pretty accurate in calories burnt. Never go by the MFP numbers. They are always about 20% higher than they should.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I use my elliptical all the time, no newbie or elderly here, LOL! Love it and burns alot of calories......
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Do both. I do. I also run on the treadmill, bike, and do a half hour on the rowing machine. Diversity is best.
  • downsizedanno
    Options
    Ditch the elliptical. Ditch the gym. Get some kettlebells, a jump rope, and a bike. But if you are going to keep wasting money on monthly gym dues, then yes; the stair mill will kick your buttocks.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I just soaked in what you said. I can go for an hour no problem on an elliptical even going at a high speed the entire time. so yeah, I know that it gets easy and then you try and run and it wipes you out.

I am with you on this one. that's why i started couch to 5k because I have gotten all I can out of the elliptical. it is a great place to start for a low impact workout though.
  • lokin4deer
    lokin4deer Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I too think the stairmaster is a much better work out. I believe it is a gift from the devil : )
  • skinnydream115
    Options
    hahaha Im one of those can do the elliptical for hours and hours and the step mill or i call it stair master.. lol.. 5 mins and im dyinng you are soo right !!!!!!!!
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The stair climber feels like it's burning more calories but you get a higher reading on the elliptical. I do about 15-20 minutes on the stair stepper and I'm drenched in sweat. I don't even break a sweat on the elliptical until I'm about 30 minutes in..
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My only issue with the step mill is that I have bad knees and it's really easy to step wrong and mess up my knee for a week.