for heavens sake, I STILL EAT BREAD AND LOSE WEIGHT!

Options

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    seen a lot of posts lately regarding "whole grain/wheat" bread/brown rice.. and such.. I am not understand why alot of people choose to cut them out COMPLETELY... I have lost weight with still eating bread, at a deficit.. eating healthy and working out...

please tell me I am not the only one? share YOUR success so we can put the "bad carbs" posts to rest!

If they cut them out completely and start seeing results they will keep doing it. Why don't you understand that? Maybe they really do only lose if removing carbs, maybe its just water weight in the beginning but it gives them incentive to continue with weight loss journey.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    I eat bread but I make sure it is the 35 calorie a slice kind. I am trying to only eat 1200 calories so this bread fills me up. I think it is unrealistic to think you can cut bread out all together.

Holy crap, you can actually get 35 calorie a slice bread??? There must be a catch! Where can I get this! I've been cutting out bread just because it's about 130 cals a slice, and I miss it to death.

The bread I eat is 80 calories per slice - I wonder also what this 35 calories bread is?
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Clearly different things work for different people. Eating bread didn't work for me. I cut grains and lost 30 lbs in 3 months while eating a ton of other food.

My side effects were not lethargy as others report. Mine was increased energy, lack of joint pain (which I experienced daily), bloodwork turned awesome, retained all muscle mass, no longer allergic to cheese and other dairy.

Do whatever works for you. I know what works for me, and it did in spades.
  • tracivee
    tracivee Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's carbs that are a diet danger...it's what you typically eat with those carbs. Think about it...Pizza: the cheese is bad, not the crust. Sandwhiches: the cheese or mayo or crappy processed meat, not the bread. Pasta: fatty meat and/or cheesey buttery sauces, not the pasta itself. I could go on and on...

Just started a vegan diet a week ago and I'm already down 3 lbs, and that's with no exercising! I'm thinking this lifestyle is my holy grail :) Lots of beans, veggies, and rice...these carbs aren't slowing me down!
  • suziecue66
    Options
    I don't think it's carbs that are a diet danger...it's what you typically eat with those carbs. Think about it...Pizza: the cheese is bad, not the crust. Sandwhiches: the cheese or mayo or crappy processed meat, not the bread. Pasta: fatty meat and/or cheesey buttery sauces, not the pasta itself. I could go on and on...

Just started a vegan diet a week ago and I'm already down 3 lbs, and that's with no exercising! I'm thinking this lifestyle is my holy grail :) Lots of beans, veggies, and rice...these carbs aren't slowing me down!

I think its a bit soon to announce that lifestyle your holy grail as you've only been at it for a week. Plus you're doing the same thing as low carbers who cut out carbs - cutting out animal products to lose weight.
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Love carbs. I can't give them up. Love love love bread, and tortillas. Just have to cut back a bit.
  • tracivee
    Options
    Considering it's only been a week and I've lost that much without exercising, I'd say it is. I'm not hungry throughout the day, my energy is much greater, and I just feel great. Every other plan I've ever tried left me hungry all day long between my meals-not this time.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    what's wrong with the cheese now??? :noway:
    jeez the way this is going, someone's gonna come up with "the chocolate is bad for you" :frown:
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Considering it's only been a week and I've lost that much without exercising, I'd say it is. I'm not hungry throughout the day, my energy is much greater, and I just feel great. Every other plan I've ever tried left me hungry all day long between my meals-not this time.

Assuming it was all fat that you lost which is highly unlikely. Plus you had a very low calorie, low protein week.
  • tracivee
    Options
    That's why I've been able to keep my cals so low! lol Plant based foods are a lot lighter on the calories than animal based ones (and more filling, in my experience...hence the "my holy grail" reference :) What does my protein intake have to do with the probability that the weight I've lost is fat or water weight? Additionally, I don't enter in every single thing I'm eating...I do have a life ya know. ;) And I plan on sticking to about 45 g a day for protein. I don't need any more than that...
  • tracivee
    Options
    what's wrong with the cheese now??? :noway:
    jeez the way this is going, someone's gonna come up with "the chocolate is bad for you" :frown:

Cheese is very high in calories, super salty, and full of artery-clogging fat...in comparison to a serving of pasta, or bread, or rice which is none of those things.
  • MikeFlyMike
    Options
    Cheese doesn't actually clog your arteries nor does the fat in cheese. Some people do have allergies to dairy (me being one of them in the past).
    http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Carbs are necessary for proper brain funtion. Carbs are your bodies energy.
    Want poor brain function and low energy.... skip the carbs. :/

No.

On many levels.

Recommended Reading - Wheat Belly.
  • Aineko
    Options
    Cheese is very high in calories, super salty, and full of artery-clogging fat...in comparison to a serving of pasta, or bread, or rice which is none of those things.
    well, high in calories is easily solved - don't have too much of it or too often. The fact that something is 'full of artery clogging fat' doesn't mean that fat is actually going to clog your arteries - that depends on many other factors. (cell membrane on each cell in your body contains 'artery clogging fat', so what?). everything in moderation. (I mean, of course it's your choice what you are going to eat, but the justification you just gave doesn't stand).
  • Aineko
    Options
    Recommended Reading - Wheat Belly.
    I just checked it out on amazon. So this book is telling ppl that wheat is making them fat? As far as I'm concerned, it's not wheat that's making you fat, it's sitting on your *kitten* that's making you fat.
    I can guarantee you (intolerances aside) that if you had to physically work yourself, every step on the way, to produce the wheat and white bread you eat - you could eat as much of it as you want.
    look at my profile pic, that's 400g to 500g of white brad every day, and that's just bread, not counting everything else during the day in the country where bakeries are the main fast food places. wheat belly, yeah right. and that's not just me. where I'm coming from, there are not 'overweight' people - if you are not skinny, too bad, you're fat, social standard is just very high coz everyone is skinny.
  • MikeFlyMike
    Options
    So you didn't read it but looked at the description on amazon? Not quite the same.
    If you can eat 5000 kcal of white bread every day, that is awesome.
    I cannot. Many can't. Do what works for you. Clearly eating bread works great for you. Keep it up but let's not pretend your method words for everyone or there wouldn't be an mfp.
  • Wasabinuts
    Wasabinuts Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    In diets past, I have still eaten whole wheat breads and grains and have lost weight. Portion control is the key to any successful diet. I find that every so often there are diets that come out leaving out certain food groups which is sad. A person does need there grains for good health.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m26lz1c3nV1qdclq7.gif

I've lost 50 pounds eating bread.
  • MikeFlyMike
    Options
    Please help save my "health". How am I destroying my good health by not eating grains?.... And BTW, I don't participate in portion control, I eat as much as I want.
  • Aineko
    Options
    So you didn't read it but looked at the description on amazon? Not quite the same.
    fair enough. I just wouldn't cash the money for something that blame obesity problem on something that's obviously not causing same problems in other cultures. It seems too much like somebody making money on people's fears and problems.
    If you can eat 5000 kcal of white bread every day, that is awesome.
    I cannot. Many can't. Do what works for you. Clearly eating bread works great for you. Keep it up but let's not pretend your method words for everyone or there wouldn't be an mfp.
    the only thing is - I'm not talking about a 'method', I'm talking about whole cultures whose cuisine is heavily based on wheat who don't have obesity problems (unless you consider 'active lifestyle' a method). (I explained in my previous post that I'm not talking only about myself)