Vegetarians and vegans. Controversial Topic

Options

Replies

• EmmEfff
    EmmEfff Posts: 14
    Options
    So.....I'm sure you were not the only person in a Jimmy John's eating meat. Did she tell everyone eating meat they were gross? How did she single you out?

That was my thought too. I've been vegan for about a year, for many different reasons. Started as one reason, and morphed into a couple of others - and after a year of solid research, the only valid reason there is for eating meat - IN MY OPINION - is because it tastes good and we're at the top of the food chain. That isn't a good enough reason for me.

That being said, I would always be up for a rational conversation about veganism, but I would never approach a stranger about it, and I wouldn't even try to convince friends or family.

Did this actually happen, or were you trying to start a discussion? :laugh:
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    So.....I'm sure you were not the only person in a Jimmy John's eating meat. Did she tell everyone eating meat they were gross? How did she single you out?

That was my thought too. I've been vegan for about a year, for many different reasons. Started as one reason, and morphed into a couple of others - and after a year of solid research, the only valid reason there is for eating meat - IN MY OPINION - is because it tastes good and we're at the top of the food chain. That isn't a good enough reason for me.

That being said, I would always be up for a rational conversation about veganism, but I would never approach a stranger about it, and I wouldn't even try to convince friends or family.

Did this actually happen, or were you trying to start a discussion? :laugh:
    Hah! You're probably right.
  • PSTreasure
    PSTreasure Posts: 40
    Options
    In an effort to lose weight, get my blood sugar under control and just fell better over all, I stopped eating meat. Amazingly, I realized that it wasn't my diabetic medicine that was upsetting my digestive system, it was the meat I was eating. I have also been able to lose weight and my sugar is well controlled. I still eat fish and occasionally some chicken or turkey, but my tummy does not like beef or pork. I am quite content to eat my protein in the form of veggie protein. There are many sources for us to get our protein. Legumes, tofu, seitan, tempeh, grains & nuts are all great sources of protein. Some vegetarians also eat eggs and dairy products. I don't use milk or eggs, but will use a little cheese on occasion. I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit and whole grains. I have gone from being a BIG couch potato to a "happy to go to the gym and work out" kind of person! Yesterday, I did 30 minutes on the stationary bike and 30 minutes on weight training! Three months ago, I would not have believed I could do that.
    Everyone has the right to eat the way they choose. We all have to make educated decisions about what works best for out bodies. We can have an opinion about food choices, but we don't have the right to make someone feel bad about liking what they are eating!! sometimes old people are just grouchy and opinionated!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian and absolutely believe that it is healthier as a choice if I eat right, which I admit I don't always do.

But no one has the right to go up to strangers and criticise them, that is unforgivably rude.

That includes meat eaters who think it is ok to lay into vegetarians because we insult their morality by our very existence.
  • gbg49229
    gbg49229 Posts: 57
    Options
    I can not understand people that say "I dont eat meat because the animal suffers". I am a avid hunter, spend hours shooting to make sure I can kill the animal with laser accuracy! This same animal without hunting is either going to die of starvation, hit by a car and may live for days with broken bones, bleeding and many other things that will cause a slow death. or it might get ripped apart by other wild animal and be eaten while still alive. I guess if I had to choose, I would rather be shot! I dont preach to these antis, because I dont care about them! I dont try to force them to hunt, but yet they try to force me not to hunt! It sure would be nice if they would live and let live! GREAT job sending this one packing with her tail between her legs. GREAT job!
  • lancelot12
    lancelot12 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am a 46 year old vegetarian and stopped eating meat when I was 21.I was the last person you would think to do this as me and my family always ate good quality meat,also my brother is a butcher.When I had made a `lovely` lamb dinner and started the meal,the lamb just felt like flesh in my mouth and since then I havnt ate meat.BUT each to there own-my eldest daughter is also vegetarian,but my husband and other daughter arnt.I cook meat for them,but make sure I have seperate cooking utensils for meat or no meat.I do eat a very healthy diet but I am still 4 stone overweight!As I say each to there own,I would never preach to other people what they should be eating.
  • gbg49229
    gbg49229 Posts: 57
    Options
    maybe in the wild, the animals get licked to death by kittens! maybe we should let every single animal go right now. there is about 500 MILLION cattle alone right now in the U.S, wonder what would happen if we let them all go, not to mention, pigs, chickens and all the other animals. then we stopped hunting! hmmmmmmmmmmm
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Uh. Animals are humanely killed, they are not "tortured to death". I have been to slaughterhouses and have seen it firsthand.

Firstly I am a vegetarian of 25 years. I am not particularly fit and healthy, but I'm trying and I don't force my views on vegetarianism. It's my choice. My Husband and Children eat meat and they hunt. My first paid job was in a butchers. But I do have to raise an objection to the above comment. Not all animals are humanely killed. Certainly not in the UK. There are some slaughterhouses which slit the throats of scared animals (they are not stunned) and leave the animals to bleed to death. It is not painless and highly distressing. Unless you buy from a butcher who can trace his meat there is no way of knowing how the animal was killed and meats served in schools and hospitals more often than not come from the less humane slaughterhouses.

Yes, but regardless of how crudely a butcher may kill his stock I am nearly certain that of all the predators on earth humans offer the most blissful death to their prey. I say blissful because compared to dying in the wild it is. In nature an animal such as a cow would be devoured alive by a pack of predators, or starved to death. Animals do not die of old age in the wild, surrounded by friends and family as they slowly pass. They die agonizing deaths. Any death a butcher has to offer them is bliss in comparison to what nature has to offer.

Don't want to eat meat? Fine with me. But don't do it thinking you are doing the animals any favors.
  • angevee
    angevee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Uh. Animals are humanely killed, they are not "tortured to death". I have been to slaughterhouses and have seen it firsthand.

Firstly I am a vegetarian of 25 years. I am not particularly fit and healthy, but I'm trying and I don't force my views on vegetarianism. It's my choice. My Husband and Children eat meat and they hunt. My first paid job was in a butchers. But I do have to raise an objection to the above comment. Not all animals are humanely killed. Certainly not in the UK. There are some slaughterhouses which slit the throats of scared animals (they are not stunned) and leave the animals to bleed to death. It is not painless and highly distressing. Unless you buy from a butcher who can trace his meat there is no way of knowing how the animal was killed and meats served in schools and hospitals more often than not come from the less humane slaughterhouses.

Yes, but regardless of how crudely a butcher may kill his stock I am nearly certain that of all the predators on earth humans offer the most blissful death to their prey. I say blissful because compared to dying in the wild it is. In nature an animal such as a cow would be devoured alive by a pack of predators, or starved to death. Animals do not die of old age in the wild, surrounded by friends and family as they slowly pass. They die agonizing deaths. Any death a butcher has to offer them is bliss in comparison to what nature has to offer.

Don't want to eat meat? Fine with me. But don't do it thinking you are doing the animals any favors.

I don't think that in the slightest. As you can see from my post my family hunts their meat and my first job was in a butchers. I did not choose to give up meat for the poor fluffy animals, I chose to give it up as I'd much rather my food wasn't manhandled and used for pranks before it was sold on (I could tell you some stories) and I didn't like the taste.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for about 12 years and have now been a mostly-vegetarian omnivore for about as long. In my time as a vegetarian I met many, many more preachy meat-eaters than I did preachy vegetarians. As a vegetarian I constantly heard comments like "you eat tofu, gross" and "being a vegetarian is so stupid, we were meant to eat animals," "why would you want to do that to yourself" etc. Since beginning to eat meat again, I have eaten meat in front of any number of vegetarians and vegans and heard not a word of criticism.

Of course, there are preachy people of all sorts, and that woman you met was incredibly rude. However, since meat-eating is the norm in this country, I think you'll find that it's vegetarians and vegans who are more often accosted for their food choices.

Edited to add: I love that you call vegetarianism "madness" in a post where you are claiming harassment from a vegetarian for your personal eating choices.

THIS says everything I was thinking.

Ditto all that. Exactly.
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    What was she doing at Jimmy Johns in the first place? Sounds fishy to me. My gut tells me this is a bull**** story.

I'm with you. I call B.S. on the O.P.
    Any veg*n can tell you that preachy omnivores will simply not let go harassing them about their food choices. As a vegetarian myself for the past two years, I have experienced my share of these episodes, mostly within my family. Frankly, I could not care less what someone else is eating.
    The notion that anyone, including this mythical "lady in the Jimmy John's" to approach a stranger eating his lunch and berate him for eating meat in his submarine sandwich simply strains credulity. Why Jimmy John's? Why not a steak house or KFC? Why wasn't she carrying a protest sign outside the restaurant?
    The original post was nothing more than a creative writing assignment. I give it a D-.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Some people are crazy. Some people also feel their opinion should be forced on everyone. Not all vegetarians are like that. I was a vegetarian for 3 years and a vegan for 6 months. I never pushed it or mentioned it to anyone.
    I'm actually working the meat out of my diet again to go vegetarian as my digestive issues are back with meat eating.
  • coconutflower
    Options
    i do think it's funny that veg*ns get all kind of crap for being uppity at omnivores, because i am a vegan and i have NEVER just come out of nowhere and started ragging on someone for what they're eating, but it happens to me coming from meat-eaters ALL. THE. TIME.
    makes it a little hard for me to understand this reputation that veg folks supposedly have, because i have only observed it in reverse.

Actually, it makes sense. The meat-eaters who confront vegetarians about their food choices, are also likely to complain about them to others.

Every group will have some members who behave badly. It's impossible not to. The mistake is generalizing to the whole group, assuming all or most members are like the one you encountered. Also people who hold their opinions dear are more likely to pay attention to and generalize from the people whose behavior supports their view and not notice, or consider as a rare exception, the ones who contradict it.

I totally agree! Here I am just peacefully practising yoga and chowing down on my vegan salad, and someone will come along and take "I am vegan" as an attack on their personal dignity. You can't please everyone, unfortunately, so I just focus on doing what I feel is right.
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have been a non-meat eater for 5 years now. If this is a real story - its people like that lady that keep me from claiming vegetarianism. I don't eat meat for several reasons, but I do not talk about it often, i do not tell others they should not eat meat, in fact i don't even like the word vegetarian. People assume that there are rules to it, I choose what I want to at as should anyone else, and nobody has the right to tell me im right or wrong for my choices.

Why dont I eat meat? Economics, environmental, personal health benefits, prefer taste of properly prepared vegetarian diet. That being said I do cook meat for friends and family, and im not going to complain if a chunk of sausage gets on my half of the pizza.

People should just worry about themselves and stop focusing on what other people do. Sorry that the lady you encountered was that way, If i had been there I would have probably told her to mind her own business (probably in less kind words), and gone on with my day. I do not like vegetarians who preach, they give the rest of us a bad name.
  • yourpalacf
    yourpalacf Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    We raised and butchered our own chickens for awhile, so I spent a lot of time on backyard chicken boards. Some funny trolls in there. My two favorites were "Your children should be taken away by CPS!" and "Why don't you get your meat from the store, WHERE IT'S MADE!" :laugh:

Seriously?!? Absurd.
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You were nice, I would have told her to mind her business and then would have proceeded to tell her what she could kiss, how long she could kiss it, and exactly where she could go to wipe her lips off.

I don't do people being up in other people business.
  • fayglet
    fayglet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    WHY I'M A VEGETARIAN: 16 YEARS!!!

I'm 25 and have been vegetarian since I was 8. After a year, my father saw my energy improve and became vegetarian; my younger brother, who idolized my dad, followed suit. We are part of a religious Jewish community that loooves meat so we sometimes have difficulties going to friends' meals, eating out etc.

Why did I become vegetarian? Because my parents raised me with 15 pets, multiple camping trips each summer and a compost bin before they were mandated. I learned how to garden and I was the youngest person in my city to volunteer with injured wildlife. When I hit 8 and saw a roasted turkey, it hit me really hard - the thing had been alive! There was no way I could eat meat after that.

Was I a stupid kid? Of course! I spent the first 2 weeks of being a vegetarian going "mooo!" to my friends when they ate meat. I didn't have friends for a few days after that. I learned very quickly that my choice not to eat meat is MY choice. I NEVER EVER tell other people how to eat. I NEVER EVER tell other people not to wear leather.

I still go camping, I still recycle and I still love animals. I don't eat meat and I don't wear leather for my own very personal ethical and spiritual reasons. I am so sorry a stupid lady spoke to you that way, but please don't let all veggies be represented by her actions. Most of us are just trying to make the world a better place in our little way.

As for preachy meat eaters... You guys need to drop it too. I don't tell YOU to stop eating meat - so stop telling ME that tofu is gross or I'm weak or my lifestyle choice is silly.

WHEW thanks for letting me rant!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian my whole life. I really don't care who eats what lol.
    I can't stand people who have to nag others like that. I believe certain animals were put here for people to consume.
    Just not me.
  • weightlosshippie
    weightlosshippie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm into eating meat, just not much for eating antibiotics or hormones or eating animals that have eaten other animals. Love some good, ethically grown chicken thighs or a great grass-fed burger though.