Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• jodiex92
    jodiex92 Posts: 56
    Options
    What about the lean trying to get leaner?
    I'm 22% bodyfat which is below average for a woman but want to get down to 18% or so to look ripped.
    A few questions I have (as there is so many diff info around, hard to know whats true)
    1. Do you have to go low carb to achieve this? (some have advised restricting fruit, oats etc)
    2. Is it possible to lean out within 6 weeks?(when your already in ok shape)
    3. By eating under the even the 500cal defiet, will this matter much if its is short term? (say 2-3 weeks or so)
    Thanks

To add to my previous question ^^ - I saw you replied to someone saying it is essentially a calorie defiet. Does this apply to trying to become ripped and wanting to do so within a time period like 6 weeks?
  • EnthusedMeerkat
    EnthusedMeerkat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Got a few questions...

Shin splints - I get them whether I run or walk (quicker when I run though). I don't understand why I constantly get them...I've Googled around and done some stretching beforehand, used heating pads / ice, etc...pretty much any suggestions I could find, I used. Any tips on how to avoid them? Am I just destined not to run? I once gave myself three weeks off of running (used elliptical and bike instead) when they got really bad because everything I read pointed to, "give your legs a rest,"...within 3 days of starting back up, they were back.

Wrist pain...I posted a thread last week about it and got one suggestion that I haven't tried yet. Besides what they suggested, do you have any other tips?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/585156-wrist-pain
    my original post -
    I have a lot of pain in my wrists when doing bench dips and other exercises on my wrists.

cb5fb772-0405-43ed-95b4-61b6c1a6a120.jpg

Any tips?

Thanks!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I have been on MFP for a little over a month now and lost the first 10lbs pretty quickly. I am now on my third week of no weight loss. My question is more related to calorie intake than anything.

I work out 5-6 days a week. Last week I started 2 a day workouts. 30 DS in the morning and swimming for an hour in the afternoon (usually burning between 500 - 700 calories a day).

I have had my calories set at 1200 and always ate back my exercise calories so I would net 1200 (eating about 1700-1900 calories to reach a net of 1200). On Friday I raised my calories to 1320 becuase I have stopped losing. SH\hould I be eating back all of my exercise calories so my net is 1320? Should I reduce my calories back down to 1200 and not eat back all of my exercise calories? Am I eating to little? SO confused and aggrivated about my lack of weight loss.

A deficit is a deficit. Don't eat back your calories. Example: I know on average if I don't do anything throughout the day, I'll burn around 2,500 calories give or take. Say I want to be in a 500 calorie deficit every day and that I am burning 600 calories a day via added activity. Add that 600 to my 2,500 and I have 3,100 calories I've burned for the day. My goal now would be to intake around 2,600 calories for that day to make a 500 calorie deficit. Understand?....If I were to eat back my 600 calories burned from added activity, then I would be just back up to maintenance not losing or gaining.
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    BUMP
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    BUMP! :bigsmile:
  • Cathe
    Cathe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    bump!
    Great read, tonnes of great information ... thanks for posting this :bigsmile:
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    where can i go to get my body fat tested?
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Do you use a heart rate monitor to track calories burned? Do you find them to be accurate?

No, they can give a decent general, but better in the long run to just learn your body. Cardio equipment for instance is sometimes VERY skewed. One will say I burned 800 calories in an hour, while another says 600. Over the years I've learned to predict my calorie burned via intensity levels. For example, I'll hop of the treadmill and in my mind I'm knowing 'Ok, I've at LEAST burned X amount of calories, but I definitely didn't burn any MORE than Y.
  • kellyj9600
    kellyj9600 Posts: 5
    Options
    I would like to know if cardio, whether it be jogging, jumping rope, burpees or jump squats, created equal. I have a friend that feels that jogging is a waste of time. I feel if your heart rate stays in the burning zone no matter what it is you are benefiting from it. I usually burn between 450-600 calories jogging according to HRM. I know weight training is needed and I do weight train 3 days a week. The other 4 days is usually jogging 45-60 minutes. Should I be doing something different?
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    A deficit is a deficit. Don't eat back your calories. Example: I know on average if I don't do anything throughout the day, I'll burn around 2,500 calories give or take. Say I want to be in a 500 calorie deficit every day and that I am burning 600 calories a day via added activity. Add that 600 to my 2,500 and I have 3,100 calories I've burned for the day. My goal now would be to intake around 2,600 calories for that day to make a 500 calorie deficit. Understand?....If I were to eat back my 600 calories burned from added activity, then I would be just back up to maintenance not losing or gaining.
    I agree with most of what you are saying (and thanks for the thread) - but doesn't this assume the person is on maintenance calories? Some people (and this is the way MFP is set up if you have it set to any "weight loss" goal) have a deficit built into their daily recommended intake...
  • Merodie
    Merodie Posts: 21
    Options
    bump:heart:
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    great info! Thanks!
  • MicheleTh
    MicheleTh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Working out for 6 weeks 30 - 60 min 4 -5 days a week. Limiting processed carbs. Not seeing any weight loss. I am a 41 year old female. I am 5'1 and weigh 160. Have been trying to loose weight and am so discouraged. I try to keep my caloric intake around 1400 a day.

Any ideas?
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    My question is this: I can't afford a gym membership so I have to do everything at home, without it costing me alot of money what do you recommend I start with to have in my home to help me try to loose some weight as far as exercise. I have a problem with one of my legs where right now all I can do is walk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, my goal is to eventually build myself up to where I can run so that I can do some type of race with my sisters.

There are a lot of inexpensive ways to workout on a beginning program. Pick up a couple pairs of dumbbell or resistance bands at your local Walmart, or grab one of Jillian's dvds. It's not necessarily what you have, but that you're getting activity in, and consistently pushing yourself a little harder. Look at most special forces....their programs for the most part are all based on calisthenics(bodyweight exercises). Pushups, lunges, pullups, burpees, moutain climbers, jumping jacks, leg raises, etc. If your leg is bothering you, I would first focus on gettinng that back to 100%. I've had my share of injuries in the past, and I can say better to let it fully heal, and then come back 100% than to risk it getting injured and just setting you back even further.

The Journey Gym and the TRX trainer are also decent for beginners yeh. Stay safe, and take it one day at a time. Hold yourself accountable and you'll get there.

LOVE the TRX... I purchased the TRX FORCE Kit: Tactical ....Its great because you can take it anywhere..From your house to the park...beach...vacation...You can do EVERYTHING on it!:smile:
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Hi :) You've had loads of helpful advice, so I thought I'd ask you as well :)
    I have been on this journey for AGES now, I started in September 2010. In the first 9 months I lost quite consistently, but not much, got 7 kg down, but since may last year, literally nothing has happened, I am still the same weight, maybe fitter though. In April, still last year, I started working out with a personal trainer, so I am exercising regularly, about 2-3 times a week at the gym, programs by my trainer, and 1-2 times a week Badminton or Squash. I have experimented with calories, upping them, lowering them. Nothing works. I have tried everything, I feel, and still the weight, nor the inches will come off. (I might add that I have hypothyroidism, but I'm taking my medicine, so that should not be an issue)
    My trainer said that as long as my core, especially the lower back are not strong enough, I simply won't lose weight. What can I do to not become desperate in the mean time? Thanks :)

Hmmm, I'd like your trainer to elaborate on his comment. What are your stats?....For most females, a good general is 1,200 calories a day in the beginning. Metabolism rules EVERYthing. Also look into hidden calories. You CAN lose the weight. Think of it this way: It's a marathon made up of sprints. There will be plateaus a long the way, but in time you WILL get there. I would recommend trying 1,200 for 2-4 weeks and seeing where you are at the end. Stress can also make your body hold on too. Things to think about.
  • NeilsWifex
    NeilsWifex Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm a 5ft female and always seem to maintain a weight of 136lb putting me in the overweight category........I struggle so much to lose!
    I've been running 5k once to twice a week and just joined a bootcamp once a week, I try to have calls around 1200 a day.

I'm not really noticing any change in measurements at all and find it really down heartening......when can I expect to see results?......and since I struggle so much is it my body's way of telling me I'm at the weight it prefers?!

Thank you do much
  • redcut
    redcut Posts: 176
    Options
    What can I do to loose when I've hit a plateau? Was loosing and now it went in reverse?? Still exercising, changing as to not do the same everyday. Eating the same as well.
    Same here I have upped my calorie intake because I thought 1200 was to low and I platued quickly on it. I now get 1590 is that to much?
  • shatoora_amoora
    Options
    I really appreciate you reaching out. I started losing weight seriously February of 2011. I've been able to lose about 40 pounds and keep it off. I haven't been losing consistantly for a few months now. As of about 3 weeks ago I started replacing my bread for sprouted bread and making better choices than I have already been making. I don't drink sugary drinks or fried foods and all that horrible stuff. I hired a personal trainer 2 weeks ago and training 1- 2 times a week. I do some group exercise a couple days a week also. Because of my work schedule I pretty much only get my workouts in THursday-Friday. Maybe that's what i'm doing wrong? Working out 2 days in a row for about 2-3 hours. I log my food here and i'm usually always under so I'm sure theres a deficit. I haven't seen a move on the scale and can't stand looking at my body anymore. I'm 228 and need to lose at least 50 pounds. Please help/teach me to find the simplicity in my mind to lose the weight. I'd like to lose a significant amount in 6 months time and don't want to lose any more time. Thank you.
  • charming72
    charming72 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump