women doing the "work" while men stand around?

Options

Replies

• missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    When it comes to the homefront, I do just about everything. If I don't get the ladder out and put up the Christmas lights, then we won't have lights. Same for the tree. Same story for fertilizing, weeding, mowing the lawn and putting out the trash. My husband has health issues that keep him from doing these things. I don't get weird looks, but I wonder if the neighbors wonder about me because I'm the only woman that does such stuff around here.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHA... This is too funny. When we go to check out at the grocery store, my sweet darling knows to stand back. I'm so incredibly OCD about how things go on the conveyor belt. Here I am a 5'2" woman (and not large one) and he's about 5'11" and over 200lbs, and I'm the one heaving light and heavy things alike. :laugh: I don't really pay attention to other people when I'm unloading the basket, but I'm sure we have to be getting some looks.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My hubby is very old fashioned, (probably because he's almost twice my age lol) he has always spoiled me beyond belief which is the reason I ended up on this site in the first place, with each of my pregnancies he acted like I was a friggin porcelain doll , if he could have carried me everywhere he would have. Now however, unless we are in public he doesn't have a big problem letting me do my own thing . I admit to having bad thoughts about men if they are not helping and the woman looks like she is struggling , but that's bc most guys around here are generally just selfish lazy pricks.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    My husband has had two surgeries on his neck having two different discs replaced and he is not able to lift heavy items. So I am the one hauling the bags of cat food etc while he stands there feeling like a jerk knowing that people are thinking exactly what you described. I feel bad for him but it is what it is so yes we have experienced the looks etc. I think he should wear his old neck brace while out and that would solve it.

Yeah, when mine had his appendix out, I wouldn't let him lift or anything for a couple of weeks. (He had some internal damage.) So not only was I doing my usual heavy lifting, I was telling him "No, honey. I'll get that." I can just imagine what folks were thinking.
  • cbi1972
    cbi1972 Posts: 2
    Options
    As a man, I say "screw yard work" not that I think the woman "should" do it.
    I would just rather have a gravel patio, or wooded lot than have to cut grass or take care of it.
    If it is the woman wanting the nice lawn, then she can do it herself or pay for it to be done
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It has a lot to do with where you're from, I think. I live in the South, so people here tend to take saying "ma'am" and holding doors pretty seriously. I've even had a professor at school tell us that we're all about food and holding doors. :bigsmile:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i don't judge other people's situations. i try to do what I can for my wife, not because she can't, but because I want to make things easier for her as much as possible. and that not only includes "heavy lifting," but also little things like dishes, or backing up photos from her phone to an external HD.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I still open the car door for my wife, I hold the door (not just for women but for ALL people), I say ma'am and sir. But that's how we roll in Oklahoma. I will tell my girls that if the guys they date do not hold the door for them and others to move on because to me, that is the biggest indicator as to if someone is a good person. If you hold the door for complete strangers and look them in the eye, nod, and smile at them, you are going to do good things elsewhere.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    My fiance has back problems and we were outside the other day and I was washing the car for him because he was hurting and he was pretty much just standing there telling me when i missed spots haha. But everytime someone would come by he would take the sponge from me because he didn't like the way it looked with me washing the car while he was watching haha. He is a mans man and doesn't like me to do things that are a guys job.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The other day my husband and I were at home depot getting some supplies for the house/garden. I insisted on pushing the flatbed cart carrying all our lumber and soil around the store and then loading/unloading it into our truck....just to get a little bit of extra exercise in. Similarly at work, I tend to carry the large buckets of seawater from room to room instead of putting them on a cart. I realize this isn't much, but I figure every little bit helps. Additionally I'm stubborn and also well aware that I am able to do these things, so I don't see a need to have someone else do them for me.

The problem is that we definitely live in an area where women are treated as such: I've been called ma'am for at least 5 years now and I've never opened my own car door when my husband is around, let alone a door to a store when any male is present. So when I'm pushing around this heavy cart and obviously struggling and my husband is leisurely strolling ahead of me, we tend to get some dirty looks. My boss even scolded a male coworker for having me do all the heavy lifting one day, even though I insisted on it. These people giving us these looks or shaking their heads at us obviously don't know whats going on and just think my husband is being a jerk.

Curious if anyone else does this type of thing or experienced it? Or alternatively, if you saw one of the situations described above would you think the guy was being inconsiderate, or would you think something else (the woman didn't want someone doing things for her or she was trying to exercise)

Um, ma'am is just a sign of respect. I can't see how that's bad.

I know some people don't like it because it makes them feel old. "Ma'am is my mother." (Similarly, I know a lot of guys that don't like being called "sir" for the same reason - "Sir is my father.")
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I lived on a farm for 10 years with my all female family. Before we were married my husband helped us with our annual hay delivery. He was pretty surprised when I climbed on top of a huge stack of hay and started tossing down bales. (I was very stylish and girly, always wearing makeup, having painted nails, etc. so it was weird for him to see me do hard work like that.)

I had always lived on the West Coast, and now in New Mexico, where men and women are a little more equal. No one thinks it's weird if I'm the one pushing or unloading the cart. But to be fair, if I'm unloading, he's loading the kids in the SUV.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    It has a lot to do with where you're from, I think. I live in the South, so people here tend to take saying "ma'am" and holding doors pretty seriously. I've even had a professor at school tell us that we're all about food and holding doors. :bigsmile:

This is true though. I once went to a place and had a door opened for me AND a plate of biscuits AND tea offered to me at the same time... I was like, where am I...? :laugh:
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    So you were struggling and your husband decided it best not to help? Last time I checked it was respectful to offer assistance to a woman, especially if she is physically struggling. And yes, it is common courtesy to hold the door open for NOT ONLY WOMEN, but men. I am sorry you don't like to be respected.
  • BrionyTallis
    BrionyTallis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I grew up, that's how it worked ie men opening doors for ladies and carrying the heavy stuff for us. The other day I was walking up to the door of the school and not only did the man not hold the door for me but he let is slam in my face. Nice, eh?

This is how I grew up too. And I've had men, and women, let the door "slam" in my face. I open doors, hold elevators, help people with their packages of both genders, etc. People just seem to appreciate it.

But as to the OP I've seen the looks less and less as the years have passed, and as another poster pointed out you never know a couple's particular situation. I have a friend whose husband is in a wheelchair and, that is easy for people to see and understand.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Im just kind of sitting here in admiration of you cause I do the same and never thought of this. I have no advice, just kudos.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I am much smaller than my DH and he has had 3 fusions and neck problems too. He looks healthy and fit, and unless you know him you would not know about his 'limitations'. He still over does and will even argue with me if I try and load something heavy on the cart in the store or unload at home. Even things I am perfectly capable of doing. On the other hand, there is NO WAY I will do his yard work, that is his baby and no one but him can do it right LOL.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    So you were struggling and your husband decided it best not to help? Last time I checked it was respectful to offer assistance to a woman, especially if she is physically struggling. And yes, it is common courtesy to hold the door open for NOT ONLY WOMEN, but men. I am sorry you don't like to be respected.

You can't get stronger unless you do something challenging, and if it's challenging, it might mean you struggle doing it. If she wanted help, she wouldn't have insisted on doing it herself.

That said, there are still areas where it's expected that the men do all of the heavy work and hold the doors open and women are "supposed" to sit back and basically not return the courtesy. It's one thing to be equally courteous, it's another to act as if women can do anything for themselves solely because they don't have dangly bits.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options

You can't get stronger unless you do something challenging, and if it's challenging, it might mean you struggle doing it. If she wanted help, she wouldn't have insisted on doing it herself.

That said, there are still areas where it's expected that the men do all of the heavy work and hold the doors open and women are "supposed" to sit back and basically not return the courtesy. It's one thing to be equally courteous, it's another to act as if women can do anything for themselves solely because they don't have dangly bits.

I do not expect anything, I do however expect respect. This issue does not need to be made into anything other than a courtesy issue. So the OP and her husband had a mutual agreement...fantastic. She should not be shocked when they are given odd looks then. lol.
  • jessicas0215
    Options
    I support you 100%. In fact, I insist that my wife do all the heavy lifting and manual labor. Sometimes she grumbles a bit, but, after I forward your post to her, I'm sure she'll see that this is just an expression of my love for her and thank me tonight, after she gets the lawn mowed.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
    Very nice!!:laugh:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    When I grew up, that's how it worked ie men opening doors for ladies and carrying the heavy stuff for us. The other day I was walking up to the door of the school and not only did the man not hold the door for me but he let is slam in my face. Nice, eh?

Wow. That's awful.....I always hold doors......and have taught my 5YO son to do the same. It's only right.