Couch to 5K anyone?!? We start on monday!

Options

Replies

• Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Starting on Monday!!! :bigsmile: Anyone else care to join me???

So up for it! I'll have to get up early to do it since monday's are my long days, but I'm motivated now and if I don't keep the momentum I'll falter. So tomorrow morning it is! whoot!

Congrats on everyone on here! Keep it up!

And I still need shoe advice. :blushing: :smile:

I'll be running tomorrow morning with you guys!!!!!! I'll be thinking of you running along with me!
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be out of town tomorrow and will be going to my old gym. The have a small indoor track and then of course there's the treadmill. I really want to try running on the treadmill. But I am and always have been scared to death of running on that thing. Walking has never been a problem, but I have visuals of me and blood when I think of running on it. Any tips or should I just stick with the indoor track?

I know it sounds stupid. But at what speed is a good speed to start jogging? I walk at a 3.5 or if I'm feeling really good, a 4.0. Yeah. so as dumb as the question is...any answers?

By the way, my ankle feels much better and I'll be re-starting the C25k when I go tomorrow. =)
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    W6D1 completed - although it was actually day 2 - I felt so good when the 5 minute run of day 1 was up that I just kept going and did the 10 and 10. I'll see how it goes on Wednesday my next run - if I don't feel up to it I'll do day 1, but I'm going to try day 2 again.

How did everyone elses run go today? I was thinking of you guys, running along with me virtually!!!!! It really was cool under the stars thinking of the others that are doing this program. All those courageous kindred spirits running with me!

And OomarianneoO I'm glad to hear your ankle is better! Can't give advice on the tread mill though, never ran on one, they scare me too!
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    Treadmills... -shiver- I pulled a George Jetson on one when I was 12. Since then I can't get on one without having a small panic attack. No conducive to a workout. If you're not -that- afraid of them, go for it. Just up the speed until you hit your normal stride.

If I've now given you yet another image to fear in your head, I'm sorry. Stick to the indoor track. Panic attacks in the gym are no fun.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Kurneckc - you are my inspiration to make it to week 6!! Congrats.

W3 D1 - DONE (repeating W3 - starting 6th week of program)

So, I just finished my run. I'm repeating W3:grumble: I had originally planned to move straight to W4 this week, but after missing D3 last week and taking the weekend off due to soreness - I decided to once again play it safe :grumble:

I also decided to see a physiotherapist - made an appointment for this Wednesday, even. Since I stopped running originally due to injury and I'm experiencing some symptoms of that old injury still and a lot of soreness - I decided to be smart this time and go see someone to help keep me injury free. I'm rediscovering my love of being physical - of running - and I'm not giving it up again. Thanks you all of you on this post, that is! Y'all keep me running!:drinker:

How is everyone else doing this week?
  • ckholmes
    Options
    Hi Everyone, This post looks really motivating, Can I join in ? I have allot of weight to lose and need the encouragement and motivation, you all are doing so great.

Is it too late to join if youve gone past youre week one already?
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    Kurneckc - you are my inspiration to make it to week 6!! Congrats.

W3 D1 - DONE (repeating W3 - starting 6th week of program)

So, I just finished my run. I'm repeating W3:grumble: I had originally planned to move straight to W4 this week, but after missing D3 last week and taking the weekend off due to soreness - I decided to once again play it safe :grumble:

I also decided to see a physiotherapist - made an appointment for this Wednesday, even. Since I stopped running originally due to injury and I'm experiencing some symptoms of that old injury still and a lot of soreness - I decided to be smart this time and go see someone to help keep me injury free. I'm rediscovering my love of being physical - of running - and I'm not giving it up again. Thanks you all of you on this post, that is! Y'all keep me running!:drinker:

How is everyone else doing this week?

Wow thanks! But yes, it's a very good idea to go and get checked out. I was where you are at when my soreness started to subside - but before that I could honestly barely walk. Let us know how that appointment turns out! I'm rooting for you!
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    Hi Everyone, This post looks really motivating, Can I join in ? I have allot of weight to lose and need the encouragement and motivation, you all are doing so great.

Yes please join up!!! The C25K is a fantastic program! We have people here at all levels, someone that posts is already starting on the 10 k program! :) it's good to have people at all levels for encouragement! Glad you're here!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    And I still need shoe advice. :blushing: :smile:

What shoe advice do you need?
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be out of town tomorrow and will be going to my old gym. The have a small indoor track and then of course there's the treadmill. I really want to try running on the treadmill. But I am and always have been scared to death of running on that thing. Walking has never been a problem, but I have visuals of me and blood when I think of running on it. Any tips or should I just stick with the indoor track?

I know it sounds stupid. But at what speed is a good speed to start jogging? I walk at a 3.5 or if I'm feeling really good, a 4.0. Yeah. so as dumb as the question is...any answers?

By the way, my ankle feels much better and I'll be re-starting the C25k when I go tomorrow. =)

I do the treadmill, and I normally walk at 3.5, 4.0 if I'm feeling good, like you said. I run at 5.0...on the longer runs I'll drop down to 4.8 for like a minute or two, so when I bump it back up to 5.0, it'll feel like I had a break! :laugh: Then the last 30-45 seconds or so, I bump it up to 6.0! You'll know what's too fast or too slow for you. But, it is better to start slow and build up first. i'd rather complete the whole thing, then work on speed. You'll never be able to do it if you try to sprint through it first! :laugh:

And you won't fall if you start the machine slowly, while you're standing on it. If you put it up to full speed and then try to jump on it, yeah, that could be bad. You'll be fine though...I'm so clumsy I fall going up the stairs at least once a week :laugh: , and I've never head a problem with the treadmill. *crosses fingers, knocks wood*
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

Absolutely you can join and welcome! :flowerforyou: It's definitely not too late. What week are you on now, week 2? Good luck to you. Let us know how you're doing. I love it! :happy:
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Ok week one complete! I was sick and too an extra day off between 2 and 3 so I suppose I will wait for tomorrow to start week 2! So noone answered last time I asked if this program has helped step up their weightloss I am sorta plateauing
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    Ok week one complete! I was sick and too an extra day off between 2 and 3 so I suppose I will wait for tomorrow to start week 2! So noone answered last time I asked if this program has helped step up their weightloss I am sorta plateauing

I plead guilty as charged. I did not answer because this program caused me to plateau for 2 weeks. :happy:

I didn't want to discourage you!!! SHBoss says it's because your muscles are retaining more glycemic acid in the form of water, etc...

So it's not fat, it's good for you. :-)

It's not contributing to my weight loss because I do eat back my exercise calories - I am at a 1 lb a week deficit. but I get to eat more when I exercise and it has REALLY done a job on my legs, and even my lower stomach and back! But the legs are quickly becoming like iron!! Who would have believed that? not me! :laugh:

It's fine to take more than one day off in between if you need it! Glad you're here!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

I was on a plateau for a few months. After doing the c25k for a few weeks I've finally broken through the plateau and lost a couple pounds. So yes, it has definitely stepped up my weight loss. I'm looking forward to finally losing those last few pounds. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Sooooo....I had a weekend of OVEREATING!!!!!! I decided to get back on board and it's raining outside, so I walked the stairs for about 30 minutes. Hopefully the weather clears up this week so that I can run outside again. I may just do the stairs this week...
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'd like to join this group as well. I just did Week 3, Day 1 yesterday but would like to be involved in a motivational group to keep going at it.

I am currently using Robert Ullrey's pod casts which work great.

Does anyone do more than the three times a week and if so, do you find it beneficial or detrimental to your progress? I want to do a cardio type exercise at least 5 days a week but I have knee issues and can't do step or eliptical machines at this point. So I was wondering if anyone had advice on whether doing it 4-5 times a week would be good or not.

Thanks,
    Tammy
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    Hi all,

I'd like to join this group as well. I just did Week 3, Day 1 yesterday but would like to be involved in a motivational group to keep going at it.

Does anyone do more than the three times a week and if so, do you find it beneficial or detrimental to your progress? I want to do a cardio type exercise at least 5 days a week but I have knee issues and can't do step or eliptical machines at this point. So I was wondering if anyone had advice on whether doing it 4-5 times a week would be good or not.

Thanks,
    Tammy

I tried repeating the same week's days 4 or 5 times a week and it was very hard on my knees. So I just started walking very vigorously on my days off of the c25k. But your mileage may vary. I just paid attention to how my body was doing - if my knees and ankles were hurting too much I'd just walk in stead.

And welcome!!!!
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    Sooooo....I had a weekend of OVEREATING!!!!!! I decided to get back on board and it's raining outside, so I walked the stairs for about 30 minutes. Hopefully the weather clears up this week so that I can run outside again. I may just do the stairs this week...

Wow, the stars for 30 minutes?!?!?

Sounds hard, but good!
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Wow, the stars for 30 minutes?!?!?

Sounds hard, but good!

It was actually harder than running :noway: I was drenched with sweat :blushing: Too bad I have to work the rest of the day! Oh well...my coworkers will just have to deal with me being stinky as usual :laugh:
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks,
    Tammy

I think 4 days a week is probably fine - but 5 for a beginner... might be hard on the body. I find the days off very necessary for recovery. As you build up your body to run - then adding days will be easier. Can you do the stationary bike (or a real one) - biking is a good complement to running - works different leg muscles. Walking is good. If you go to a gym - how about the rowing machine - another good complement to running and it works the whole body.