Stupid things people say when they hear you're dieting

Options

Replies

• Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My mom goes "I can't make changes to this recipe for you. I'm an old woman (53) so I NEED meat on my bones."

Then she added 2 FREAKING CUPS of full fat parmesan cheese. I was adding her recipe to the MFP database because I wanted some of her Tortellini. I NEVER knew she put 1550 calories of cheese in it. Her recipe doubled in calories when she did that.

Now the joke around my house is:

I'm not sure this salad is gonna bind properly. I should add 2 cups of parmesan cheese.
    OR
    Something is missing in this breaded chicken breast. It's a little bland. I should add 2 cups of parmesan cheese.
    Or
    You know what would go really well with this low-fat chocolate pudding? 2 cups of parmesan cheese.

:laugh:

14839892.png
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    "You'll gain back all the weight after you get married..."

Ummm.... what?? I lost 80 BEFORE meeting husband, lost another 30 BEFORE we were engaged. What makes you think that having a ceremony and signing a peice of paper is going to cause me to go back to my unhealthy lifestyle??

Gah! Still makes me mad thinking about this and it was said over a year ago... husband and I have been married for 8 months. And I currently weigh just as much now as I did on our wedding day (would be less if I hadn't eaten those darn Girl Scout cookies yesterday -- LOL!).

HAHA - getting married is what's MAKING me lose weight! I gained so much because I was in an abusive home and I was depressed all the time. Now I'm happy with my life, and I want to look as good on the outside as I do on the inside!
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    "You're tall, you can afford to weigh more" -

The extra six inches I have on you should NOT equate to 50-100 more pounds. Sorry.
  • crystalkiss
    crystalkiss Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If they know I am doing a lifestyle change, they still ask "Do you want some cake?"
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    "What do you need to lose weight for"?

GET THE EFF OUT OF HERE....I am obviously fat....sheesh!!!

love this.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Guy hasn't seen my in quite a while. Looks me up and down: "Have you been sick?"

Moron.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite

"Dont lose anymore weight you wont look good nekid."

Cause my current flabby belly is so sexy right! BTW my little brother told me this.
  • FrostyFour
    Options
    Here's one from my husband trying to be supportive... so cute...

"You know what, honey, you're doing so well that I've decided I'm going to go on your diet with you. All I'm going to eat is hot dogs!"

WTF? LOL Sooo many things wrong with this.
  • Bdde
    Bdde Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I get told that I always lose, but I ALWAYS put it back on! Uggh!! How about a little support! And I'm not dieting, I'm making a lifestyle change! but thanks for telling me that I'm always on a diet! end vent! haha

No way! not cool! sometimes people don't know when to just shut up!
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    Worst things I ever heard were doozies (and both by the same person who was a certified personal trainer!)

"Do you know why bad things have happened to you and you gained weight? It's because you must have been a bad person in a previous life. "

"If you really want to lose weight, here's what you do. Every day, eat 2 cups of brown rice, 1 cup of carrot juice, and 2 cups of milk... and *that's all you should eat*."

WTF previous life? I had a doctor once who wouldnt help me with an ailment because she believed it would resolve in my next life.

Time for a new trainer and a new doctor.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    "Don't waste that, it's perfectly good!"

Perfectly good as in, could kill me if I keep eating it? Yep. It's perfectly good, alright.
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    love it
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Wow you've lost 37 lbs already. I didn't realize how fat you are........
  • katmont
    katmont Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just love it when poeple tell me to have " just have one" like really that's how I got to the weight i am now
  • missquela
    missquela Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    "you weigh HOW much? you carry it so well!!" no i don't, go eff yourself.

"you're on a diet? oh, good." ;-P

"why aren't you eating any of this delicious cheesy pizza? here, just have a slice."
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I honestly got this one from the mother in law "Yes, its fried, but its okra, and thats a vegetable, so that's GOOD for you. Besides, I cooked it in the deep fryer, and it cooks so fast that way, it doesn't have time to soak up much of the oil"

The woman taught biology and anatomy at a college level.. she KNOWS how silly she's being when she says this.

And from my father in law, referencing how I had just said I had to stop somewhere seperate for my lunch, since everyone else I was with wanted Krystal burgers, I called everything on the menu "junk", he says "... junk, what? Food.. its still food even if you think its junk food, you could have eaten it.. you didn't HAVE to go somewhere else!"

Oh and my personal favorite "Yeah, that might be better FOR you.. but I won't eat it, becuase it just doesn't taste as good"

All of this from my in laws... I just happened to marry into a family that stay very tall and lean even though they grew up eating deep fried, buttered everything! My husband will eat healthfully with me.. but the others think a salad smothered in ranch dressing and a BLT are "good" choices..
  • FrostyFour
    Options
    I honestly got this one from the mother in law "Yes, its fried, but its okra, and thats a vegetable, so that's GOOD for you.

Yes, and the carrot cake my MIL bought *just for me* was healthy too!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    "Shouldn't you be taking a break from your diet since you're on vacation?" And GAIN weight, no thanks.
    "Why are you going to the hotel gym? Its a vacation" Uh, I ate cake for dessert and don't want to find it on the scale when I go home!

Lifestyle change is forever, not just when you're at home!
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    this is the type of diet my son will be on when he can eat solids. he will not ever know what mcdonalds tastes like. even if it requires lying to parents and telling them he is diabetic. We live in a day and age where we know more about health than ever before, there is no excuse for children going up obese in todays world.

This is what I'm going to do when I have a baby someday. I'm practicing making all these healthy foods not just for me but for my future husband and children so we may live a healthy life together. Such a difficult concept right? I think getting my boyfriend to eat better is going to be the hardest part, he loves his wings and mozzarella sticks. :laugh:

I love it when kids eat healthy! I have 3 little nephews who LOVE healthy food! When their mom brings out the cherry tomatoes, you'd think she's bring them freshly baked cookies, they get so excited! Oh and they will pick the tomato slices off of pizza and eat them plain XD
  • Marvalm3
    Marvalm3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    this is the type of diet my son will be on when he can eat solids. he will not ever know what mcdonalds tastes like. even if it requires lying to parents and telling them he is diabetic. We live in a day and age where we know more about health than ever before, there is no excuse for children going up obese in todays world.

This is what I'm going to do when I have a baby someday. I'm practicing making all these healthy foods not just for me but for my future husband and children so we may live a healthy life together. Such a difficult concept right? I think getting my boyfriend to eat better is going to be the hardest part, he loves his wings and mozzarella sticks. :laugh:

My 5 year old daughter has never tasted soda, and almost exclusively drinks water and milk (but mostly water when it's warm). She loves apples and grapes and one of her very favorite foods is a sweet potato, just baked with nothing on it. While she is still a fairly typical 5 year old that loves the occasional treat of mcdonalds chicken nuggets (with apple slices!) or chocolate chip cookie, I try to make sure that our daily choices are nutritionally sound and we sometimes play a game where she thinks of foods and asks me if they are good for her or not.