Vegetarians and vegans. Controversial Topic

Options

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options

I never said "all" but it is vegans and vegetarians who get in your face when in these fields, the animal rights crowd.

There are extremist groups of people about any controversial issue- abortion, environment, religion, etc. We plant based eaters never voted those people in to represent the rest of us.

The vocal minority!
  • lolcatftw
    lolcatftw Posts: 36
    Options
    I don't care how people get their nutrients, just as long as they do. The simple fact remains, humans wouldn't have the digestive enzymes for metabolizing animal meat if we weren't meant to eat them. Lest we forget our CANINE teeth? We are omnivores--plain and simple. But, just because we are meant to eat meat doesn't mean we have to. No reason to rage, either way.
  • smketchum
    smketchum Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian and I don't think I ever could be because I enjoy meat too much and sometimes crave it. I try to listen to my body and what it needs. I think you can be very healthy and be a meat eater. Likewise, I'm sure you can be a very health vegetarian.

What I don't agree with is approaching a complete stranger who did not ask for your opinion and shoving your opinion down their throat. Was her approach supposed to make you see the light and determine right then and there to put down your sandwich and never eat another piece of meat again? Not a good way to make a conversion....but, she did start a conversation, that's for certain! If that was her intent, then mission accomplished.

Oh, and on a side note....I heart Jimmy John's :)
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I would have told her to go talk crazy to someone who cares. What a wench.
  • nefaline
    nefaline Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A good thing to think about is cutting back on meat, if not eliminating it. We eat too much meat in our society. The costs to the environment and our health are too high. A good book to read on this topic is called: The Ominvore's Dilemma.

Every action has a consequence, as does the consumption or over consumption of meat.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I was raised a vegetarian, and now only eat seafood. My boyfriend is more bothered by me not eating meat than I am with him eating it :smile:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    We eat too much meat in our society.

Says who? That's a very sweeping statement...
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    I'm a carnivore to the 4th power and your sandwich sounded delish...
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I tried veganism for just over six weeks and I loved it.

It could not be sustained without taking regular supplements to get certain nutrients so I discontinued it.

If it could have been maintained completely naturally, I might have stuck with it.

One other thought for the OP, there are some serious professional athletes who are vegan and would resent your "twig" remark and, yes, they are bigger and stronger than you...not that this is a contest or anything.

But, yes, that lady that interrupted your lunch was a nut case and needed to have restrained herself. I don't know how she makes it through her day with that mentality.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I was raised a vegetarian, and now only eat seafood. My boyfriend is more bothered by me not eating meat than I am with him eating it :smile:
    I know what you mean. Some people get offended when others make different choices then they do. I'm not sure why. I guess it's human nature.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    I'm vegetarian myself though I would never go up to someone and say that because it is none of my business on what another eats. I'm glad you made that women shut!
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I don't care how people get their nutrients, just as long as they do. The simple fact remains, humans wouldn't have the digestive enzymes for metabolizing animal meat if we weren't meant to eat them. Lest we forget our CANINE teeth? We are omnivores--plain and simple. But, just because we are meant to eat meat doesn't mean we have to. No reason to rage, either way.
    We also have a lizard brain as is demonstrated regularly in these forums.

Actually, our teeth are made for grinding, not ripping like true carnivores. That's why they are mostly flat. Compare your teeth to your dog's and you will understand.
  • marmitegirly2
    marmitegirly2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

A voice of reason! I'm veggie (20 years now) because I saw a documentary about how animals were really killed for meat and at the time I believe there was not the same consideration for animal welfare or RSPCA freedom food etc. That said, my hubby and children are meat lovers and I happily cook it for them - it's their choice.

I agree, we are designed to eat meat so I don't have a problem with those that do, it's just not for me. If anything I would change as it's embarrassing being the odd one out or the one with the special diet at weddings etc, but to be honest, I've been this way for all of my adult life and I think I would freak if I ate meat again!

I would also reiterate that the woman in the OP was rude and that I get some grief off of people saying I should just shove a burger down my throat and be done with it - I would not dream of imposing my views and choices on them. I guess, like everything, it comes down to respect and tolerance, sadly missing in a lot of people today.

Enjoy your dinners everyone, whatever they may be!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I"m a vegetarian. The reasons are complex:

(1) resources: how much land is used to grow food to feed cows so we can eat cows? As someone who studied wildlife management, I can say that a landbase has a limit for how much life it can support. If this is true for landbases, it's true globally. I personally feel that if I don't need to eat meat and I can survive just fine on 1/4 of the resources I would use if I were a meat eater, then it's my moral and ethical duty to do so.

(2) spirituality: I love animals. I believe animals feel pain and are sentient beings, just as I am. While I do not believe that it is ethically wrong to eat meat, I think as a human with a conscience and a choice, it is my moral and ethical duty to not participate in causing more pain than is neceesary for animals as well as people. (Note: a lot of people say "but you are killing the carrot!" Yes. I kill carrots. Carrots do not have pain receptor neurons, nor a brain to interpret that pain, nor the consciousness with which to experience that pain.)

(3) Health. I do believe it is healthier to eat a vegetarian diet for two main reasons: First, bioaccumulation of environmental toxins is a fact. Eating organic meat does not eliminate this problem (enviornmental toxins travel, though I still opt to purchase organic products so as to not economically support the spread of envrionmental toxins). Second, my twin brother died of a heart attack at the age of 24 with veins that were plugged with cholesterol. Cholesterol is strictly an animal product (being animals, we also create our own cholesterol, but we also consume it). There are also parasites and diseases (like mad cow disease which is a protein that cannot be cooked out of your food) which are more risky in meat eating. And it's higher in fat than vegetarian diets.

Now that I'm into heavy lifting, I see how animal products are better in terms of having enough protein in ones diet, but it can be done on a vegetarian or vegan diet as well.

I also agree that the woman was rude. I've seen that behavior a million times, and I'll tell you what she is:

A NEWBY

Only newly vegan/vegetarian people act like that. It becomes the entirity of their identity for a good while. Eventually they get over it.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Lest we forget our CANINE teeth?

All mammals have canines, even cows and horses.
  • thiscanbedone
    thiscanbedone Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for about 12 years and have now been a mostly-vegetarian omnivore for about as long. In my time as a vegetarian I met many, many more preachy meat-eaters than I did preachy vegetarians. As a vegetarian I constantly heard comments like "you eat tofu, gross" and "being a vegetarian is so stupid, we were meant to eat animals," "why would you want to do that to yourself" etc. Since beginning to eat meat again, I have eaten meat in front of any number of vegetarians and vegans and heard not a word of criticism.

Of course, there are preachy people of all sorts, and that woman you met was incredibly rude. However, since meat-eating is the norm in this country, I think you'll find that it's vegetarians and vegans who are more often accosted for their food choices.

Edited to add: I love that you call vegetarianism "madness" in a post where you are claiming harassment from a vegetarian for your personal eating choices.
    This!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options

If you work with animals its the other way around. Vegans and vegetarians are very much in your face when you're in an animal field and they also try to legislate their way of life.

whoa now! hold the horse! (haha no pun intended!)

Couldn't I just as easily say the meat industry legislates my life? I don't support the meat industry, and yet my taxes go to subsidize it. Not something I want to do, but it is happening regardless of how I feel about it.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I always find those situations funny. Everyone traces lines in their morals, I mean everyone.

Everyone on the thread that followed the "I don't want to eat my pets" type of thinking could push the reasoning further and worry about the ethics of keeping them captive to begin with, most of the time sterilizing them, etc. Sure they are treated well, but those animals are put completely out of their natural habitat, purely for our entertainment. Surely, freedom counts for something? Yet we take that away from pets without second thoughts.

That would be just an example, but a PETA freak could have yelled at that vegetarian in that restaurant, and probably that vegetarian girl would have just thought "who cares about that anyway?", without even realizing the irony of the situation.

Yup, people have elastic morals and try to clumsily impose them on other people.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    I always find those situations funny. Everyone traces lines in their morals, I mean everyone.

Everyone on the thread that followed the "I don't want to eat my pets" type of thinking could push the reasoning further and worry about the ethics of keeping them captive to begin with, most of the time sterilizing them, etc. Sure they are treated well, but those animals are put completely out of their natural habitat, purely for our entertainment. Surely, freedom counts for something? Yet we take that away from pets without second thoughts.

That would be just an example, but a PETA freak could have yelled at that vegetarian in that restaurant, and probably that vegetarian girl would have just thought "who cares about that anyway?", without even realizing the irony of the situation.

Yup, people have elastic morals and try to clumsily impose them on other people.

I hate PETA with a passion.

Also, "enslavement" of pets? Really? Do parents also "enslave" their children? Pets (dogs, cats) are domesticated animals. And their cuteness and domestication is their best survival skill. Those animals would die without us as slaves to their cuteness and cuddles.

Fish and birds, maybe they are captives. But my dog runs the house!
  • thiscanbedone
    thiscanbedone Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Loved it!... Thanks.
    I"m a vegetarian. The reasons are complex:

(1) resources: how much land is used to grow food to feed cows so we can eat cows? As someone who studied wildlife management, I can say that a landbase has a limit for how much life it can support. If this is true for landbases, it's true globally. I personally feel that if I don't need to eat meat and I can survive just fine on 1/4 of the resources I would use if I were a meat eater, then it's my moral and ethical duty to do so.

(2) spirituality: I love animals. I believe animals feel pain and are sentient beings, just as I am. While I do not believe that it is ethically wrong to eat meat, I think as a human with a conscience and a choice, it is my moral and ethical duty to not participate in causing more pain than is neceesary for animals as well as people. (Note: a lot of people say "but you are killing the carrot!" Yes. I kill carrots. Carrots do not have pain receptor neurons, nor a brain to interpret that pain, nor the consciousness with which to experience that pain.)

(3) Health. I do believe it is healthier to eat a vegetarian diet for two main reasons: First, bioaccumulation of environmental toxins is a fact. Eating organic meat does not eliminate this problem (enviornmental toxins travel, though I still opt to purchase organic products so as to not economically support the spread of envrionmental toxins). Second, my twin brother died of a heart attack at the age of 24 with veins that were plugged with cholesterol. Cholesterol is strictly an animal product (being animals, we also create our own cholesterol, but we also consume it). There are also parasites and diseases (like mad cow disease which is a protein that cannot be cooked out of your food) which are more risky in meat eating. And it's higher in fat than vegetarian diets.

Now that I'm into heavy lifting, I see how animal products are better in terms of having enough protein in ones diet, but it can be done on a vegetarian or vegan diet as well.

I also agree that the woman was rude. I've seen that behavior a million times, and I'll tell you what she is:

A NEWBY

Only newly vegan/vegetarian people act like that. It becomes the entirity of their identity for a good while. Eventually they get over it.