Do you donate blood?

Options

Replies

• allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I would love to donate blood but my veins are too deep and narrow. It is hard enough for them to get blood out of me when they need it for testing to the point where I have serious anxiety about it. Go figure, I have tattoo's and piercings, but getting blood drawn freaks me out!
  • Mad4bullies
    Mad4bullies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have donated whole blood for 15 years, I recently started donating double red blood cells - where they pull blood out, take the red blood cells and return my blood plus plasma. The one thing I noticed is that it takes me about a week to fully recover. I have a difficult time catching my breath during my workouts and I tire easily for a few days after the DRBC donation. I do love the apple juice! And there is the friendliest staff at the branch where I donate. :)
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I would love to, but I lived in Europe as a child (what was then West Germany) so I'm barred from donating. (Something about mad cow disease in the 80s). I think I'm barred form donating bone marrow, too :(
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yep I have given blood for 15 years nearly - soon ready to move onto my next award.

I had to stop for both pregnancies and the 9 months after plus a year when I had a tattoo, so about 5 years off!!

I don't dislike anything to be honest, I watch them put the needle in and watch my blood fill the bag!!! lol
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Yes, two to three times per year, and I also just learned from my friend BerryH that it can burn 600 to 650 calories for your body to replace the removed blood - bonus!
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    do you get paid to give blood in USA?
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have always donated my blood on a regular basis. I have some kind of antigen or something in my blood that they tell me that they use for preemie babies. I have also done ALYX donations as well. However, I went on a cruise last year and stoped over in Cozumel for a few hours, and now I can't donate. They said come back in a year.

I asked them if there were not some sick Mexicans around here that were running a pint or so low that could use my blood, but they didn't think that was funny.

Oh well....more for me I guess....
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    They call me to donate all the time (and my parents, too). My mom is O (more universal), and my dad and I are A -ve (more rare). I really don't mind giving.

The only other thing I don't like is that I'm below the weight limit for donating blood products (the procedure where they take more, and it takes longer). But I guess I'll trade that for being healthier / fitter anytime.

SOME ADVICE FOR THE LADIES (from a friend who worked for years at a blood bank): If you're a woman and still menstruating, try not to give as often as they say you can -- it can take a toll on your body. I try to stick with 3x a year or so (less if I feel wiped afterward).
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i dont donate to scared of needles :(

You can't be that afraid if you have a tattoo...
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I wish I could. I have a ton of 'blood related' problems including severe anemia. I would love to give back to people in need especially since my grandfather had leukemia and needed so much blood before he passed. I truly look up to everyone that does!! Thank you!!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options

Nope. Not that I know of.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I do donate, We have a driv eat work next week so I will probably donate then.

I hate watching the needle go in, Actually I hate blood so i stare at the ceiling.

I love that I am such an easy person to srick so I almost always get tho choose what arm they use.
  • betsymill
    betsymill Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm O-Neg and have been donating since I was 17. The past few years I've been donating double red-cells. It takes a little longer because it goes through two cycles and you're on a machine (kinda of like pheresis) and you can only donate every 112 days instead of 56 like whole blood.

I have a box full of t-shirts from when I used to give in FL. Now in PA the Central Blood Bank gives donor points and you can get gift cards depending on your points. It's an added bonus to why I give.

It doesn't bother me at all (though I still can't watch them put the needle in my arm haha). Because I can only receive O-Neg, I hope that if I ever need it, there will be a supply from others who donate as well.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    i dont donate to scared of needles :(

You can't be that afraid if you have a tattoo...

Oh yes...... I have tattoos, but until I had a pregnancy that required lots of blood draws, I was terrified of hypodermic needles. It is COMPLETELY different in looks and feel.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have never been able to. The first reason was because I lived in Europe in the 90s on military bases (mad cow disease scare). Then in high school, I kept getting piercings, so I was never allowed. A couple other piercings in college and I couldn't, Then I just got freaked out by it for some reason. Now I got a tattoo recently so I can't. I would like to... some day.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    unfortunately (according to the nurse), I need mine too much as I have anemia .... maybe I need to go back and re check (as its been a few years) I dont think I have anemia any more :) (result of a better diet possibly) :D
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Saying that you are too scared of needles to donate is bull****...

If you were in hospital, and needed blood, you wouldn't turn around and say, umm, excuse me, i don't want the blood coz I'm too scared of needles. Man up, don't look and get on with it...

The feeling you get from it is amazing!
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I donated just recently, and I can't understand why it takes so long. That's my biggest pet peeve. I know they have to screen you, but if you just gave blood three months ago, can't they have a short version of it all?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I want to, but I'm scared to donate because my blood pressure is on the low side of normal. If just sitting in direct sunlight though a car window can make me ill, I'm afraid to know what losing a pint of blood would do to me!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not that I know of.

No. Well, other than access to the snacks afterward, and sometimes a T-shirt or coupons for local businesses.