Just For Today

Options

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will be grateful for all the progress I have made thus far & less critical of myself.
    Just for today, I will remember that one bad choice does not mean I'm a bad person.

And I'm really glad I found this post today, greatly needed the change of thought
    I'm really glad you found it too! Yours made my day and really makes me think of how hard I can be on myself, which never gets me anywhere.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will remember that I cannot fail unless I quit trying.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    By the way, I really want to thank All of You for coming along and sharing your goals with me. This is the 4th Just for Today thread that I have done and I don't think that I've ever had this many people join in. I love reading your thoughts and goals. Just know that You help me, every day!

Thank YOU. I like to think positively.

Just for today, I will remember my goals take many days to complete. Each day is a part of the journey.
  • DawnM62
    DawnM62 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just for today

I will celebrate my successes and forgive my weaknesses
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will focus on Today Only and be patient with myself.
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    Just for today I am going to take time out of my busy schedule to take a breather. And to be thankful for everything that I have. A wonderful family, great friends, and lots of love and support. And just for today, I am going to think about all of the great things tomorrow is going to bring. It is FRIDAY afterall =)
  • mfchiumento
    mfchiumento Posts: 32
    Options
    Just for today I will deal with only today.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Just for today I will deal with only today.

Sounds good for me too -- today only.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I once heard a very wise person say that she was just one cookie away from being 300 lbs again (she was about 150 lbs at the time). I thought that statement was a little drastic at the time. However, I have come to realize the truth of it. I followed a very rigid eating plan to lose the weight after my 4th child. But when my baby turned one, that piece of birthday cake that I ate quickly turned into 20 lbs gained. I know now that if I don't keep control of the food, it will control me. That being said, I find the thought of eating healthy for the rest of my life to be a little (okay, a lot) daunting. That's why tomorrow has become my best friend. I tell myself that I'm going to eat healthy forever, so I will enjoy one last day of treats today. Unfortunately, today has lasted for several months.

So my new mantra is "For Today". I will not think about eating healthy tomorrow (until tonight when I plan tomorrow's food). I will decide to eat healthy "for Today". When I get through today, I will recommit tomorrow, and the next day and the next. Hopefully, when I've chosen the right enough times, I will forget to have to choose, it will just be my life.

I totally understand that way of thinking. What some people don't realize is that food can become an addiction and just like an alcoholic cannot have one drink, sometimes we can't stop or control ourselves--at least I can't (working on this.) Just like they say in AA "Take it one day at a time." Your thinking is right, all you can focus on is today. My grandfather smoked from the time he was 13. Then in his late 60's, his breathing became so labored that he finally decided to quit. He carried a pack of cigarettes around in his shirt pocket to remind himself that if he wanted one he could have it. However, each day he decided that today was not the day. Once he quit smoking, he really quit. Best of luck to you. Also, I am adopting a philosophy about "treats." If I decided to eat one, I try to make myself make it up in extra exercise that very day.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Just for today I will focus on all the good and fun things in my life.(not the stress that makes me want to stuff my face)
  • minussam
    minussam Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    just for today I will give my little boy and my hubby an extra hug - just because
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of NA.
  • Amabuela
    Amabuela Posts: 24
    Options
    I really like this approach. If it works for alcoholics and drug addicts, it should work for us food addicts. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • MargotAllen
    MargotAllen Posts: 63
    Options
    Depressing. Makes me want to just kill myself. :D
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    you do eventually get to a point where you can have one treat and then move on and be good and loose. Trust me i thought it would never be possible as a bad binge eater, but overtime you realize this is a lifestyle change and you have to live life a little too. I have one treat meal a week now, rather that a full treat day or weekend. Today I've exercised and i will be treating myself to a little chocolate and crisps, it wont derail me and make me want more like it used to... you will get there! x
  • kimdoes
    kimdoes Posts: 90
    Options
    I once heard a very wise person say that she was just one cookie away from being 300 lbs again (she was about 150 lbs at the time). I thought that statement was a little drastic at the time. However, I have come to realize the truth of it. I followed a very rigid eating plan to lose the weight after my 4th child. But when my baby turned one, that piece of birthday cake that I ate quickly turned into 20 lbs gained. I know now that if I don't keep control of the food, it will control me. That being said, I find the thought of eating healthy for the rest of my life to be a little (okay, a lot) daunting. That's why tomorrow has become my best friend. I tell myself that I'm going to eat healthy forever, so I will enjoy one last day of treats today. Unfortunately, today has lasted for several months.

So my new mantra is "For Today". I will not think about eating healthy tomorrow (until tonight when I plan tomorrow's food). I will decide to eat healthy "for Today". When I get through today, I will recommit tomorrow, and the next day and the next. Hopefully, when I've chosen the right enough times, I will forget to have to choose, it will just be my life.

You have the right concept... just wrong method of application.

Today I will eat healthy. And if I do good, tomorrow I can reward myself with a snack. Then when tomorrow is today- Today I will eat healthy and if I do good, I will reward myself tomorrow... You can do it!!!
  • abbie72003
    abbie72003 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! I love this thread :)

Just for Today: I will focus on myself and let go of everything else.
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    What an awesome idea! Going to start doing this on my statuses!
  • moskinnny
    moskinnny Posts: 118
    Options
    Just for today: When I am craving a "not so healthy food" I wil make a conscience choice to substitute it for something healthy (even if I have to duck tape my mouth shut)
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    We all have to figure out what works for us.. Some its even by meal...
    I think this is a good way to look at it. Most of us can get through one day..