Heartbroke and defeated...

Options

Replies

• Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    ok 1 - dont think it is beacause you are too big your doctor thinks you need the lap band or any other WLS. 2- do not believe anyone who says having the lap band or any other form of weight loss surgery is the easy way out, Since when is surgery easy??? REALLY? 3. Weight loss surgery is a TOOL to help you lose weight. Some need the tool more than others.

I had vertical sleeve gastrectomy in Aug 2011, and I work my butt off every day, I have changed my relationship with food, I have done NUMEROUS consults with shrinks and other docs before I could even proceed with the surgery. Easy my butt!

It is nothing to be heartbroken over, the doc was trying to give you OPTIONS to HELP you. I am not saying run out and have surgery but look within yourself, your relationships with food, etc because sometimes weight loss is not just what you eat, but how you eat, etc.

Hang in there and if you wish to talk or vent I am here for ya.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Time to find a new doctor. Your current one is an idiot.

Your doctor is a moron.

That being said, it may be time if you are having minimal success with your current method to look at other options. It doesn't sound like you suffer from a lack of motivation, but perhaps there are other things to consider that your doctor is too dumb to suggest.

Have you looked into tests for the following?:

Insulin resistance
    Hypothyroidism
    Gluten intolerance

Have you considered trying to alter your diet significantly? Low carb is always an option if you are not seeing results with the typical calories in vs. calories out or low fat approach. At this point, what do you have to loose other than weight? A few resources that may help:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879/fat-head
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/success-story-summaries/#axzz1uVG05kT5
    http://www.amazon.com/Atkins-Diet-Revolution-Revised-Edition/dp/1590770021/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336684037&sr=8-1

Low carbing changed my life years ago when I had over 100lbs to lose.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    sorry but your doctor is talking out his bum, i started at 262, 17 months later im down 79 pounds, yes its going to take a while but it is definitely not impossible, get a second opinion but most importantly dont give up x
  • lynzy713
    lynzy713 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Agreed, find a new doctor! "It's a marathon, not a race" is what I hear people say many times in regards to weight loss. It look time to put it in, it'll take time to get it off in a healthy way. Don't give up, you can do it!!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

I agree! There are quite a few members on here who have lost 100+ pounds and it is definitely possible! Don't get discourage; you CAN do this! :flowerforyou:
  • shesapear
    shesapear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up. Surgery is not always the answer. Search the message boards plenty of people have lost 70+ pounds on their own with consistent logging, exercise and DEDICATION.

Don't give up! This is for you and you only and you deserve this!!
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    ... eat pretty good ...

What does that mean, exactly?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/15-success-stories

Look here and see that lots of people have lost much more than 60, 100, or even 200lbs. Without surgery.

You can do it too. Get a second opinion. :)
  • darconnor
    darconnor Posts: 49
    Options
    So, so true. Keep up the good work. Run as fast as you can from that quack. Is he or she running a bariatric clinic ... then consider it an over sales pitch! Perhaps he has connections with a bariatric team. Either way...he doesn't have your best interest at heart; bariatric surgery, including lap bands are for people who are not - for whatever reason at the time...and some are valid - expending the energy you are on eating less and moving more!

Jut a tip about your exercise routine - You may need to give yourself a rest day in between your workouts. Your body needs time to rebuild/regenerate..
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    While I know several people "in real life" who have had lapband or bypass surgery and successfully lost and kept off large amounts of weight for over a year, it is not the only answer! They still have to exercise and eat VERY carefully for the rest of their lives. It's not a cureall, and it will change how your body handles certain foods FOREVER. Plus, it's not covered by insurance, as far as I know. Two of the three the people I'm thinking of were closer to 200 pounds overweight, not 100, and had health issues. If you've only got 70-100 pounds to lose, I don't think your doctor should probably not be recommending a drastic surgery.

Don't give up. You already lost 6 pounds--it's a start! I know plenty of people on MFP who have lost well over 100 pounds without surgery. There are a few community groups for people who need to lose 100 pounds or more, maybe try finding some of those groups and get the support of the folks that have had success in those groups.

Don't give up!
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    YOUR DOCTOR WANTS YOUR MONEY. If he said you're too big then he's ignorant and got his PhD in a cracker jack box!

I used to be 250 lbs (that was my highest measured weight) I know I was a size 22 and lost most of it through WALKING. You can do it on here with the support we can offer and YOU WILL SEE RESULTS!

And please please please use a tape measure! When the scale is a bee-yotch, the tape measure will be your friend. :flowerforyou:
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I bet your doctor even knew who to recommend, right?!?! Can we say, "KICKBACKS"?? Yes. I bet she is in cahoots with a bariatric surgeon. I smell cahooting.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

THIS!!! Anyone can lose weight on their own. My husband lost 212 pounds! I've lost 80 with 55 more to go. You CAN DO IT!
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a such thing as too big to drop weight. I started at 279 pounds, I am only 5' 1. That was a lot of weight for me to carry around being so short. I never, EVER thought I would be able to lose weight, I had tried so many times. I tried phentramine (sp) and I tried just counting calories before as well.

It wasn't until I stopped trying to diet, and started acting and feeling like a healthy person that I got results. You say you are working out 7 days a week, I would suggest cutting back a few days, also make sure you are eating enough. When I started I only walked about a mile 3x a week, played wii fitness games and did about 5 minutes on a stairstepper. I worked my way up to doing more but in the beginning I focused more on what I ate. Good luck and don't give up hope. Just be willing to do it.

I totally agree with this. You can do this. Your body needs a bit of rest time and you need to make sure you aren't UNDER eating. I know that sounds odd, but a lot of people on here had to add a few calories to start losing again.
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I was 286 lbs at my highest weight and considered getting LapBand. I even went for the first consultation. I left that appointment and had an emotional breakdown as soon as I got to my car. It just wasn't for me. From the way you talk, it's not for you either. Don't let a doctor pressure you into something you don't want to do.
  • sdow
    sdow Posts: 71
    Options
    Change your doctor or maybe try a nutritionist. Be gentle with yourself. Love yourself. If you don't want the surgery, just keep plugging along with your healthy diet, your exercise, and drinking water. It takes lots of time to lose weight the healthy way. Take care and rely on kind people who have fought the same battle you are fighting. I am with you in spirit.
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN do this. YOU CAN. A doctor who tells you that you can't is an AWFUL doctor. If there are no health obstacles then keep at it and you will get there. When you're fighting for your life, you gotta have friends. I feel like thats why we're all here. Fight, Fight, Fight!!! We are all in this together!!
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

This.

x3
  • superstankazz
    superstankazz Posts: 193
    Options
    I need to lose 100 pounds too. It has taken me since February to lose 15 pounds! It's hard and it sucks sometimes! I would LOVE for my doctor to recommend lap banding! It would make all your hard work pay off. You would still have to exercise and eat right with a lapband,but your efforts will finally be rewarded! Call me crazy, but if I could afford it, I would have it done in a minute! Good luck to you, add me if you want to, I understand what you're going through.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you need a new doctor.

i lost a hundred in like 3 years.

my old roommate had 200 lbs LEFT to lose.