Zombie Apocolypse - What do you grab?

Options

Replies

• str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Crossbow people the zombies hear the shots they will ALL start running to you DUH!!!

^This. Have you people learned nothing from "The Walking Dead"!?!

Crossbows are too slow to fire. Only works if you're in a rural area and not urban where you can be surrounded or chased, and they take a lot of upper body strength to load. Plus, you'd be hard pressed to find crossbow arrows at any local pit-stops you make going through towns if you happen to break or lose them.

If you're going that route, your better off with a combination bow and traditional arrows. Easier replacement parts to come by, lighter, and easier to fire.

If your choice of weapons is in the archery field, I would steer clear of the crossbow also. Heavy, slow to load, not accurate a longer yardage. I would stick to the traditional stick and string as arrows can always be made or a compound would definately be a lot quieter and faster.

Yup. Compound bow would be ideal, but a recurve or long bow would work nicely too. They are easier to repair that combi's also.

We could form a hunger games alliance between the 2 of us!

Compounds would give a lot more distance over the tradtional but then again...you could run out of arrows.

LOL Katniss has nothing on me. I've not shot a bow in a long time, but I grew up hunting with combination bows and long-range rifles. :smile:

For zombies though, if they're far away, you're better off avoiding being detected than trying to take them out at range. I wouldn't think you'd need much range, just enough to kill your food and protect yourself should get surprised. Recurves are easier and faster to load than combi's also.

Yeah I am right there with you. I do this for a living...and I love it. I would much rather have a bow in my hands than pretty much anything. I would love to fling a few arrows at about 50 yrds at them with my compound though. So much more dramatic. LOL

Problem with archery equipment:
    cumbersome - will always restrict one of your hands
    limited ammo, and must recover ammo and pray your arrows weren't bent or destroyed
    bulky, hard to negotiate through small openings in a hurry (bushes, windows, etc)
    worthless if you end up on the ground
    worthless in close-quarters
    worthless if one arm/ hand is injured
    requires lots of practice... must be extremely proficient to hit a moving object the size of a cantaloup at any distance.
    not good for rapid firing
    difficult to use under duress
    sized to fit the shooter, which means others in your group may not be able to use it if you're incapacitated
    must always have a clear lane of shooting
    extremely difficult to use at night or from a vehicle
    not easy to run with one

As you can tell, I've considered this already. :smile:

Yes I am well aware of the draw backs of archery. But as you stated not all or everyone can shoot one. And seeing how the rest of the world will be looking for guns and ammo and I am very capable of shooting a bow...Ill take my chances. Its not like I am going to run around in the open trying to shoot on the run. Discretion would be key.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Crossbow people the zombies hear the shots they will ALL start running to you DUH!!!

^This. Have you people learned nothing from "The Walking Dead"!?!

Crossbows are too slow to fire. Only works if you're in a rural area and not urban where you can be surrounded or chased, and they take a lot of upper body strength to load. Plus, you'd be hard pressed to find crossbow arrows at any local pit-stops you make going through towns if you happen to break or lose them.

If you're going that route, your better off with a combination bow and traditional arrows. Easier replacement parts to come by, lighter, and easier to fire.

If your choice of weapons is in the archery field, I would steer clear of the crossbow also. Heavy, slow to load, not accurate a longer yardage. I would stick to the traditional stick and string as arrows can always be made or a compound would definately be a lot quieter and faster.

Yup. Compound bow would be ideal, but a recurve or long bow would work nicely too. They are easier to repair that combi's also.

We could form a hunger games alliance between the 2 of us!

Compounds would give a lot more distance over the tradtional but then again...you could run out of arrows.

LOL Katniss has nothing on me. I've not shot a bow in a long time, but I grew up hunting with combination bows and long-range rifles. :smile:

For zombies though, if they're far away, you're better off avoiding being detected than trying to take them out at range. I wouldn't think you'd need much range, just enough to kill your food and protect yourself should get surprised. Recurves are easier and faster to load than combi's also.

Yeah I am right there with you. I do this for a living...and I love it. I would much rather have a bow in my hands than pretty much anything. I would love to fling a few arrows at about 50 yrds at them with my compound though. So much more dramatic. LOL

Problem with archery equipment:
    cumbersome - will always restrict one of your hands
    limited ammo, and must recover ammo and pray your arrows weren't bent or destroyed
    bulky, hard to negotiate through small openings in a hurry (bushes, windows, etc)
    worthless if you end up on the ground
    worthless in close-quarters
    worthless if one arm/ hand is injured
    requires lots of practice... must be extremely proficient to hit a moving object the size of a cantaloup at any distance.
    not good for rapid firing
    difficult to use under duress
    sized to fit the shooter, which means others in your group may not be able to use it if you're incapacitated
    must always have a clear lane of shooting
    extremely difficult to use at night or from a vehicle
    not easy to run with one

As you can tell, I've considered this already. :smile:

Exactly. This is why I'll be taking my Glock :) Just pointing out that the crossbow is the worst bow to zombie-hunt with out of the bunch is all. :smile:
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Damn. All these crazies with guns are just going to attract more zombies! I'm grabbing a crossbow/reg bow combo and some protein bars. Then hopefully I can be all Skyrim like and get my arrows back once the zombies around me are dead. ^_^

Also probably some daggers and a light sword. I'll leave the heavy guns to my other zombie killing friends.

I wish...I could have powers in like Skyrim. That should be the question. If zombies overran Skyrim, which spells/weapons would you equip.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    awful lot of shotguns running around. you folks do realize that shotguns are heavy and ammo is bulky, so you get less of it. while I hate to recommend such a small round, you really need to think 9mm. less stopping power, but assuming you are a good shot -- and you will have to be anyway, right? -- you will be fine and can bring along a lot more ammo with a lot less strain.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Lifeboat rations. They have the longest shelf life and are the lightest and most compact to carry. That's what my bug out bag is stocked with.
  • betsy329
    betsy329 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    OMG! I always joke this is why I started working out!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Daryl Dixon.

Yeah, I said it.

I was thinking it! :tongue:

Too bad for you I already have him hidden away in an undisclosed sex dungeon, I mean, location.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    (worth adding that second thing I'd grab was any and all fishing I could easily stow away. assuming the horde will be based in the major cities and other populous areas, I'm making a drive to the mountains. wouldn't have far to go and know plenty of options. I can grizzly adams my way for quite some time.)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Daryl Dixon.

Yeah, I said it.

I was thinking it! :tongue:

Too bad for you I already have him hidden away in an undisclosed sex dungeon, I mean, location.

:laugh:
  • lushunn32
    lushunn32 Posts: 107
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing lol
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    my next door neighbor - I hate that prick, I would kill him and go cannibal
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My 12-guage shotgun..
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    Trail mix/dried fruit.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Dang... first instinct was to grab the double-bladed battle axe hiding behind my bedroom door. But since it's food we're talkin about... gonna have to go with some Jack Link's beef jerky!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    My AR-15 and 5 30 rnd magazines along with two sidearms!

I'm going with you, I will bring enough lunch for both of us...
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    awful lot of shotguns running around. you folks do realize that shotguns are heavy and ammo is bulky, so you get less of it. while I hate to recommend such a small round, you really need to think 9mm. less stopping power, but assuming you are a good shot -- and you will have to be anyway, right? -- you will be fine and can bring along a lot more ammo with a lot less strain.

Can't remember what the show was, but it was on the History Channel... ultimate Zombie Weapon... a machete. It's the ultimate utilitarian tool and it's light and doesnt need to be reloaded. If you wanna go all badass, go dual-wielding on their *kitten*! I'll consider it to be a great cardio workout! lol
  • macnotes
    macnotes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'll consider it to be a great cardio workout! lol

I wonder how many calories MFP has for Zombie Apocalypse survival.
  • HeealthyMee
    HeealthyMee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My frying pan. Fried zombie tastes great and is low fat.
  • coniconstance
    coniconstance Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Brad Pitt
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My go bag ... its got enough food to keep me going to my hidey hole ;) .