Sports Bra at the gym - appropriate or not?

Options

Replies

• sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I see myself as being someone who would be uncomfortable with that kind of thing... until I saw my 50 year old boss do it at a charity 5km run 2 years ago. She gave a fake apology, and I was like, hot damn woman! Go for it!
  • Crumleygirl
    Crumleygirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Check your gym's policy. They may have some sort of dress code. I expected women to dress like that and have never seen anyone at my gym in just a sports bra. If you've got the body to walk around like that go for it. I would probably agree with the other girl and lose the shirt mid workout. I totally agree with you and have to wear shorts and a tank top. I still have a tummy and can't run around in less.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I have no issue with it. :glasses:
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I wear a light t-shirt over my sports bra. When I see women in just the bra, I think they're trying to attract attention.

I agree.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    At home, yes. At a gym, I wouldn't. I'm just not used to showing that much, I very briefly owned a bikini and felt very self conscious the two or three times I wore it. Tank top over it.
  • QueenCatlady09
    QueenCatlady09 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally fine! People who are uptight about it need to chill down. Before my weight gain I used to go to the gym in a sports bra, run in the park in a sports bra, mow the grass in a sports bra and things like that. It's comfy and cool! 20 pounds of weight loss and I will be back to prancing around in my VS sports bra, for now I'm sticking to the t-shirts
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have a problem with someone doing it (though I'd never do it myself), but every gym I've ever used has had a policy that required women to wear a top over their sports bra (and men can't go topless either).
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    I am curious about what people think of women who work out in a sports bra and workout pants/shorts. Is it considered appropriate or too much skin?? My gym does not have good air conditioning and I die of heat less clothes the better, but first I want some opinions. Thanks
    if you are talking about that thing on your profile picture, as far as I'm concerned, that's a top, not a bra lol. And I like it, btw. As you can see from my profile picture and other pics in my profile, I used to wear similar length tops all the time in summer (but that's Europe; US is obviously much more sensitive when it comes to seeing human skin lol).
    If you're exercising in something that looks like a bikini, well, that's another story lol.
  • xzotikmama
    xzotikmama Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with it, and my gym allows them. If you got it then great. As for me I'm not there yet and I would totally wear one.

I can see if a Chick is out there flaunting her goods and not even working out. Then seriously....go home!

Same for shorts....

At my gym there are these really young (14) girls that workout and they wear the tiniest shorts. I do not think thats appropiate. (no offense guys) Guys will be guys...Girls might be there to workout but in some sense they are sending the wrong message.

In the end, if you got... it wear...as for those who don't workout hard and get there....<---my goal!!!

:drinker:
  • glitterpiss
    glitterpiss Posts: 113
    Options
    I don't care what anyone else wears at the gym, even if they are hella obese. I wear stretch capri pants and a baggy shirt, because I don't want my exposed body touching equipment that has touched loads of other bodies, and I get cold easily because of the fans and AC, which always seem to be on high, even when I'm sweating my *kitten* off.

I think its a bit funny when people say they don't mind women in sports bras as long as they are fit. Its not like I'm there to check out sexy bodies, and my eyes will burn and I won't be able to ever eat again or exercise anymore if I see someones fat jiggly stomach. If seeing a fat person jiggle while exercise offends you, maybe its time to start exercising at home.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If it looks ok. Sure. Why not, its less skin than a swimsuit. Not me though until I can keep the girls from trying to peek out under the sports bra by the end of a workout.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I used to during the summer when I had a gym membership. The stupid air there was awful, and it gets up to 100 here.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I am fit but I don't see myself wearing just a bra at my gym. I do and will for running when it's super hot. I personally don't care what others wear; I'm too involved in my workout to care or notice.
  • Jenniriggins
    Jenniriggins Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't because I do NOT have a toned tummy yet. However, I get really hot too so I buy guys ribbed tanks. You know the ones in a package of 3 in the underwear section of Target or Walmart??? They are very see through so you get a nice breeze but the jelly is covered! Cheap fix!
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Not allowed at base gyms...

Sorry for a stupid question. Do you mean on military base? I am going to a gym on base. I had no idea. Good to know.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You could go topless for all I'd care. But sports bra seems fine to me. I wear a tank top over mine just because I'm a bit self conscious of my loose belly skin. Otherwise, I'd be way more comfortable in just the sports bra.

I wear just the sports bra alone with workout pants when I run/jog outside.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have a problem with someone doing it (though I'd never do it myself), but every gym I've ever used has had a policy that required women to wear a top over their sports bra (and men can't go topless either).

I like that they applied the rules to both genders.
  • BartsGurl
    BartsGurl Posts: 19
    Options
    "Girl if you're toned or buff, sport it.

If not cover that *kitten* up. Seriously, I have not and will not ever get to sport just the sports bra look. I give other people the courtesy of covering up. I ask that they do the same. Love yourself at home in your house for your eyes only. "

LOL! That is so funny. And I have to agree. Nobody would want to see me in just my sports bra, so I vow to never assault their eyes. But for the girls who can pull it off (and you know who you are...if you don't know, then you're not!), I am fine with it. It is a GYM after all.
  • ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options
    It's actually against the rules at my gym to not have a shirt on. Guy or girl, they'll kick you out. As is talking on your cell phone. You'll get kicked out for that too. It's about everyone being comfortable and safe there, since it is a community center. If you are sweating too much, wear clothing that is more loose. Cut off the sleeves and make larger arm holes in old tee shirts, cut the neck wider too if necessary.

Really?! The gyms around here must be super relaxed because they have none of those rules, the only rules I notice are have a towel with you and put weights away.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Mad props to everyone on here comfortable and confident enough to wear just a sports bra in public/the gym.
    Hopefully someday I get to that point.