What is the craziest thing you believed to be true as a kid?

Options

Replies

• Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    In 4th grade my friend and I saved up our allowances to buy a Magic Genie that would appear when we held this card in our hands...it was from an ad in the back of the Enquirer. We spend DAYS dreaming of what we'd wish for! When we finally got it, it was exactly what it said, a genie that was on a mood ring type card and the heat of your hand would make a genie image appear.

We were CRUSHED!!!
    (edited for spelling)
  • Squeeee
    Squeeee Posts: 71
    Options
    - Thanks to my parents, I believed that picking your nose would make you go bald.

- "Toiletries" were trees...that grow in the toilet.

- Pistachio ice cream was called "Boogerberry Cruch"

- I believed that Santa liked cheese and crackers with Coke. Not milk and cookies.

- I thought people became pregnant from kissing.

- I used to mix up the words "makeup" and "make-out"

- That the phrase "...on something like white on rice" was actually "...on something like SPIT on rice."

...and a million others I can't quite think of at the moment. I don't know how I survived to adulthood. :indifferent:
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    A guy I dated once told me, as a kid his mom told him that drinking alcohol would make him turn into a black person... seriously he believed it for years.
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    That if I closed my eyes, I was invisible.

Also, that the road moved and pulled the cars down the road. Haha
  • AshleeOllmann
    Options
    this is kinda gross, but when my sister and i were toddlers, she used to pick her nose and my mom would always tell her there was a snail that lived in everyones nostrils, and it liked to bite any "searching fingers".......we were a messed up family.

Oh my goodness. My mum told me the fragles from fragle rock lived in my nose and built the boogies and if I picked my nose I was killing them.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    All sorts of bad things lived in the basement.

I hated going down there and if I did I would make sure on my way out to walk towards the stairs facing the room and wouldn't turn until just before booking it up the stairs as fast as my little legs could take me because I was sure that as soon as I turned my back on it - the bad things would come out of hiding to eat me.

Also - my family is from Poland and I spent a lot of summers there as a kid. The apartment my grandma lived in had these big bucket type things (for washing laundry) but someone told me that's where the monsters slept - I believed it for a long time.
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I was terrified of bugs when I was younger and would only go outside if it was windy because I figured the bugs wouldn't be able to move around then.

I thought that if I talked into the mic on my parents' cassette player the people on the radio could hear me. I thought the same about soap operas on TV, but I blame my grandmother for that one cause she talked to them too lol.

I thought that if I covered my eyes nobody could see me.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My mother and her friend told me that a female peacock was actually called a pea****.
  • AngelaWeber
    AngelaWeber Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    That if I crossed my eyes they would get "stuck" that way. Still not entirely ure this isn't true, so if I must cross them it's done really quickly lol.

My bestfriends older brother told me that my his sister sleep walked at night and if I pent the night at their house she would get me. I don't think I spent the night there until we were in high school.

That one particular neighbor was a witch. If you walked by her house and peeped through the window you had to run or else....

That my father was orange. I actually gave a description to my elementary school teacher. He's tall, has brown eyes, curly hair and is orange lol. He till looks pretty orange to me hahaha
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    SweetNaughtyLips Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I was told that if I ever get lost, look for the spotlight in the sky and follow it and someone will be there to help you. As I got older, I realized that most of those spotlights led to Strip Clubs...:laugh:

9821387.png
  • ElisaMarie82
    Options
    Jaws was real! I still can't swim in lakes, rivers, or pools that are too deep to see the bottom.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    The monsters under your bed would leave you alone if you were asleep and they knew you were asleep becasue you don''t breath when you are sleeping. SO I would hold my breath to avoid being eaten......
  • SP2Bfit
    SP2Bfit Posts: 114
    Options
    that if you swallowed gum it would stay in your stomach for 7 years
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    that when the united states had the civil war the continent actually split in half... hey, plate techtonics.... right? what do you expect of a 6th grader who's a visual learner? lol!!!
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I would one join the optimus prime, roll out with the autobots to destroy megaton and the evil decepticons
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    One that comes to mind: When I was younger my dad would take us mushroom hunting. To get me not to talk, he told me that the mushrooms would run away if I wasn't quit. I know there was a lot more, but I can't think of any.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Let's just say my dad didn't explain the "birds and the bees" clearly enough. When I originally found out the "truth" I was appalled.... It's all good now though hahaha
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Swallowing watermelon seeds grows a watermelon in your stomach (Lol)
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Swallowing watermelon seeds grows a watermelon in your stomach (Lol)

It doesn't? I can once again eat watermelon!! Lol
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Jason vorhees and bigfoot