Want better results???? Ditch the elliptical and......

Options

Replies

• MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yup, I was right, all the elliptical people came out and got offended in full force! I never said it didn't have it's uses, but people are going to twist things how they see fit. to the guy who lost 200 pounds. CONGRATS!! Something tells me though..that you also cleaned up your diet. give yourself credit, it wasn't just the elliptical machine.

"Elliptical is a great start for poeple who are unfit or elderly..."

I believe that was your quote. So unfit people and my grandmother can benefit from this, but for more advanced and fit users...well, they shouldn't waste their time. :)

I haven't decided if you're just thriving off the attention or you really believe what you're saying.

This.

I'm not an elliptical user, but I am offended by the tone of the OP. It's condescending and judgemental. It implies that anyone who uses an elliptical is unfit, elderly or just plain lazy. And also, indirectly, that you are working harder than those people because you are working on the stairmill.

You find the stairmill a tougher workout. Awesome. Keep rocking it. But keep your judgements of others' choices to yourself, please.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The OP was right about personal trainers not liking these things for people who are in good shape and have no health issues. My personal trainer refused to put me on one of these machines after doing my initial fitness assessment. After years of running uphill outside and lots of soccer playing these machines couldn't make me break a sweat. He also didn't like them because they build momentum and your legs will continue to be pushed forward after you have stopped moving (unlike a treadmill). However I'm pretty sure he used them for people who were out of shape/ had health problems. They're not bad to help you get into shape though. They have their place in the gym just like the rest of the equipment there.

Your trainer may know a lot of other things, but in this case, he/she is just pulling an idea out of his/her butt.
  • TheChosenOne_
    Options
    Elliptical is too easy :) You're right
  • tyoung4
    tyoung4 Posts: 30
    Options
    LOL I had an elliptical. Was great for hanging up wet towels after swimming ;)

Hated using it. 3 minutes and my knees HURT. Not ache, but down right HURT.

Sold the elliptical, joined a gym, and started the treadmill. I LOVE the treadmill.

What's the Step Mill and how is it used?

So I'll join you on the anti-elliptical band wagon :)
    The elliptical made my knees hurt as well. I just wanna give it away! And to make it so bad I really wanted and had to have it.
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ditch the elliptical. Ditch the gym. Get some kettlebells, a jump rope, and a bike. But if you are going to keep wasting money on monthly gym dues, then yes; the stair mill will kick your buttocks.

It is not a waste of money if you go to classes. No real substitute for that. Also a great access to a variety of equiptment if that is what you are into.
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree! The eliptical is kinda a scam I think... your body quickly learns the movements and then cheats itself by conserving energy! The step machine is hard to cheat on!
  • DeckerDoll
    DeckerDoll Posts: 201
    Options
    I like the elliptical just fine thanks.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I damaged my knees doing sports when I was younger.
    Steps = knee pain so awful I can't move after (feels like they are shattering)
    Elliptical = minor pain and good cardio

I love the elliptical. Doing it routinely has helped make my knees hurt a lot less day to day.
  • natashamcn
    natashamcn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me when the last time was that you saw a personal trainer spend an hour on an elliptical at the gym? I've been working out for years and they usually spend 20 minutes tops to get the HR up and move onto other things.
    The OP was right about personal trainers not liking these things for people who are in good shape and have no health issues. My personal trainer refused to put me on one of these machines after doing my initial fitness assessment. After years of running uphill outside and lots of soccer playing these machines couldn't make me break a sweat. He also didn't like them because they build momentum and your legs will continue to be pushed forward after you have stopped moving (unlike a treadmill). However I'm pretty sure he used them for people who were out of shape/ had health problems. They're not bad to help you get into shape though. They have their place in the gym just like the rest of the equipment there.

Your trainer may know a lot of other things, but in this case, he/she is just pulling an idea out of his/her butt.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    i almost cry when my trainer puts me on the step mill.. HAHAHAHA.. That's his, "so you broke ur diet and need ur *kitten* kicked" go to... BLAH. Nothing gets the sweat rolling like the step mill!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The elliptical made my knees hurt as well. I just wanna give it away! And to make it so bad I really wanted and had to have it.

Me too! Everyone looks at me oddly when I say that, but the elliptical really makes my knees ache. Whereas running outdoors doesn't. Weird.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    My only issue with the step mill is that I have bad knees and it's really easy to step wrong and mess up my knee for a week.

This. I can & do walk up very steep hills every day, I don't have a choice I live at the top of one. But the stairs in my house kill my knees. When my trainer had me on the stepper she stopped my after just a couple of mins and had me move to the Ark (x=trailer). Shes a hospital physio so knows her stuff.

The Ark is a whole lot tougher than the standard x-trainer, I can go forever on the normal x-trainer but the Ark kicks my butt!
  • rwisner
    rwisner Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I guess I am fat and old, then, because the elliptical works great for me. I don't wimp out. I work hard. I sweat. I burn. I lose weight. I feel good. My knees don't grind (like they do on a step or Arc machine). Thanks for your support.

Nice commercial for the other thing. Good luck with that. You're a distributor, right?

When you become a fitness trainer and have earned the right to tell everyone that you know better than us, please, please do let us know. I'm glad the stair thing works for you. That doesn't mean it's the best exercise for everybody. Even us fat, old people.

Love it! Totally agree!
  • juicy011
    juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Love the stairmill....burns twice the cals in a shorter time, but not sure if I'm using it correctly because my knees hurt for about a week after using it. I had to quit. Any tips that'll be easier on the knees?
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    While i disagree with the elliptical slander i do need to think differently (rip steve jobs) and perhaps give this a whirl. I've recently abandoned the elevator at work and i'm feeling every flight so maybe this will build my tolerance up a bit
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    35 minutes this afternoon on the dreaded elliptical. HIIT with peaks at incline of 10 and resistance 10. steps per minute between 150 and 170. result was 505 calories dead and a shirt that definitely needs to be washed. I think it worked again.
  • mumkelly
    mumkelly Posts: 1
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds on the elliptical. It does work. Any machine will work. The problem is after so long your muscles get trained to not react as well to that same motion. You have to mix it up and add variety. I spent 6 months at the same weight working out 5 days a week on the elliptical. It wasn't until someone mentioned I should try something new that I was able to get past that plateau. In order to burn fat you need to build muscle. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to lift weights, but anyone would benefit from some strength training. I was also told to stay away from any machine that you sit on or at. It does nothing to build muscle. You want your whole body involved. I recently switched to the stair climber and I can literally wring out the sweat from my shirt. That's not something I could do on the elliptical. Even at a higher resistance I never sweat like this, but the calorie burn is the same. Even if it's the same I'm sticking with the stair climber for now to enjoy the extra sweat. But I won't stick with it permanently because the new muscles I'm engaging will eventually stop responding to the repeated motion. Then it's time to mix it up again!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    The Stair Mill is my new favorite machine ... it is a serious workout. No other machine in the gym even comes close.

I never regret a good workout on the StairMill .. I am at about 808 stairs (50 stories) in 15 min .. my personal best so far. I hope to continually improve ... as it is the best workout.
  • FitVego
    FitVego Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    definitely agree!

Stairmaster/stairmill will kick you butt! But it is great if you don't have much time and want a great calorie burn! It also works your heartrate like no other cardio machine!

I run 8-10km a few times a week and I end up pretty tired, but 20 minutes on the stairmill and the sweat will be pouring off you!

Excellent for high intensity cardio and a great calorie burn!