Why the scale goes UP with a new workout program- MUST READ

Options
SPNLuver83
SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
My amazing MFP buddy Bumblepink just emailed me this article and I just had to share it. I have been so frustrated with a weight gain when I started jogging lost week, but this totally explains it from a trust fitness professional- Chalean Johnson. SPREAD THIS!

Why the Scale Goes Up When You Start a New Workout Plan

By Chalene Johnson

Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, "Help! I'm gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?" This is a common phenomenon with any new exercise program, such as Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, or others! It's especially common (and temporary) with intense strength training programs like ChaLEAN Extreme or Tony Horton's P90X.

The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight. However, what most personal trainers know--and most at-home exercisers do not--is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn't say weight gain! I'll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit.

The temporary weight gain explained:
When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens, the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen due to fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated, become discouraged and quit!

When I worked with a group of 70 test participants during the development stages of ChaLEAN Extreme, this happened. Who was the most upset and discouraged? You guessed it... the women! I'm happy to report absolutely for every single woman (and man) in our group, the weight increase was temporary and never lasted more than two weeks before they started to see a major drop in the scale. However, these people had the advantage of working with someone who was able to explain to them why this was happening and assure them the weight would come off if they stuck to the nutrition plan and stayed true to the program.

If you follow a multi-phase exercise plan, such as ChaLEAN Extreme, keep in mind that when you start each phase, your body will be "in shock" again. Don't be surprised or discouraged if you experience a temporary gain on the scale the first week of each phase.

My own personal example of this is running 10Ks. I don't do it very often, maybe once or twice a year. Even though I run on a regular basis, when you run a race, you push much harder. It's natural for me to be insanely sore the next day. It’s also very common for me to see the scale jump 4 pounds the next day from forcing fluids post race and the resulting DOMS. Even though I know the cause of it, it's still a bummer. We're all human and hard work should mean results. Hard work equals results, but our bodies are amazing machines and they know how to protect us from hurting ourselves. Soreness forces you to give those muscles a break. Ultimately you will lose the weight and you will change your metabolism in the process.

The key is understanding that this is a normal and temporary and stick with the program!

Replies

• Hollyjd1019
    Hollyjd1019 Posts: 148
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Interesting read! Thanks for sharing!
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, and it explains a lot. Thanks.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!!!! It really helps me NOT hate the scale! :flowerforyou:
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Great article! Thanks for sharing.
    I started 30 day shred a week ago and on Thursday my weight did go up by 4.6lbs - it is back off again now!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Think this happened to me this week! I got a 2.4lb gain! Very discouraging but I've kept going. If its the same tomorrow ill keep going in the hope of it turning around next week. For me its been walking 5 miles most days after being immobile from major surgery. Good to read something confirming what I do already know, as I'm still a little freaked out! Xx
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this, my hamstrings are sore right now, at least I know not to weigh myself at these times...yay for new information!
  • bfletcher89
    bfletcher89 Posts: 16
    Options
    Needed this!! Now if only my body wold stop being so protective and let the weight drop off!
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Reading this made me feel better already.:happy:
  • Watchmeshrink21
    Watchmeshrink21 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    thanks sooo much for this ! you have no idea.
  • sjb5577
    sjb5577 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Treesaw66
    Treesaw66 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    THANK - YOU !! THANK - YOU !! for sharing this article!:happy: :happy:
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Needed this. I'm doing Insanity and feeling it today!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's great to understand this dynamic. I had suspected the muscle swell/fluid retention thing, but never heard it explained. I'm just starting my third week. First week I lost 4 lbs, second week I gained 5 lbs!! But my measurments had gone down 1 inch week 2, so I took heart. Tomorrow I check in again...I will keep this in mind, 'cause I plan on pushing myself in the free weights this week...Thanks a million!!! :)MinMin
  • saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options
    Brilliant. Thank you for this. Good to know since I'm supposed to weigh in tomorrow, yet I can barely walk today with DOMS!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Yep, knew this. It is SO true. It is nice to have an article to pass around now instead of just saying it though! Thank you for posting this! :D
  • bethieannie
    bethieannie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ishax24
    ishax24 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!! I started 30ds two wks ago and the scale jumped up about 4/5lbs within a week. That really discouraged me, but I knew I had to push myself even harder the next week to eventually start see the results I want.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've experienced this as well and I did 'quit' so to say... Part due to illness but also due to being discouraged when 3wks of insanely hard work led to no reflection at all on the scales.

I'll remember this for next time :) Thanks!