Older man with Younger Woman (Ladies Only)

Options

Replies

• Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I must say, I am proud of the responses my almost all of the ladies on the topic! I have never seen age as a barrier to a relationship. Those that set an age 'limit' are naive!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly? Are you saying "no there are no women that would do that" or that you think it's wrong? I know lots of girls my age doing that (mid twenties) marrying a guy in his 30's/40's and having kids. I wouldn't do it, but there are women who are. I think it has something to do with the economy. Most younger men aren't making enough to support a family now in their twenties.

What?? I personally can't see women marrying older men because of the economy! Love is love! Money shouldn't have anything to do with that and it most certainly doesn't in my case. As a matter of fact, I was my husbands' boss for three years when we first met, I made way more then him! *lol*

this may shock you, but not all people get married for love..
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

Also, I learned he wanted more kids (he had 3 awesome kids from a previous marriage). I wasn't willing to get on that train with him. By the time said kids would be born, he'd be in his late 40's early 50's! It takes a LOT of energy to raise kids - and there are lots of reasons why a women's body turns off the baby-maker at a certain age.

My husband turned 51 in February, and our youngest son will be 2 next month. He's fine being an older daddy. :) He is active and takes them bike riding, duck feeding at the lake, etc. He'd love to still be taking them boating, but our boat broke and he sold it...
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    There are lots of people who date older people. Men and Women. Age is just a number...for the most part. It really depends on the individuals involved.

Although I don't know if I would ever do it personally...mainly because I find that as we age we may find ourselves at different places. A person who is 10-15 years older than me might start slow down a lot sooner. That gap in age might be a bit too much for me...but again, it will depend on the person and how active/fit/healthy they are.

My Director is married to a man who is 10 years younger than her. She often talks about how the age gap concerns her because she will be slowing down before him and she doesn't want to feel like she is holding him back... She wants to retire in the next four years to travel with her husband but he will still be in his 40's and she fears that he won't want to retire so young.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    dumb topic is dumb
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Age may be just a number, it's the maturity that counts.

When I was 21, I dated a guy who was 27...he was really immature (took me a few years to figure it out) he just wouldn't grow up. He cheated on me with an 18 year old. buh-bye

I had tried dating guys my age, a few years younger and 10 years older, it really just comes down to how motivated and mature the guy is. I'm a bit of an 'old soul' so when I was younger, it was hard finding a guy who wasn't all 'hands-on'.

Currently, I look 10 years younger than my actual age (I still get carded), so if I dated some guy who was older, he would look like a pervert. I also wonder in 10 years if an older guy would be able to keep up with me or not, kudos to him if he can!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I must say, I am proud of the responses my almost all of the ladies on the topic! I have never seen age as a barrier to a relationship. Those that set an age 'limit' are naive!

I agree with that last sentence. I set an age limit when I was younger and I stuck to it until I met a man and fell head over heels and he exceeded that limit. I learned not to set any more limits!
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    my preference is and always has been older men. i rarely connect on a mental level with men my age/younger.

Exactly! (not to sound as though I'm all grown up, I'm definitely not! 35 yrs young! Neither my Mr. or I act our age. :bigsmile: ) My limit is 5 years older or more. Any less than that & it doesn't seem to work. Tried dating guys my age & even a few younger back in the day. :grumble: My Mr. (:heart: been together almost 18 yrs & married for a little over 16 :heart: ) is not quite 5 years older than me. However, I got him fresh out of the USMC which helped mature him tremendously! :love:
  • terrie_exercise_mom
    Options
    I just turned 41 and started dating my now husband on my 19th birthday. He will be 51 in October and is as fit and active as ever. He was going through a divorce when we met so I became a step~mom at 22 and we had our child together when I was 23 and him almost 33. He has always been very active in our sons life and I could not be happier!!!
  • JoyousJustine67
    JoyousJustine67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Age is not a issue but being married is ...........
  • arnoswife
    arnoswife Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I met my husband when I was a 21 year old, he had turned 32 that day. We have been together now for thirteen years and we have three kids. OUR oldest is 6, and our younges is 2!! However I also have a 24 year old step son. So I am literally smack dab in the middle of both the husband and step! Hubby is ten and half years older and step is ten years younger!:laugh:
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My husband is 20 years older than I. I'd never dated anyone more than 6 years older before but it wasn't something I really gave much thought to; we met, we were attracted to one another, he's a great guy, we got along very well, had a lot in common, and that was that. We dated for 2 years and been married going on 5 years now and I don't have plans to get rid of him any time soon. :laugh:
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I typically like older men. Most of my friends are 40+ years old.
  • KettleBellHoe
    KettleBellHoe Posts: 161
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have 13 year difference -Age means absolutely nothing in the game of Love.
    We Been together over 2 years and function efficiently as a team.

I tend to go for the older because I am attracted to the intellectual type and in my experience that is uncommon in a lot of men in their youth.
  • Sunshine_and_Puppies
    Options
    Age is just a number. I've never been with a considerably older man, but my dad is 48 with a 25 year old soon-to-be fiance... It happens.
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I was 19 when i dated a 37 year old man and we dated for 3 years

I love older men though so as long as their not older then 45 im A-OK
  • SnarkyMam0610
    SnarkyMam0610 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are 18 years apart. He turned 42 in November and I am 24. We have been together for almost 8 years, I met him my senior year of high school (I even took him to my prom @ 35 -- he looked 21 so no one knew the difference). At first people weren't too sure about the age difference, think about it 17 yr old dating a 35 year old not exactly the norm, but now that I am getting older people don't even think about it. My friend told me the other day that she doesn't even notice the age difference, because he acts younger than his age and I act older, so we even each other out nicely. I have 2 older stepson one will be 21 and the other will be 16 and my hubby and I have two children 6 and 2.

I perfer older men, because guys my age are a little childish. They don't have the same life goals as I do, they want to go out with their friends and party. I know that there are some guys my age that are not like that, and have settled down, but I still like to hear about the life experiences that my hubby has had, the living he has done, and of course the mistakes that he had made. All those things make him the man that I love.

I think that there is really nothing wrong with a younger woman dating an older man. As long as they love each other and they are compatible, why not!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I think many women are attracted to this option... I'm only 25 and let me tell you dating guys my age isn't easy. They're immature, annoying, don't have their priorities in order and have are usually broke. i realized this almost as soon as I started dating at age 16. I matured very young and it was hard for me to put up with some of the antics of young men. I've dated older, not more than 5 years, and find it refreshing. It's nice to date someone who doesn't ask you for cash to cover their credit card payment...

I think as women age though, this turns around as they age, and then they want younger guys. I was recently chatting with a woman at my work who's husband is 12 years older (she's mid-40s, he's almost 60) and she complains that he is slowing down. She feels like she's in the prime and loves working out and being active, and he's entering a cigar smoking be lazy phase. So to answer your question yes, I think many women are open to dating older guys but it depends on what phase of their own life they are in.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    When I was 20 I was with a man who was 14 years older than me. then I moved on to one who was only 8 years older than me. Now that I am in my early 40's I have been attracted to/seeing men who are generally 10 years younger than me.

What that says I don't know, but it seems that the older I get the younger they get. Lol
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am probably going to take a beating on this, but here goes anyway....

Background...my husband was 5 years my elder and my SO is 5 years older than me, so no real experience with a large age gap.

My opinion....in your mid-20's to mid 50's a ten to fifteen year age gap is probably not a big deal. I think if you go much lower than the mid-twenties, there might be some maturity issues, in some cases.

On the older end (55+), I think the gap would become accentuated again. For example, a 55yo and a 70yo could very likely have much different physical abilities, which would of course dictate their interests and hobbies. It would also be interesting to see how having one-half of the couple retired for 10-15 years before the other affected the relationship.

Not that these obstacles cannot be overcome, especially if you have grown to that point with one another...just things to consider.

At this stage in my life, I cannot imagine being attracted to a 28yo or a 58yo man, but then, I am kind of partial to my SO! :love: