"Old Fashioned" or "Traditional" gender roles

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    So here's my take on the whole thing...a man is a gentleman...he opens doors, he pays on dates, he walks on the road side of the sidewalk. He works...he doesn't necessarily have to be the one making the most money in the house, but a man is supposed to work. He also does his part around the house...traditionally I guess it would be he handles the yard work while the woman handles everything inside the house...I kind of think that's BS...guys should do their part inside the house as well...when my wife and I were still together, and still gave a damn about keeping the house clean, we had an agreement that I would keep the living room and bedroom straight while she handled the kitchen and bathroom...mostly because she was better at that type of thing than I was.

So, now the ladies...they should be submissive...not in the sense that whatever the man says goes, but they should understand that ultimately the final decision is the husband's...however, the husband should be open to his wife's opinion, and not quick to make any decision without her consideration. The woman's first responsibility should be to the children, if there are any, but that doesn't mean she cannot have a career, and as previously mentioned...if she's the one making the most money, that's okay. I don't think that women are less capable of doing an upper management type job or whatever.

LOL no way! If my husband tried to "make decisions" for me, it would not go well for him.

We do discuss it and come to a mutual agreement, but the decision is not ultimately "his" ever when it concerns us both. It's ours. My say has as much weight as his.

And what happens when you're both coming at it from different angles and neither of you are willing to compromise? Do you just say "screw it" and nothing gets done about the situation?

We talk it out like adults who have a mutual respect for each other do! He never has the right to make decisions that affect us both without my okay. Same goes for me. I don't make decisions that affect us both without first clearing it with him. We have a working partnership. He is not dominant over me. I am not dominant over him.

If you can't learn to compromise to give and take, that's not a partnership. That's something else entirely.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Some of this stuff makes me reaallllly happy there is no male person in my house other than the cats.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    So here's my take on the whole thing...a man is a gentleman...he opens doors, he pays on dates, he walks on the road side of the sidewalk. He works...he doesn't necessarily have to be the one making the most money in the house, but a man is supposed to work. He also does his part around the house...traditionally I guess it would be he handles the yard work while the woman handles everything inside the house...I kind of think that's BS...guys should do their part inside the house as well...when my wife and I were still together, and still gave a damn about keeping the house clean, we had an agreement that I would keep the living room and bedroom straight while she handled the kitchen and bathroom...mostly because she was better at that type of thing than I was.

So, now the ladies...they should be submissive...not in the sense that whatever the man says goes, but they should understand that ultimately the final decision is the husband's...however, the husband should be open to his wife's opinion, and not quick to make any decision without her consideration. The woman's first responsibility should be to the children, if there are any, but that doesn't mean she cannot have a career, and as previously mentioned...if she's the one making the most money, that's okay. I don't think that women are less capable of doing an upper management type job or whatever.

LOL no way! If my husband tried to "make decisions" for me, it would not go well for him.

We do discuss it and come to a mutual agreement, but the decision is not ultimately "his" ever when it concerns us both. It's ours. My say has as much weight as his.

I'm not seeing where he said the wife should just let the husband make decisions for her. What I got from it was that issues should be discussed and both opinions studied and carefully weighed but at the end of the day...the man has the final say.

Some people aren't cool with that, and that's fine. We're talking about traditional/old fashioned gender roles here and not everybody wants to live by those roles. I don't necessarily have a problem with it, as long as the wife's opinions/wants/needs are being considered in all things.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Cris gets it :flowerforyou:

If I do...it's all because I had a great role model for a Father, who taught me that to love a woman is to make her understand, in every way possible, that she's THE single most important thing in your life (excepting your children of course...they get a whole separate category above and beyond humanity). If she can't appreciate that...and the things I do for her to show her that...then she needs to be with someone else.

Which is probably why I'm still single. Women alllll say they want that...but in the end, they really kind of...well...

Don't.

Cris is a genius. Hopefully one day you'll find someone to appreciate that, because you deserve it.
  • andrewinsuresal
    Options

And what happens when you're both coming at it from different angles and neither of you are willing to compromise? Do you just say "screw it" and nothing gets done about the situation?

We talk it out like adults who have a mutual respect for each other do! He never has the right to make decisions that affect us both without my okay. Same goes for me. I don't make decisions that affect us both without first clearing it with him. We have a working partnership. He is not dominant over me. I am not dominant over him.

If you can't learn to compromise to give and take, that's not a partnership. That's something else entirely.

You're obviously missing my point. You've already talked it out...you can't find compromise...but something has to be done. IMO, it's the man's place, as the head of the household, to make the decision.

And, I never said anything about not compromising or that it wasn't a partnership...I firmly believe that it is. Try not to read things that aren't there.
  • andrewinsuresal
    Options

I'm not seeing where he said the wife should just let the husband make decisions for her. What I got from it was that issues should be discussed and both opinions studied and carefully weighed but at the end of the day...the man has the final say.

Some people aren't cool with that, and that's fine. We're talking about traditional/old fashioned gender roles here and not everybody wants to live by those roles. I don't necessarily have a problem with it, as long as the wife's opinions/wants/needs are being considered in all things.

You get me.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    To be fair, I have the advantage of knowing you IRL, Andrew :laugh:
  • andrewinsuresal
    Options

There is that. :wink:
  • abberbabber
    Options

Don't make me regret inviting you here :explode: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Feminism took a wrong turn when women tried to be the SAME as men. Equal doesn't mean identical. Women and men have naturally different roles obviously, and while there are some exceptions, men like women who are feminine and women like men who are manly. How they define those characteristics differs, but there are some constants. I don't know many women who like a guy that cries every time he sees a baby. And I don't know many men who like women that have farting contests.

Thank you. Someone gets it. Different but equal.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I like old fashioned. To me this means I'd do the cooking and cleaning, keep the house in order and raise the kids. It also means that as his wife I'd have to keep up with my appearance and take care of myself. I'd expect the man I'm with to work and have a decent career as well. I'd also keep working but I'll probably work less once i had kids. My parents were like this and they've been happily married around 35 years now and have 5 of us :smile:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

You're obviously missing my point. You've already talked it out...you can't find compromise...but something has to be done. IMO, it's the man's place, as the head of the household, to make the decision.

And, I never said anything about not compromising or that it wasn't a partnership...I firmly believe that it is. Try not to read things that aren't there.

I'm not reading anything that isn't there. I simply answered your question that you posed to me.

I just find the comment I put in bold on my first quote to be rather offensive and presumptuous. It presumes that the man must "know better" than the wife, and that is not always the case.

Anyway, I'm sure you're a good person, and I don't feel like hammering this home any more than I have. I've made my point and I'll gracefully just agree to disagree from here on out.
  • andrewinsuresal
    Options

Don't make me regret inviting you here :explode: :laugh: :laugh:

You mean you don't already? I have work to do. :laugh:
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options

If I do...it's all because I had a great role model for a Father, who taught me that to love a woman is to make her understand, in every way possible, that she's THE single most important thing in your life (excepting your children of course...they get a whole separate category above and beyond humanity). If she can't appreciate that...and the things I do for her to show her that...then she needs to be with someone else.

Which is probably why I'm still single. Women alllll say they want that...but in the end, they really kind of...well...

Don't.

You are a treasure!! Tonight, my wish on a star is for you......

May you bring a perpetual sparkle to the eye of a beautiful woman who truly deserves you!! :flowerforyou:
  • andrewinsuresal
    Options

I'm not reading anything that isn't there. I simply answered your question that you posed to me.

I just find the comment I put in bold on my first quote to be rather offensive and presumptuous. It presumes that the man must "know better" than the wife, and that is not always the case.

Anyway, I'm sure you're a good person, and I don't feel like hammering this home any more than I have. I've made my point and I'll gracefully just agree to disagree from here on out.

It wasn't meant to be offensive, I believe you're just reading it differently than I intended. But, anyway, yeah, it's nothing to get to get in an argument about.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    If I saw that on a dating site, what it would mean to me is that they're likely close-minded, homophobic, probably a bit sexist, would look down on me for being a feminist, and that I'm not going to bother writing to them.

Saw which statement on a dating site? I stand by what I've said...and the last thing I am is closed minded, homophobic, or anti-feminist (as long as you're not one of those feminazi types that sees a slight against woman kind every time I open a door for you...OR repeat your order to the waiter).

Don't.
    Some of us do!

Can you PLEASE...pleasepleaseplease tell me where that line starts? Because I seriously think I'm in the wrong part of the station :l.

Don't.

Cris is a genius. Hopefully one day you'll find someone to appreciate that, because you deserve it.

Don't.

You are a treasure!! Tonight, my wish on a star is for you......

May you bring a perpetual sparkle to the eye of a beautiful woman who truly deserves you!! :flowerforyou:

You know what? I love you both lol.

In a totally non threatening to your marriages way...of course.

:flowerforyou:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

you sound like my asian mom but in our case, my dad's decision prevails
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    "at the gas station I see an older lady staring at the gas pump like it's completely foreign to her. Went over to ask if she needed some help. She tells me her late husband pumped their gas since they started dating (when she was 18). 56 years later he passed away and she doesn't know how to pump gas. I simply explain everything and do it for her. Look over and she begins to cry and says how blessed she is to have a complete stranger help her out. "

Saw this on Facebook. All the women thought it was sweet. I do feel for her, she lost her husband. But at the same time I thought it was somewhat pathetic. I just can't understand how an individual can be so helpless.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    Some of this stuff makes me reaallllly happy there is no male person in my house other than the cats.
    100 % Agreed
  • abberbabber
    Options
    "at the gas station I see an older lady staring at the gas pump like it's completely foreign to her. Went over to ask if she needed some help. She tells me her late husband pumped their gas since they started dating (when she was 18). 56 years later he passed away and she doesn't know how to pump gas. I simply explain everything and do it for her. Look over and she begins to cry and says how blessed she is to have a complete stranger help her out. "

Saw this on Facebook. All the women thought it was sweet. I do feel for her, she lost her husband. But at the same time I thought it was somewhat pathetic. I just can't understand how an individual can be so helpless.

I agree. There's a difference between someone choosing to do something you're capable of for you and being completely incapable of doing that think yourself. Need be, I can change a tire but I'm more than happy to let some big strong man come by and do it for me :laugh: