"Old Fashioned" or "Traditional" gender roles

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Can I be completely blunt?

Old fashioned, to me, means;

Courting. Not dating. This means pursuing someone you wish to marry. Not just for a companion to have fun with.

No pre-marital sex. Old fashioned, to me, means keeping it in your pants until you've made the decision to say I want to be with you forever.

Having manners. Please. Thank you. No cell phone during the date. Being aware of your surroundings and attempting to make those around you comfortable by not being an *kitten*. Not swearing in mixed company. Etc. I know this one sounds odd but manners seem to be a thing of the past and thus are an 'old-fashioned' concept.

And that's what old-fashioned or traditional means to me in this context. I don't see why that would be bothersome for anyone but hey, to each their own.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many people have this wrong, or at least a warped view of it. A "role" is talking about a role within the household, it goes way beyond opening doors and pulling out chairs.

Traditional or old fashioned roles refer to the times when the man would go to work all day and bring home the bacon. The woman would stay home to take care of the kids, cook, clean, and have dinner ready when the man gets home. The man would be the provider and the women would be the nurturer.

Perhaps I misread the OP but it's lead to interesting discussions don't you think?

Traditional gender roles work just fine for some people and not for others. No biggee.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My husband and I do have a fairly traditional relationship. I run the household. I'm a SAHM. He brings home the bacon, and I have dinner ready when he gets home. I make breakfast and pack his lunch. He plays with the kids and does their baths and bedtimes at night. He pays the bills. I do the grocery shopping. It works for us.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    In my house... the woman does the plumbing, drywall, painting, carpentry, landscaping/yardwork and taking care of the cats. Because I'm really good at handyman stuff and enjoy it, and he's not and doesn't.

The man and woman share duties on cooking, cleaning, and taking care of the dog. Currently, the man has a job and the woman doesn't :frown: so I take most of those other duties, too.

I don't mind helping doing these types of things... I actually do all the painting... and the taking care of the cats... I recently told my husband that I wanted to get myself my own toolkit (mostly cause I hate rifling through his things in the garage for a screw driver... especially, when it's too cold or too hot), so I could do simple repairs around the house... after he teased me a bit about wanting to get rid of him, he suggested I (with his help of course) install the dishwasher when we replace it.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    men should
    * pay the bill when dining out
    * the man should give the orders to the waitress ( i tell hubby want i want, he tells the wait staff)
    * open doors
    * wait for the woman to sit down at the table
    ^ take out the trash

women should
    * make sure the home is clean ( now of course, if she works and he doesn't, then that is different but i;m talking about traditional house wife)
    * cook the meals
    * tend the children
    ---
    now i am a modern woman with old fashion traits
    my man pays all the bills (im not working now anyway)
    he places my orders for me
    when we are out .. he does the heavy lifting
    i cook and clean
    but when he isn't home, i also cut the grass, make minor repairs in the house
    i can change a tire, check oil , pump the gas( stuff women needs to know if they drive :laugh: )

** i do believe your man should be pleased .. i make sure when he gets in, his chair is ready, his slippers are by his chair and i get his food/drinks when he wants something ** .. i also make sure his clothes are laid out for the next day .. this is just how we live..

we do not tell each other what we can or can not do .. but i feel since i am at home for now, i should care for the home ..
    he is working and earning the money - so he handles paying the bills (sorry i rambled on)

I have no objections to any of these things... except ordering. I order my own food, thanks. :-)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I misread the OP but it's lead to interesting discussions don't you think?

Traditional gender roles work just fine for some people and not for others. No biggee.
    For sure, things have definitely come a long way, most households just find a middle ground that works for both of them.

Guys are traditionally expected to pay for dates because traditionally they have always been the bread winners. But these days most women have jobs. I've been out with a few women that make more money than I do, does that mean they should pay? They seem to like the traditional role of me opening doors for them and me paying, yet they don't really know how to cook and they have no intention of staying home when they have children. It doesn't work like that (well, maybe for some people).

It's like...you can't expect me to open doors for you after you've just gotten finished lecturing me about how women can do everything just as well as a man can do it.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

For sure, things have definitely come a long way, most households just find a middle ground that works for both of them.

Guys are traditionally expected to pay for dates because traditionally they have always been the bread winners. But these days most women have jobs. I've been out with a few women that make more money than I do, does that mean they should pay? They seem to like the traditional role of me opening doors for them and me paying, yet they don't really know how to cook and they have no intention of staying home when they have children. It doesn't work like that (well, maybe for some people).

It's like...you can't expect me to open doors for you after you've just gotten finished lecturing me about how women can do everything just as well as a man can do it.

This, times like...a lot :laugh:

Although I do like a man to be a gentleman, I don't really cook....because I suck at it. I'm also in school so that I can have a career...I wouldn't mind staying home if I was with someone who had a good enough job to support a family, but I do like the idea of having a good career myself. I don't think one negates the other.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Doesn't this mean I please you sexually and then make you a sammich and bring you a beer?
    The sex better be freaking amazing. :]
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    In terms of jobs, chores, etc...doesn't matter.

But I want my man to cry less than I do, to weigh more than I do, and to know when to take charge in the sack. :devil:

I feel exactly the same way.

In my house the roles have blended, my dad was the bread winner for awhile and now he is confined to a wheel chair so now my mom is the bread winner. My mom always told me, "Make sure you never rely on anyone else because you never know what could happen." Her mom told her the same thing and it's a good thing she listened because if my mom never went to college and then got her Master's degree we would be in financial trouble. So thats how I live my life as well. A woman should never have to depend on a man but instead work together to make the relationship one of mutual resepect.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Careful young lady! Or you'll quickly feel the wrath of the MFP chapter of the United Feminazi Coalition for setting women's rights back 50yrs with that statement!

I do appreciate you taking the target off my back for awhile though :).

Pfft...I'm not worried about them...besides, I've had guys apologize to me on behalf of their gender...does that mean they have to turn in their man cards? LOL!! :bigsmile:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Careful young lady! Or you'll quickly feel the wrath of the MFP chapter of the United Feminazi Coalition for setting women's rights back 50yrs with that statement!

Pfft...I'm not worried about them...besides, I've had guys apologize to me on behalf of their gender...does that mean they have to turn in their man cards? LOL!! :bigsmile:

Oh, I apologize for my gender constantly...I honestly have very little respect for most of them these days. But I have to say, there's no men's group targeting guys like me for ruining all of these imaginary exclusive rights we seem to keep for ourselves either =p.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options

Oh, I apologize for my gender constantly...I honestly have very little respect for most of them these days. But I have to say, there's no men's group targeting guys like me for ruining all of these imaginary exclusive rights we seem to keep for ourselves either =p.

Oh I hear you...and I chalk that up to altitude sickness from being up on their high horses for too long...should I duck & cover now? Hehehe...
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Oh I hear you...and I chalk that up to altitude sickness from being up on their high horses for too long...should I duck & cover now? Hehehe...

Altitude sickness! That explains EVERYTHING!!

There's a 'who should pay on the first date' thread that your refreshing outlook could do some good on =p.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options
    Altitude sickness! That explains EVERYTHING!!

There's a 'who should pay on the first date' thread that your refreshing outlook could do some good on =p.

I would definitely have to go into Witness Protection if I voiced my opinion over there...
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I had no idea so many of you ate bacon. Is that some sort of new diet?
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Doesn't this mean I please you sexually and then make you a sammich and bring you a beer?
    In my house it does!
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I really don't care for the SAHM 'laziness' stigma. My wife is a SAHM and we have 4 young kids. If you think that is an easy chore, please feel free to babysit for us if you need to relax. We could use the time away. I see a lot of people working 'real jobs' that do far less work than my wife does at home.
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well, if you insist, I'm very "progressive" that way...
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    In our house, "old fashioned" and "traditional" are defined as:

Hubby goes to work and earns the paycheck. Hubby protects the family and disciplines the kids.

Wifey has the kids, feeds the kids, cleans the house, cleans the cars, waits on hubby hand and foot, changes diapers, does the laundry, helps the kids with the homework, does the dishes, drives everyone everywhere, and makes sure no one is choking on/spitting on/strangling/pulling someones hair someone else.

And I get no sex for it.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    In our house, "old fashioned" and "traditional" are defined as:

Hubby goes to work and earns the paycheck. Hubby protects the family and disciplines the kids.

Wifey has the kids, feeds the kids, cleans the house, cleans the cars, waits on hubby hand and foot, changes diapers, does the laundry, helps the kids with the homework, does the dishes, drives everyone everywhere, and makes sure no one is choking on/spitting on/strangling/pulling someones hair someone else.

And I get no sex for it.

That's not marriage... that's slavery. :laugh: :sad: