Being bashed on for being 23 and pregnant!! :(

Options

Replies

• mom2fabfive
    mom2fabfive Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am not a young mother and wasn't when I had my first one. ( I was 26) However, I just wanted to say that 23 isn't too young and there are benefits to having your children young. I think your body is better at withstanding the stress of carrying a baby. Believe me it was easier with my first at 26 than with my 5th at 37! Surround yourself with people who are supportive! I am sure that you will be a wonderful mother. Being a mom is the hardest job I have ever had but it is the most rewarding! Good luck and remember that every baby is a gift!
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I was 19 when I had my first child. My circumstances weren't that great, but I had a little angel coming and had to become a resposible adult. She changed my life forever. If I had not had her, who knows where, or even worse, what I would be if I didn't have her. God put her in my life at the best time He could in order for me to become a better person. She's 13 now and I still thank God every day for her and my son. I now have a 5 month old and he also brings so much joy to my life. I couldn't imagine my life without my children...regardless of what age I was when I had them. Being a mommy is one of the greatest feelings one could ever experience.

Good luck and God bless!!
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I just had another thought too--your body will snap back way faster and easier having a baby at 23 than at, say, 33. I have friends who've had kids in the 20's and again in their 30's, and they all say their pregnancies were SO much harder in their 30's compared to their 20's. Maybe it's my vanity that even thought to mention this (yes, it is my vanity, haha), but that's just another little bonus to being pregnant young, imho.
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options
    So I recently just found out that I am pregnant. I do not believe in abortion, and I am for sure willing to own up to my responsiblity. My boyfriend is very supportive as well, although the thing is.. I recently just left my job to go back to school, it is hard finding another job these days. I know no matter what I will strive to be the best mom I can be, I may be very "young" to alot of people, but I would love to hear any stories from young mothers who are holding up strong with their child today, and who has made it. Please.. I need the support....

I'm worried about being unemployed.. my bf is working, I am going to a ROP program for school which is about a 6-8 month program for medical assisting / billing & coding, I cannot afford going to another school right now.. I hope I can make it, I know it will be a struggle but I also know it'll be worth it.

I don't think 23 is too young I think that is a prime age for baby makin. Your young and you can bounce back and still be successful in whatever you do. Shoot I'm 26 prolly won't be a mom til I'm 30 something and yet I still haven't committed to the thought of having a kid. I'm gonna be an old braud when I have a baby lol I would love to just don't have to the nerve to jump into it. And your right it is hard to find a good job these days. I wish you the best of luck and with your boyfriend you are going to love the joys of motherhood.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    23 is not too young. I think it is a perfect age. You will get through it.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    So I recently just found out that I am pregnant. I do not believe in abortion, and I am for sure willing to own up to my responsiblity. My boyfriend is very supportive as well, although the thing is.. I recently just left my job to go back to school, it is hard finding another job these days. I know no matter what I will strive to be the best mom I can be, I may be very "young" to alot of people, but I would love to hear any stories from young mothers who are holding up strong with their child today, and who has made it. Please.. I need the support.. Thank you mfp.

I think part of "owning up to your responsibility" is owning up to the fact that you are in school and unemployed. The BEST thing you could do for your child would be to give him/her up for adoption by a couple who are emotionally and financially prepared to be parents. THAT would be being the "best mom you can be" at this point in your life. Your child gets a secure future and loving parents who can't have a child otherwise become outstanding parents. Win/win.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I had my son when I was 18 years old. He is now 12 (almost 13) and we are doing pretty good. I managed to obtain my Associates degree and will be finishing my Bachelors next May. There have been trying times but nothing you could not handle. Just make sure you lead by example and stay strong.
  • arisher
    arisher Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was 23 when I gave birth to my son. He just turned 22 years old on Friday. I was a young mother and I totally enjoyed the experience. Looking back now I feel like I grew up with my son, we had so much fun. I was his parent first and foremost and then his friend. He just graduated college and I'm only 45 and enjoying life to the fullest. Remember to love your family, put them and God first and everything else will fall into place. I hope this helped, I wish you all the best:):)
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Its not unusual in my family. between 20-25 .. sometimes earlier or later. my sister is 17 and 29 wks pregnant. .. I was 21 when i had my twins .. they are 2.5 yrs old now.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I had my first when I was 23! She just turned 18 last month and I haven't regretted a moment! She's an amazing young woman and has been nothing but a blessing to me and her dad. I've know many much younger mothers than 23. Being at the other end of things I can tell you it's nice to have a kid old enough to manage things for herself when I'm only 40! She's my workout buddy and she watches her siblings all the time while her dad and I sneak out on dates or to go shopping. We have plenty of years left to do fun things together being in our early 40's. :)
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter at 20 and she is now in college and fixing to spend the summer in England as an exchange student (doing great in other words). The nice thing about having a kid when you are young is that you can relate to them on so many levels and everything new they discover becomes new for you again.

And, I also have three more kids, the oldest of this group being four years old (soon to be five), take it from me, it's much easier when you are young because you are more inclined to go with the flow. With my babies today, well, sometimes I feel like I'm going to give myself a stroke I get so upset with them.

Anyway, either way, good luck.
  • greyt2bfit
    greyt2bfit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was 17 - now I'm nearing retirement, 3 great kids, 5 wonderful grandkids, and managed to get baccalaureate and master's degrees along the way. Forget the naysayers, you can do it!
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I was 18 with my first. I'm 23 and turning 24 in June and now I have 3. I wouldn't have changed it for the world. Being young I think helped me to be open minded when it came to parenting. Some things older parents can't understand. I have been with my partner 7 years and hoping to get married in the near future. I don't regret a thing! You'll be just fine. Goodluck with everything and heres to a healthy pregnancy and labour. There is no such thing as a "perfect" time to have children no one is ever "ready"!!!
  • quixotic84
    quixotic84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ugh... people are just plain cruel! My step-mom was 15 when she got pregnant with my step-sister. My step-mom turned out fine - a certified dental assistant. And her kid had a kid young too, at 17, and is also doing just fine. My biological sister was also young when she had her first kid and both she and the child are doing great! There is a terrible stigma about young mothers, but hey - at least you're an adult so you have legal rights over the baby! Seriously though, it has nothing to do with age and everything to do with your ability to parent!
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think 23 is young, but only because I don't want to have children, so getting pregnant scares me in general.

That said, I don't think it matters what age you are or what your financial status is!! Someone could be a great mom at 20, or a horrible mom at 30. Just do your best to support your child--mentally, physically, financially, and emotionally. :)
  • tenikb02
    tenikb02 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was 21 when I had my daughter. Oh and let me say, this happened in my 2nd year of University. I thought it was the end of my life but it just changed for the better. I have a very supportive family so it made it a lot easier to cope with. As long as you are determined to meet your goals no one can say anything to you. I went back to school and completed an Associates Degree in January. I am also on my way to my Bachelor's Degree in the Fall. I was told that I wouldn't complete school but that is a joke! My daughter is turning 4 and I couldn't be happier with my decision or my life. It has been a LOOOOOOONG and difficult journey but she has been worth every minute of it.

You can and will do it! Best of Luck:flowerforyou:

Congratulations.
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just want to say thank you so much for giving this child a chance!!!!! That is what will be most important to this child. The child won't care how old you were when you had Him/her What they will know when they grow up is that Mommy loved them enough to give them a chance at life. Yes it might be hard ( I should know my husband and I have 6 children on 1 income) But honestly the kids don't care about "things" all they really need and want is your love and understanding! I am SURE you will be a GREAT MOM. You have already proved how much you love your child by having them. Good luck and remember to enjoy your child!!
  • goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I turned 24 just 2 days after my son was born. He is 13 now. His dad left when he was only 9 months old and never looked back. I raised my son by myself for 12 years. (Found an amazing man last year!) I am so proud not only of my son, but of myself for being able to do it on my own. Good luck with your pregnancy!!
  • horseloverdawn
    horseloverdawn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Dear Miss Lauren,
    I was 19 when my first child was born. I had two kids with one on the way when I was 23. My kids are all grown now and have kids of their own. I'm so happy to see a young woman ready to take on the role of mom instead of the alternative...you will never regret being a mom! I have been married 30 years this year and I am still young enough to enjoy life with grandchildren and my adult children. You can do this! Best wishes and keep us posted!
  • Janiot
    Janiot Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I had my children at 32 and 38 - believe me being 53yrs old with a 15 year old is not fun!!
    Enjoy being a "young" healthy Mum - you have your whole life ahead of you!!