Survey time: Should a guy pay on a first date?

Options

Replies

• MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    did he do the asking out? If so yes.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    boy.... am i glad we got this resolved.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you had let her pay?

For a multitude of reasons. It's what I was taught. It's my responsibility as a man. I don't want her to have to, or even feel like she has to. I want to show her (in a rather simplistic way) that I hold her above other girls who might be 'friends'.

The list certainly doesn't end there...and not one of those reasons on that list involves controlling her.

Please explain to me how not letting someone do something they would like to do not controlling.

Please explain to me how someone not letting me do something I want to do is not controlling.
    I would say that in a mutually respectful relationship if there are two contradictory ideas, then some of the time one person would do want they wanted to do and some of the time the other would.

And I would say, that in a mutually respectful relationship, I would give on things that were very important to her, and she should give on things that are very important to me.

I still don't see which part of this is controlling.
    What if it was important for her to pay?

Then she should probably move on and find a man more interested in showing her a complete lack of respect...because that man isn't me.

Simply put...if she can't comprehend and appreciate the fact that I am doing what I'm doing out of a desire to show her my respect and admiration, or at the least my acknowledgement of the fact that I appreciate her accepting (or even offering) to go out with me...she's NEVER going to get the fact that I'll open every door we go through (assuming my hands aren't full with children), open her car door before opening my own, walk on the outside of the sidewalk, take her place in front of a moving car...you know, things men are supposed to do for the women who have graced us with their love and attention.

At that point, as I said...it's best we simply part ways.
    Agree that probably wouldn't be a good match.
    However, allowing a woman to pay isn't really a sign of disrespect. Can a woman not show respect, admiration, love, and affection by paying for a dinner?

Actually...as you've seen in this thread, for the majority of society it surely is a sign of disrespect, and I agree with them.

As for a woman showing respect, admiration, love, and affection...respecting my need to provide for her in the form of paying for our 'dates' does all of those things and more. Again, if she is so independant that she has to send some sort of message just to express it, by paying for herself, or even for both of us...we're not going to work out well anyhow.

There are many ways, even financially...for a woman to show appreciation for a man, that don't take away from the societally accepted (and sometimes deeply ingrained) ways a man financially shows appreciation for a woman.

Its not a sign of disrespect. My husband has the fullest respect for me and has never disrespected me. I'm glad he appreciates me for the person I am instead of just for me being a woman.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think he should pay, but I think she should offer to pay. :)
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    If a woman insists on paying for her part of the dinner, she's obviously wanting to control you by NOT letting you pay for the dinner.

How's that for a flip?

HA! Touche...I dig it.

Thank you!
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If this was an accurate representation of society it doesn't make it right. (not sure if I consider an MFP forum to be an accurate representation of society)
    A hundred years ago, most societies didn't allow women to vote; does that mean we shoud have continued that policy/law?
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I pay.

Why, because no matter what society says about equal this or any other crap. I am a man. I do not need your permission to be a man. I will not have you dictate to me how to be a man. If you do not wish a second date, that is fine. The first date is to see if we both qualify for a second date.

Now, if we have been together for a long time, and we go out and you wish to pay.......
    I will still pay. Because I am a man. I do not need your permission to be a man. etc.
  • sunnyday789
    Options
    If a woman insists on paying for her part of the dinner, she's obviously wanting to control you by NOT letting you pay for the dinner.

How's that for a flip?

As I said earlier......

I would say that in a mutually respectful relationship if there are two contradictory ideas, then some of the time one person would do want they wanted to do and some of the time the other would.
  • coachblt
    Options
    If this was an accurate representation of society it doesn't make it right. (not sure if I consider an MFP forum to be an accurate representation of society)
    A hundred years ago, most societies didn't allow women to vote; does that mean we shoud have continued that policy/law?

Hell yeah! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :wink: :wink: :wink: :smile: :wink: :laugh: :happy:
  • coachblt
    Options

How's that for a flip?

As I said earlier......

We're not talking about a relationship. We're talking about the FIRST DATE.
  • sunnyday789
    Options

How's that for a flip?

As I said earlier......

We're not talking about a relationship. We're talking about the FIRST DATE.
    Actually if you had followed the conversation (I know, too long) the repsonse was to a man who insisted that he would always want to pay.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I was wondering when (not if) it was going to get to this. Somehow men being men and doing men things to appreciate women, always gets turned into some equal rights ridiculousness that is completely unrelated.
    Its not a sign of disrespect. My husband has the fullest respect for me and has never disrespected me. I'm glad he appreciates me for the person I am instead of just for me being a woman.

That's great that this worked for you. The fact remains that part of who you are, is a woman. If he doesn't respect that part as well...then he doesn't respect you (understand, I'm not saying he doesn't, I'm saying you likely don't see it for what it is). I too want to be respected for who I am...and a large part of that includes the fact that I am a man. If I were a woman, even with a very similar overall outlook...I would certainly not be the same person.
  • sunnyday789
    Options

Hell yeah! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :wink: :wink: :wink: :smile: :wink: :laugh: :happy:

lol, now I understand where your perspective
  • jfaure23
    jfaure23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    He at least needs to make the motion like he's going to pay!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I think whoever invited should pay but I also think the guy should pay.
  • Marcel7
    Marcel7 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say yes. $75 is bit steep for a first dinner. I would say that if you expected the guy to pay, you shouldn't have given him any money. In any case, since this is important to you, I would say you should not go out with him again.
  • krclaytor
    krclaytor Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Of course. When you ask the girl, its implied that you wish to pay for the "adventure". She can always go spend money herself, without the hassles of dong it on a date. And if she ask you, be old fashion and pay anyway. Can't take it with you.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Split the bill :) seems fair to me.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Guys should pay the first 2-3 months of dating. It's part of courting a woman.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Yes! The women should offer to pay and the man should refuse to let her. :happy: That's how it works people.