Is it okay to have 'bad food' everyday?

Options

Replies

• kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I definitely do...not so much fried foods since those tend to just give me a stomachache now, but I have ice cream or something sweet pretty much every day! I've lost 31 lbs since last June but have only been on MFP since January
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've found that eventually, you'll realize that you'd rather "spend" your calories on good-for-you foods. I've slowly (over 3 years) weined myself off of bad foods, not on purpose or by depriving myself, but just by realizing I feel fuller and better by eating "whole" foods.
  • manderann
    manderann Posts: 189
    Options
    Like a lot of others are saying, there's no point in depriving yourself. I do try to stay away from the processed foods and fast food, but some ice cream, homemade cookies, or some chocolate... That always hits the spot. I try to find ways to make recipes healthier, too. It's fun and you don't have to feel as guilty!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I am eating bananas and peanut butter right now as a snack... is that bad?

Cause it sure feels sinful

MMMmmmm

Yum and no it's actually good. :) I ravish peanut butter everyday!
    No that's definitely bad........lots of carbs and fat. [scarcastic] lol
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    its funny how some people seem to brag that they eat junk as if they are a bad *kitten* or something. get over yourselves. But, if you are gonna eat crap, why must you try to convince the newcomer to eat crap also? selfish much?

. I do NOT think that cheesecake (if made with real cream, etc) or real ice cream is junk. I dont eat it everyday, but I will have it on special occasions.

To me junk is packaged foods that are prepared in crap oils or fat free, low calorie food that is fat free or low calorie just to appeal to those restricting calories.

Eating real whole foods like real cheese and steak are good (for me).

I just dont get why the "I'm cool cuz I still eat crap" folks seem to discourage those asking for ideas to avoid crap.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am eating bananas and peanut butter right now as a snack... is that bad?

Cause it sure feels sinful

MMMmmmm

Yum and no it's actually good. :) I ravish peanut butter everyday!
    No that's definitely bad........lots of carbs and fat. [scarcastic] lol

Don't forget how terrible legumes are for you, making it a triple whammy
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    I had two fun size Snickers bars last night. And two days ago I had left over pizza for breakfast. Both days I was still under my calories and ate lots of fruits/veggies the rest of the day. I don't think it's bad to eat junk sometimes. I've actually found the driving through McDonald's for a reduced fat ice cream cone is the best way to get my ice cream fix (rather than getting a way bigger/fattier ice cream cone at an ice cream shop or keeping it in the house.) Seems ironic that it's at McDonald's. Ha!

Gee, I had two fun size snickers last night too LOL. And I LOVE the McDonald's ice cream cones! Low calories for a nice treat!

I always thought it was impossible for those Mcdonalds ice cream cones to be only 150 calories and turns out, I was right. They low-balled it on their estimation. Depending on the size the person serves you any given day, the ice cream is actually 225-270 calories. Makes you wonder what else they're underestimating. Food for thought.

http://www.cspinet.org/new/200302181.html
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    This will be a lifetime commitment...so...a lifetime without "bad" food? I don't think so! Within your healthy stats I think should be OK..at least that will be my plan! :flowerforyou:

Perhaps people should actually make a commitment to lose their weight first and then have their treats and move into the lifestyle change at that point.

Too many excuses as to why people should be able to eat a cake here, a sweet there, chips, burgers, candy and everything else that is high in calories and contributed to their weightgain in the first place.

It is a lifetime commitment (or should be) but for goodness sake, lose the weight first, it is not as if anybody needs to be on restricted calories for life, it is usually a few months.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are meeting your nutritional needs and don't have health problems that the "bad food" would exacerbate or complicate, then it's probably okay. But only regular visits with your physician can answer that question accurately.
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    See this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

the dude ate bad food and lost 27 pounds. BECAUSE HE STAYED WITHIN A CERTAIN CALORIE RANGE FOR WEIGHTLOSS.

- his body fat dropped from 33.4 to 24.9 percent ON A TWINKIE DIET

It's not healthy, but just goes to show that calorie deficits will STILL lead to weight loss.
    Actually he ate vegetables and consumed a protein supp everyday.

So? Accdg to the article 2/3 of his diet was junk. Which is the point of the discussion. Bad foods CAN still allow you to lose weight.
    Anytime we create a deficit these same improvements show up regardless of what we eat, so it's not about the twinkies it's about overall health improvements when someone loses weight.

EXACTLY. That's what I'm trying to prove with this article. EATING AT A DEFICIT MAKES YOU LOSE WEIGHT. What you eat doesnt matter.

Is it good? Not really, but if weight loss is your goal, then CALORIE DEFICIT MATTERS. Not whether it's "bad food" or not.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Perhaps people should actually make a commitment to lose their weight first and then have their treats and move into the lifestyle change at that point.

Too many excuses as to why people should be able to eat a cake here, a sweet there, chips, burgers, candy and everything else that is high in calories and contributed to their weightgain in the first place.

It is a lifetime commitment (or should be) but for goodness sake, lose the weight first, it is not as if anybody needs to be on restricted calories for life, it is usually a few months.

So many people don't understand that "change" really means "change." Forever. If too much junk food contributed to your weight gain, you will likely be able to eat it only in very limited quantities for the rest of your life.

It's better to focus on what you're getting from weight loss and fitness, not what you have to give up.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    Just because you’re eating in at your calories or under your calories for any given day with bad food, doesn’t make it healthy. The type of food you eat along with the calorie intake, defines the kind of healthy life style you have or want to have/achieve.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    It's better to focus on what you're getting from weight loss and fitness, not what you have to give up.

perfect. you are not depriving yourself by avoiding junk, you are rewarding yourself by avoiding junk
  • 6to36
    6to36 Posts: 6
    Options
    i tried the "bad food" within my calories and didnt lose anything. i wouldnt reccommend it.

I agree - I am already within the "healthy" weight range and trying to lose these last few pounds, and calorie quality REALLY matters!
  • djsysstem
    djsysstem Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the posters here. If you think you deserve or can eat junk food on daily basis, not only do you slow down your progress, you are essentially not letting your body change rate of metabolism and what it takes in. If you do not have discipline to take out junk food out of daily basis, don't tell others that it is okay. Eat in moderation, spoil yourself from time to time, but don't make it a daily habit.

Those who lost 4 pounds out of 100+ to go should think about giving suggestions on here because you clearly don't know that junk food on daily basis, even in moderation or under calorie goal is still bad. Do your research people and have a great day.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the posters here. If you think you deserve or can eat junk food on daily basis, not only do you slow down your progress, you are essentially not letting your body change rate of metabolism and what it takes in. If you do not have discipline to take out junk food out of daily basis, don't tell others that it is okay. Eat in moderation, spoil yourself from time to time, but don't make it a daily habit.

Those who lost 4 pounds out of 100+ to go should think about giving suggestions on here because you clearly don't know that junk food on daily basis, even in moderation or under calorie goal is still bad. Do your research people and have a great day.

Exactly. Has anyone else noticed that people giving the sound advice on here have lost weight or already met their goal weight?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I usually sneak one "bad food" in nearly every day.

I like to have ice cream or something here and there, but for the most part I try to keep it clean and stick to my plans.
  • Cari40
    Cari40 Posts: 5
    Options
    I've noticed that I was eating something sweet almost everyday, so I'm now trying to at least skip a day or two. Otherwise I think it just becomes a habit for me. I'd rather make eating more fruit a habit for me, rather than cookies or gelato which is still fine but not everyday.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Love, love, love this.
  • dwhitmoyer
    dwhitmoyer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    In some ways, it would depend on what phase you are in of weight loss. Because in the beginning, it's really important to keep the carbs way down, otherwise you won't see the results you want. As you move along and your body is the groove, I've tended to add some things into the diet, i.e., I like a few crunchy wontons on my salads and soups; a piece of low fat cheese on a veggie burger, etc.