Survey time: Should a guy pay on a first date?

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    I do not believe in gender roles. I do not feel like a man and I do not feel like a woman. I feel like myself and I do not feel that my gender obligates me to behave in a certain way. Doing certain activities does not make me feel any more like a "man" whatever that means. I feel like me. Just me. Not man, not woman, not american, not pennsylvanian, just me.

Logically speaking I feel that the person who proposed the location/venue should be the one to pay because subconsciously they chose it with their own budget in mind. However that's for normal people...

My idea of a "date" usually is some form of all day event where I could not possibly afford to pay for the other person entirely, such as a day at an amusement park. I could cover their admission and a few refreshments here and there but that's about it... They should be willing to fork over for some things here and there.

If I couldn't afford to pay for her day at the amusement park with me...I wouldn't have invited her there. That's a great date idea...but you've got to admit it would be quite awkward for you to pay her way in, buy her some refreshments, and then when she wants to go do something that costs extra...say 'Sorry, I don't have the money to pay for us both'.

One thing I like about that is just that, that it forces her to contribute something. I don't like feeling like the other person is taking advantage of me and when they have to contribute something, even if it's just a little bit, like having to pay for their own trips to the concession stand a few times,then I get that feeling I'm looking for. Something just doesn't sit right with me about having them contribute nothing to the date. And maybe this is just because I'm not a naturally social person, but when I don't know you well enough to have already formed a strong bond with you, then your company alone isn't enough to make it worth it.

That makes sense, for you...and if you're good with that, well...that's good. It's not something I'd look down on you for...you have reasons and they are valid for how you feel. I respect that, even if I don't agree.

It wouldn't work for me...but that's ok too. For me, the company is enough...and if it wasn't enough...then of course we won't be going out again. Small investment, and either way there is a return.
  • crisanderson27
    Ok...just one question. What if You've invited the other person out and know they don't have any form of income therefore no cash to contribute towards a number of "dates" ...until they've got a job obviously. What would the the person inviting, think?

Just having a discussion with a friend on this topic. A persons circumstances can have an influence I think. Or would people just write the date and potential relationship off as a no-goer?

I've already given my thoughts on this one - we just want to put it out there. :-)

For me? I wouldn't care if she had no income at all. Her income, whether greater, or lesser than my own...has no impact on whether she is datable or not. Unless it impacts her personality of course.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Ok...just one question. What if You've invited the other person out and know they don't have any form of income therefore no cash to contribute towards a number of "dates" ...until they've got a job obviously. What would the the person inviting, think?

Just having a discussion with a friend on this topic. A persons circumstances can have an influence I think. Or would people just write the date and potential relationship off as a no-goer?

I've already given my thoughts on this one - we just want to put it out there. :-)

For me? I wouldn't care if she had no income at all. Her income, whether greater, or lesser than my own...has no impact on whether she is datable or not. Unless it impacts her personality of course.

Clarification on "impacting her personality". Obviously if they turned out to be an absolute free for all then yeah we get that in the sense it's just taking the Michael. No one likes that.
  • crisanderson27

Clarification on "impacting her personality". Obviously if they turned out to be an absolute free for all then yeah we get that in the sense it's just taking the Michael. No one likes that.

That must be a cultural term lol.

What I meant was...if she's got money, and shoves it in your face, expects incredibly extravagant things (gifts, dates, etc) in order to 'keep' her...that's an example of her personality being impacted by her (higher) income.

Conversely, if she's incredibly uncomfortable (and I mean excessively...to the point of moodiness) accepting things that you do for her, doesn't want to go do things, or begins to just outright expect extra because you've given up to a certain point...then that would be an example of her personality being impacted by her (lower) income.

In discussing this thread on my page, two very wonderful women mentioned ways that income wouldn't be an issue. One works in the science field (read, higher income than my own), and the other is a student who works in the arts (probably a lower income than my own). I hope they don't mind...but I'm going to quote them here:

Higher income:
    Maybe Im an ****** for this (and other things lol). I always offer to pay. If the guy takes me up on it there is NO second date. If he pays for the first couple of dates I will insist on taking him out to someplace pricey enough to make him think ' wow she likes me'..but not too pricey that he thinks I am rubbing my income in his face.

This shows class, appreciation, and tact...all of which I very much respect. It also shows a sense of her own worth, which I find attractive as a trait in general.

Lower income:
    I like my first dates to be free anyway... there's plenty of excellent stuff to do that doesn't cost a penny and actually gives you a chance to get to know the person.

Again, this shows character, creativity, and quite a few other positive traits...and is something I would also find attractive without hesitation.

So there you have some positive personality traits, regardless of income, and negative ones...directly as a result of income.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    I do not believe in gender roles. I do not feel like a man and I do not feel like a woman. I feel like myself and I do not feel that my gender obligates me to behave in a certain way. Doing certain activities does not make me feel any more like a "man" whatever that means. I feel like me. Just me. Not man, not woman, not american, not pennsylvanian, just me.

Logically speaking I feel that the person who proposed the location/venue should be the one to pay because subconsciously they chose it with their own budget in mind. However that's for normal people...

My idea of a "date" usually is some form of all day event where I could not possibly afford to pay for the other person entirely, such as a day at an amusement park. I could cover their admission and a few refreshments here and there but that's about it... They should be willing to fork over for some things here and there.

If I couldn't afford to pay for her day at the amusement park with me...I wouldn't have invited her there. That's a great date idea...but you've got to admit it would be quite awkward for you to pay her way in, buy her some refreshments, and then when she wants to go do something that costs extra...say 'Sorry, I don't have the money to pay for us both'.

One thing I like about that is just that, that it forces her to contribute something. I don't like feeling like the other person is taking advantage of me and when they have to contribute something, even if it's just a little bit, like having to pay for their own trips to the concession stand a few times,then I get that feeling I'm looking for. Something just doesn't sit right with me about having them contribute nothing to the date. And maybe this is just because I'm not a naturally social person, but when I don't know you well enough to have already formed a strong bond with you, then your company alone isn't enough to make it worth it.

That makes sense, for you...and if you're good with that, well...that's good. It's not something I'd look down on you for...you have reasons and they are valid for how you feel. I respect that, even if I don't agree.

It wouldn't work for me...but that's ok too. For me, the company is enough...and if it wasn't enough...then of course we won't be going out again. Small investment, and either way there is a return.

That's the thing for me. I've had a lot of first dates that never amounted to anything. Typically there is no contact again after the first date. I realize it's because I'm a difficult person to get to know as someone with autism, but really, it got tiring years ago. In general human beings are poor company for me, and their company alone is never enough for me to enjoy it. It takes me months, if not years, to form any kind of attachment to someone. So to me a first date more or less always ends up as treating a stranger to a free meal and never seeing them again. And that is something I decided long ago I was done with.

*somehow post duplicated. sorry.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Not necessary I guess, but he SHOULD be the first one to offer to pay ;)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,832 Member
    The way I see it is like this: I was raised with my step dad holding doors, walking on the "car side" of a sidewalk, paying for meals (out of their joint account), and doing all the "manly things" for my mother.

So, I expect that. If the person I'm with isn't that way, then we're not meant for each other. My fiancé lives up to most of those things, except for the manly stuff - but he makes up for that in other ways.

Call me old fashioned or whatever, but I like me an "old fashion gentlemen."
  • crisanderson27
    The way I see it is like this: I was raised with my step dad holding doors, walking on the "car side" of a sidewalk, paying for meals (out of their joint account), and doing all the "manly things" for my mother.

So, I expect that. If the person I'm with isn't that way, then we're not meant for each other. My fiancé lives up to most of those things, except for the manly stuff - but he makes up for that in other ways.

*like*
  • contingencyplan

I was taught all of that stuff too. But it just didn't sink in because it was always my nature to look for logic behind the things we do and if I see none I don't do it. I don't understand the concepts of holding doors open or walking on the car side because they don't seem logical to me. I don't see any real method behind them. When I walk I walk slightly behind, not alongside, because it allows me to see them without making eye contact. I have issues with making eye contact.
  • EmCarroll1990

I was taught all of that stuff too. But it just didn't sink in because it was always my nature to look for logic behind the things we do and if I see none I don't do it. I don't understand the concepts of holding doors open or walking on the car side because they don't seem logical to me. I don't see any real method behind them. When I walk I walk slightly behind, not alongside, because it allows me to see them without making eye contact. I have issues with making eye contact.

Holding the door open: Simply being polite (I do this for everyone)
    Walking on the car side: My step dad explained it as, "If a car is going to swerve off the road onto the side-walk, the woman will have a better chance because it'll hit him first." It seemed kind of romantic to me, he's standing in her line of fire.
  • contingencyplan

Walking on the car side: My step dad explained it as, "If a car is going to swerve off the road onto the side-walk, the woman will have a better chance because it'll hit him first." It seemed kind of romantic to me, he's standing in her line of fire.

I hold the door open for people in general yes, but when I'm with someone they always reach the door first because I walk slightly behind them due to the reason I said above. I like keeping them in my field of view without having to make eye contact.
  • EmCarroll1990

I hold the door open for people in general yes, but when I'm with someone they always reach the door first because I walk slightly behind them due to the reason I said above. I like keeping them in my field of view without having to make eye contact.

I get you. But, whenever this happens my fiancé just goes behind me and grabs the door out of my hand lol.
  • contingencyplan
    Fair enough lol. I would be afraid to do that to someone. Sudden movements like that can set someone off. At least it would with me lol.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Yes, I think the guy should pay for the first date, especially if he asked to take you out. I would still offer to pay for my portion though to be polite.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member

That must be a cultural term lol.

What I meant was...if she's got money, and shoves it in your face, expects incredibly extravagant things (gifts, dates, etc) in order to 'keep' her...that's an example of her personality being impacted by her (higher) income.

Conversely, if she's incredibly uncomfortable (and I mean excessively...to the point of moodiness) accepting things that you do for her, doesn't want to go do things, or begins to just outright expect extra because you've given up to a certain point...then that would be an example of her personality being impacted by her (lower) income.

In discussing this thread on my page, two very wonderful women mentioned ways that income wouldn't be an issue. One works in the science field (read, higher income than my own), and the other is a student who works in the arts (probably a lower income than my own). I hope they don't mind...but I'm going to quote them here:

Higher income:
    Maybe Im an ****** for this (and other things lol). I always offer to pay. If the guy takes me up on it there is NO second date. If he pays for the first couple of dates I will insist on taking him out to someplace pricey enough to make him think ' wow she likes me'..but not too pricey that he thinks I am rubbing my income in his face.

This shows class, appreciation, and tact...all of which I very much respect. It also shows a sense of her own worth, which I find attractive as a trait in general.

Lower income:
    I like my first dates to be free anyway... there's plenty of excellent stuff to do that doesn't cost a penny and actually gives you a chance to get to know the person.

Again, this shows character, creativity, and quite a few other positive traits...and is something I would also find attractive without hesitation.

So there you have some positive personality traits, regardless of income, and negative ones...directly as a result of income.

Totally get both...kinda thought that was what you meant. Just been debating the topic. Lol! Thankfully I'm not the money girl who shoves it in a guys face but I'm not totally the second. Lol! I like to treat guys not just dinners etc or days out - in general. Also like being treated too. Personally i Love going out for meals and stuff but sometimes prefer to stay in BUT I like to make an effort still with home cooked meals and ambience. I can get shy etc in large busy restaurants - local pub/bar is great otherwise. Im getting better as i get older tho. The more cOnfident I am the better socially I am.
    Anyway, thanks for your imput - much appreciated. Oh and yes it's a cultural term for taking the piss out if someone! Lol!
  • contingencyplan
    This is an area where I've always been lost because concepts that are associated with gender have always been totally lost on me. My parents taught them to me but I never really subscribed to them because I always questioned the reason "why" and nobody could ever explain the "why" to me other than tradition, which is something else that's totally lost on me. I do know this: I do not associate any behavior with being "manly" or "womanly." I myself do not know what it feels like to feel like a man or not feel like a man. I feel like me and I always have. Nothing anyone else has ever done has ever affected that. I'm 31 and I can't seem to grasp any of these concepts at all because when I try to analyze it and break it down in my head and figure out the "why" behind it all I just can't.
  • howy0420
    howy0420 Posts: 12
    reading some of these posts make me cringe..

should a guy pay on a first date?
    he probably will..out of good will (and especially if he's the one who asked)
    but SHOULD he? not necessarily (if you're wondering..i do it anyways as a gesture of good will)

"I'd offer to pay my portion..but if he didn't pay for me..there wouldn't be a 2nd date"
    Fake a nice gesture as a test on a first date?
    A real man will be very attracted to that..I can assure you..
    one 5 letter word starting with a b springs to mind..

"a guy should pay for every date"
    again..SHOULD he? Hell no. The guy and his family don't owe you anything.
    In this day and age, a woman have an equal chance of getting a job (with equal pay).
    But COULD he pay for everything? absolutely..if he feels like it!
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member

The woman being on the inside on the sidewalk and the guy on the outside actually stems from some cultures where if the woman is on the outside its making a statement that she is for sale so the man puts the woman on the inside so others know she isn't a *kitten* and it had nothing to do with protection (some cultures still practice this) but now its a tradition that has been rationalized as a gesture of protection.
  • crisanderson27

The woman being on the inside on the sidewalk and the guy on the outside actually stems from some cultures where if the woman is on the outside its making a statement that she is for sale so the man puts the woman on the inside so others know she isn't a *kitten* and it had nothing to do with protection (some cultures still practice this) but now its a tradition that has been rationalized as a gesture of protection.

Or...if you're me, you just do it for the protective aspect...with no knowledge, care or consideration for the fact that it (possibly) used to mean something else entirely.

Actually, wait. I'd like you to explain what cultures that came from, and exactly how those cultures affected our culture in such a profound manner...yet, somehow...we managed to forget the origin entirely.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    It is only based on the circumstances of how that date came to fruition.

If a girl has a crush on a guy and asked him out then why would any reasonable person assume that the guy has to pay ?

I have known attractive woman who wanted to go somewhere or do something and used their attractiveness to get free dates. Yes I knew a girl who would eat out nearly every night for free because she would get idiots to pay for her.

If the guy asks her out then by all means pay for it.

If it is a mutual "friend to friend" date then it goes 50 / 50.

Guys cant do any thing right. If they offer to pay they are misogynistic a holes. If they don't offer to pay they are losers. I am so glad I m married to my best friend since high school!

I have a single friend that just outright asks before the date even happens. Kind of a geniousif you ask me. He simply asks the girl if she is a traditionalist or a feminist. Those that are put off by the question solves the problem by him not going out with them those that answer he understands before the date even happens.