what to do with cottage cheese?

Options

Replies

• FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I use it in smoothies, on salads to spread the dressing out and add protein, plain, with a little pepper, with pineapple, with strawberries, with blueberries, I add it to homemade mac n cheese, lots of stuff. :)
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I just eat mine plain mostly. But adding some strawberry or apricot preserves is sooooo good. I also like pairing with fresh pineapple.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    http://dashingdish.com/recipe/dashing-dish-official-protein-shake/ <<<< you simply must try at least one of these. You'll be hooked. ;)
  • mung222
    mung222 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    OMG.......you have to try this. Take a banana and heat it up in the microwave for a few seconds (i usually leave the peel on but open it up a bit) Something with heating it makes it sweeter and then just cut up and put on cottage cheese. Another way is to cut up apples (peeled or not) and mix with splenda and cinnamon, heat in microwave and put on cottage cheese (or oatmeal). Taste like heaven

What a great idea. I generally have it with apple, cinnamon and splenda but never heated up the mixture...will try it next time.
  • labrennan
    labrennan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 tbl peanut butter and 1/2 cup fiber one cereal....very good and very very filling
  • thaislcrd
    thaislcrd Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use mine as pasta filling. I sautee spinash with a little bit of garlic and salt, drain it, chop it and mix it with cottage cheese. Fill some whole grain pasta shells or manicotti with it, sprinkle some reduced fat cheese over it and bake it with my favorite low fat sauce. Very yummy!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I eat it. Take spoon, dig it into cottage cheese, shovel into mouth.

If I'm in the mood I'll add some brown sugar or some fruit such as blueberries, but I like it enough straight not to have to.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Anyone eat Friendship All Natural Cottage Cheese? I just about fell over when I looked at the sodium content of my cottage cheese, YIKES (410mg per serving) !

Friendship Cottage Cheese - 1% Lowfat No Salt Added Cottage Cheese (Sodium: 60mg)
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    I love stirring about a tablespoon of preserves or jam into it :) it makes it a sweet, creamy treat.

On the other hand, when I want something salty, I mix in some onion soup mix and dip cauliflower and celery into it.
  • PaulJRaymond
    PaulJRaymond Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love to make banana nut protein pancakes with it!!!!

1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 banana
    3 egg whites
    2 tbsp walnuts
    1 tsp cinnamon
    dash of nutmeg
    1tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp baking powder

Blend everything but the nuts in your blender until very smooth. Pour onto your skillet and sprinkle the nuts on top. YUMMMM!!!!

Anyone have a view on how many pancakes this will make? Over 500 kcal here, and so needs to spread over a few if I am to try it.
  • Mar1l1ze
    Mar1l1ze Posts: 16
    Options
    Great thread :)
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Beat up a couple of eggs. Dry fry some onion/garlic and maybe peppers or other veg. Pour veg into dish for oven, add beaten eggs and cottage cheese. Bake and it will turn into a really lovely 'quiche'.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Great thread :)

Agreed.
  • TFritz
    TFritz Posts: 1
    Options
    I use it to make tuna fish sandwiches. Instead of mayonaise or miracle whip I use a 1/2 c. serving to one can of tuna. It's a new trend with my family and friends.:smile:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    with oats, berries and honey
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I like the light flavoured cottage cheeses. Spread a little bit on a rakusens herb and onion cracker and you've got a snack that works out at less than 40 cals each
  • Lay821
    Lay821 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!! i generally dont like the taste of cottage cheese ( too salty and err....slimy ) and never liked it with anything sweet in it because the saltiness was too overpowering..but the Onion and Chives idea sounds awesome!

oh and substituting it for Mayo ...brilliant!
  • mommydearest4ever
    mommydearest4ever Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 tablespoon peach all fruit, sprinkle cinnamon. Mix. 160 calories. So good.