bigger girl at the gym

Options

Replies

• lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    They are probably looking at you saying, "I wish I had the guts to try burpees."

this lol, hats off to anybody who can do these, modified or not
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    And here's a relevant image:

tumblr_lz5fkzXAEo1r4i5umo1_400.jpg

Personally, I always look like I've been chased by wild, angry bears for an hour. It's not a good look. :laugh:
  • nabooru1017
    nabooru1017 Posts: 10
    Options
    It's hard, but NEVER EVER care what people (whom you don't know) think.

Simply walking down the street, someone, somewhere will decide they don't like me today. Just by looking in my direction.

So just put on a smile, and do what your Ma put you on Earth to do.
  • benjongewaard
    Options
    You know you want to make changes. The key is to get to the gym as much as possible. It's one thing to hear everyone say that it doesn't matter what other people say, but the reality is, that you obviously do care. And so did I, when i was much heavier than I wanted to be. I logically knew it didn't matter what other's said, but emotionally, its an entirely different story. As such, I decided to go to the gym when the least people were there...for me that was 9 or 10pm. This way, I could get to the gym, and with fewer people, I wasn't nearly as self conscious about what I was doing. The idea is that you need to stay healthy, and if you have to modifiy when you go....so that you DO go, then so be it.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Even if someone seems to be looking at you, it doesn't have to be bad. I find myself looking at people for longer than I intend to, and it's often because I'm interested in the exercise they're doing and might want to try it myself.
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    I was doing burpees but instead of doing them on the ground, I had a bench in front of me (so instead of going all the way to the ground with my hands, I would just put them on the bench and jump out)

I did these kinds of things too - everything was modified in some way so I could do them, and as a little 225 lb meatball, I felt ridiculous. Stick with it - you are only starting out and as you get stronger, you will be able to increase all areas - more reps, less time, more weight, better form.

It has taken me 6 months, but I have gone from modified burpees (after 10 or so, I would nearly throw up) - to doing 15-20 proper squat thrusts in a row (3 times as part of a 5-6 exercise circuit). My trainer has gradually increased the intensity of the workouts, but as since you get stronger every day, they don't feel any harder from week to week.

Good luck and stay with it! It's worth it!

11894292.png
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym, for the reason you stated, but I honestly think that If i saw someone at the gym who was bigger (than me, as I'm certainly no twig. I'm not even a log, lol) I would be proud of them! Try to keep it up and forget what people think!! If they are judging others at the gym, they must have their own issues.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I've rarely had moments where I feel out of place jut because I'm big. No one stares or makes faces, though some have cleaned up machines after me even after I've cleaned them. The weirdest look I may get would be my "wall push-ups" because I'm too heavy still to do regular ones. Then again I go to the Y and a good one at that. I don't judge the skinny girls so they don't have reason to judge me, we're all there for our health.
  • StrawberryPip
    Options
    you should be proud of yourself! most people at the slightest excuse don't go to the gym. and it looks much better seeing someone working really hard than the idiots that walk around my gym, texting their friends whilst hogging the weights/machines, barely burning a single calorie!

keep up the hard work :)
  • hthrld
    hthrld Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If the gym isn't for people trying to improve their fitness, who exactly are they for? :flowerforyou:

showing off/dating.... unfortunately :( i know how she feels, i'm not huge but i still feel it

My gym isn't like this. I don't really feel there is any judgment where I go, but I am sure it depends on where you go. You are awesome for taking care of yourself and be proud!! You may have to modify now, but you won't always. And then you can see how far you've come. Keep going!!
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    There used to be times where I was the bigges girl in the group exercise classes, and I was a size 14. Mostly everyone in the class was a size 10 or smaller. I used that as motivation to be better than everyone in the class. I was show those thinner girls up by jumping higher, running faster, dropping lower, it was just force me to excel even more, so don't look at it as a negative. Use it as motivation.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome to see people trying to improve. People are usually too occupied with their own workouts to pay attention and if they're not they should be.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Lifetime and I felt that way there. It felt like I was the only there that wasn't already fit. I turned on my headset from the moment I walked in and just went about my business and no one bothered me. Now I go to Planet Fitness and they have all these signs about no judgement etc. There are people at PF of all shapes and sizes, and so far no one has said anything. I like to watch the really fit people running or going fast on the eliptical while I do a brisk walk on the tredmill, its good inspiration.
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If I ever notice that, I'm usually really impressed because I know how much harder it is to work out when you have a lot of extra weight to carry around. So think of it that way - you are doing the most work there and that makes you stronger even than any of those trainers.
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If they're watching you then they're not working on their own fitness. Don't even worry about it.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I don't pay attention to anyone else. I am there for ME. I'm not looking around and watching what others are doing. I am trying to workout.
  • lynnetted43
    lynnetted43 Posts: 252
    Options
    are you kidding? that is exactly where you belong. girl... you gotta start somewhere and kudos for you for even going. i have been in your shoes. after the birth of my 2nd child, who is now 11, i weighed 316. you gotta start somewhere. im a trainer, and i think it is great for you to even start out the smart way. you are learning what your body can handle, and i t will adjust as you lose weight and keep going!!:smile:
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what others think. Just focus on yourself and keep in mind that you are doing yourself a world of good. How can anyone be judgmental about that? I admit I used to be insecure about running outside in front of people in the middle of the day but now I just go - have my music on blast and when I see people looking at me or a couple of people looking at me I just imagine they are saying/thinking nice things lol.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Lifetime and I felt that way there. It felt like I was the only there that wasn't already fit. I turned on my headset from the moment I walked in and just went about my business and no one bothered me. Now I go to Planet Fitness and they have all these signs about no judgement etc. There are people at PF of all shapes and sizes, and so far no one has said anything. I like to watch the really fit people running or going fast on the eliptical while I do a brisk walk on the tredmill, its good inspiration.

Really? I go to a Lifetime Onyx gym and its not like that at all. It seems like at least half of the people at my gym are middle-aged, and I see people of all sizes and fitness levels. I guess it depends on the location and neighborhood you're in.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    noone has the right to judge someone, we all go to the gym because noone just has a perfect body you dont stay fit by sitting on la bumbum. im a PT and i dont normally notice others in the gym, i actually really like it when i do see people who are there trying to better them selfs. the only thing i ever worry about is technique, i dont like seeing poor technique well mainly incorrect technique because i worry someone will hurt themselfs!!! but good for you and keep at it :D the gyms for everyone, no matter what their shape or size :)