Do you tell them or let them figure it out on their own?

Options

Replies

• Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    they can call me anything they like as long as its not ****
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My name has been slaughtered i don't know HOW many times....*ahem* it's Amy, three letters people. I get Jamie a lot, or i've even heard Annie, but the strangest version i've been called was Damie ...who on earth has ever heard of that name? And don't get me started on my 4 letter last name (no it's not LARD) I say let it go until someone else calls you by your correct name in front of him and maybe he will get it :wink:
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    which is short for Rich and even MFP *** it out D**K
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My name is Dusti (a pretty common unisex name from my area). When I am outside of my hometown/local area, people always ask me "what's your name short for?" So, I say "what do you mean?" And they say "That's a nickname right?" And then I say "no... what would it be short for?" And then they say "Oh. That's weird". I get so mad about it. It happens a lot! I also get mad when someone that I have known/worked with for a long time still misspells it. 5 letters folks. It's pretty easy. Why must I constantly correct you when your name is long and complicated, yet I can master it's spelling??

ARGGG!

Edited to add: I am Southern, and when I am on the phone with people outside of the South I will always always be referred to as Destiny. HATE IT SO MUCH! And apparently, my accent mangles up my 5 letter last name and sounds like Word (instead of Ward) on the phone. Very frustrating to explain all this repeatedly.
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    My first name is Billie (like Billy except the girl version)
    Middle name is Jo

When I was younger I went by Billie Jo....and EVERYONE got it wrong. I was Billie Jean, Bobby Jo, Bobby Jean, Betty Jo, Betty Jean...everything BUT Billie Jo!

Now that I am older I mostly go by Billie. I get so irritated when someone asks what my name is, I say Billie, and they respond with, "Did your parents want a boy?" Umm, NO!!!!
    They knew I was a girl and they wanted to name me Billie. What is wrong with that??? I just think that is so rude.
    It's either that or, "What is your real name?" RRRRRRR!!! That is my real name!!
    :mad:

Also I correspond via email with a lot of people I don't know in person and have never spoken to and it never fails that they write Bill. Sigh. I give up.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    My name is Audumn and they butcher it alot the only time I ever correct is when they mistaken my oldest... His name is Rion (like the constellation) and they always call him RE-ON......drives me insane
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    People are stupid.

I get called John because of my last name. Then I tell them it's David, and they call me Dave.

People are stupid.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I correct people the first couple of times, but if they continue to call me by the wrong name, I just ignore it. My name is constantly being said wrong so after a few times, I just let it go. It is annoying though, especially when you have corrected them several times.
  • elliemay63
    elliemay63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My name has been confused with everything from Shelley - Kelly - Nellie, Ellen and even Edith one time!
    I correct if there is a chance I will ever see this person again. If I meet them again, I make sure to correct them, and just laugh it off.
    But because of this, I do my very best to get other people's name correct!!
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    My name is Rosanne.....people (not friends...but aquaintances) always call me Roxanne. I never correct them...just go with it.
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I have to deal with this constantly. Jesse is apparently a confusing name, in that everyone spells it like I am a girl...every time. There is no 'i' in my name, anywhere. Really irritates me. Then I get people that call me Jeffy, as well. I correct anyone I have to deal with, because if I don't the constant reminder that they can't make simple corrections makes me not want to deal with them.

My husbands name is Jesse and people forever spell it Jessie, and an old man at our local gas station calls him Jeffrey...ugh
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Maybe start wearing a name tag with the actual spelling and phonetic spelling? He might get the picture then. Or, if you have a friend at work, see if you can meet and walk in together. When he says your name wrong, the friend could say "I thought you pronounced it: (insert correct pronunciation). You could also start saying his name incorrectly and see if he gets the hint ;-)

As I'd probably not actually be brave enough to do any of the above, I'd probably just let it be if it were me.

Good luck!
    Jen
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My daughters name is Sydney.
    She will introduce herself (she is 5) and people will call her Cindy.
    She will correct them.
    "No.. It's SYD-NEE!!!"

If she can do it, so can you :)

My daughter is Sadie (Say-Dee) and she gets Cindy and Sandy ALL, THE. TIME. but she's super shy and quietly corrects people but they NEVER hear her. Poor kid.
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    People screw up my name all the time.

Unless it's someone I have to deal with consistently, I don't bother correcting them.
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    m y first name is Stephane....

guess how many call me Steven, Steffen, or whatever... and that is when I am lucky that they see me as being a man....
    People that don;t know me, call me Stephanie and are definitely expecting a girl... help me cream out the telemarketers....
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    When I was dating my husband, he used to correct everyone when they mispronounced his last name. I remember thinking "is it really that big a deal?" Now that we're married, it TOTALLY is and I do it constantly. It sounds EXACTLY like it's spelled people!

The only time I don't correct someone is when it's someone I obviously don't know, like a telemarketer. I tell them they have the wrong number. If you can't pronounce my name, I don't want or need to talk to you :laugh:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    My name is Lauren, pronounced Laur-REN..

I get Lorraine, Lorne, Lorna, Lori, Laurel, Lynn, Laureen...

the possibilities people come up with are endless....

I've learned to correct them twice, and then if they can't pay attention I leave it alone....then again, my name is unique enough that if they call me something else to someone and THAT person corrects them is usually how it's fixed in the end.

I don't mind, it is what it is...but as a result I, myself, tend to be more sensitive to other people names and spelling.

Lauren
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Telling someone how to say your name properly is perfectly fine... but telling them to roll the r's or say silent X's as Y's and twist their tongue backwards or pucker their lips or speak from the throat while holding your breathe at the end, etc..... then I would say no, don't do that.
  • cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    Unless they are writing me a cheque I let them be wrong. =D

Doesn't matter to me, unless it is official. I have friends of so many nationalities, I have been called versions of my name pronunciation-wise that it no longer phases me. If its close, or respectful, I answer.
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I get Saundra or Sondra a lot. It's not either of those. It's SAndra! With an A like in HAT. Also, Sandy? Who said you could call me Sandy when I clearly introduced myself and GO BY Sandra? Very annoying. I don't correct people, though. I just let it go.