• rachellem86
    rachellem86 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Curling in the squat rack
    Dips in the squat rack
    Military presses in the squat rack
    Talking in the squat rack

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There are only 2 squat racks in my gym, and people look at me funny when I ask if I can squat when they are doing any of the above, which they can do ANYWHERE else!
  • csmith091
    csmith091 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    At the gym I used to go to, this guy would speak to himself out loud. I knew he was encouraging himself ("come on, Tiger, you can do this.") But, it was just really weird, and made me unbelievably uncomfortable. I usually try to be patient because I know the gym is supposed to be a place to focus on yourself and not others, but I think people should also be considerate of those around them.
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Dips in the squat rack

All the 17-19 yr olds in my gym are like this... they cant even do a full motion rep either... they lift heavy but not correctly! then they strut around like they are best thing since sliced bread...

They come in massive groups and take over the whole gym with their antics and constant talking.. Its a good 20 minute rest between reps.. its annoying!

THIS^^^
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    people with horrible breath that keep trying to talk to you while you are doing cardio. Im not here to chat with you and my one word gasped answers should be your clue. and when I used to go to shapes and the people who worked there were constantly eating doritos, mcdonalds and cake when they sauntered around as well as behind the desk. Its the reason I never went back...
  • mandie0378
    mandie0378 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a membership that allows me to go to 5 different locations.

What confuses and annoys me is the gym where I signed up is in a nicer part of town and the employees are absolute sweethearts. The fellow gym goers, however, are rude, camp on machines, make messes in the locker room and don't wipe down the machines. While the gym closest to my home has some of the rudest employees, but incredible nice gym goers.
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    Seriously, there are a lot of haters in here who need to chill out. I can understand some of the things people are raising (from a courtesy point of view), but to be honest, if you have the energy and time to notice half this stuff then you're not working hard enough!!!

As for the grunting & sweating, that part and parcel with pushing your physical boundaries............ if you are not sweating & grunting then again, you're not working hard enough.

Chill out people.

Agreed...alot of these people are coming across as high-strung and conceited. Sometimes I watch people as a way to learn how to use a machine. Or I see a girl in great shape and I use her treadmill speed as a goal.
  • djf23
    djf23 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    on mondays and wednesdays the gym is the fullest, i go at 7.30 in the night

every time there will be like 80% people doing there own thing and working out properly and minding own business

but then there all ways the groups of guys about my age and they will take over like a piece of equipment and then ****ign talk for like an hour and itll be like one guy doing a half *kitten* workout then the others just standing around talkign and like staring at people .... always got this smug look on there face

one day i will throw a big dumbell at one of there heads....startt a gym brawl
  • Jstewartdesigns
    Jstewartdesigns Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't typically get annoyed by others actions and I 'm a people watcher wherever I go, however, at one point I was working on some of the leg machines and a "couple" was in the vicinity and they would touch each other and kiss occasionally. This was a female couple. I did have to ask myself if I would be "as annoyed" if it was a hetero couple. I think I would be because the gym is not a place for that kind of activity.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    the only thing that bothers me is overbearing perfume. its always older women.
  • steplaj
    steplaj Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I work out a lot...usually about 5 times a week. I am over weight, and I sweat...a lot...but I kick my own butt as hard as I can on a daily basis.

There are two women around my age at the gym. They are over weight themselves, but who am I to judge? I was on the treadmill one day, and noticed they walked in with starbucks frozen coffees and went and sat on the bikes. As the sipped on their frozen coffees, they sat and made fun of people in the gym. They made comments about how people looked and how much they were sweating. As they sat there, makeup on...hair done, barely moving and drinking their iced coffees, they had the nerve to make fun of other people in the gym! And let me remind you, they were not skinny by any means!!!

Isn't the whole point of the gym to work out? I don't know why I care, but I hate it when people judge others because of their weight. I hate it even more when it is one heavy person doing it to another. And then on top of that, to make fun of them for trying to improve themselves???? I would love to say a few choice words to these women!

On another note..I get really annoyed when people sit on the benches and machines and talk on their phones, while everyone else is waiting to use them!!! Gym manners people haha!
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I get very annoyed when someone tries to strike up a converstion while I'm in the middle of a set! Those freakin headphones are on for a reason!!
  • steplaj
    Options
    This is just plain old Ignorance! Don't let them get to you. I am positive if they heard someone comment about them, they would be all bent. Just remember, your better than they are.

(Referring to the quote above about the two girls with the coffee's)
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Funny stuff in the showers. And I don't mean funny "ha ha."
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    women that come to the gym with no make up,hair a mess,and any old ratty tee shirt its like OMG ewwww

That's kinda funny to me because so many people complain about the hair did and makeup on but you hate when people are not presentable! :laugh:

I admit, I am one of those people. I'm there to work out and get fit, I couldn't give a rat's tush if I look good to anyone. And no offense, but I refuse to apologize for that!

My peeve is gym-specific. At my gym we have a cardio cinema where you can watch movies while doing cardio...they usually show pretty good movies too! The other day two younger girls came in and start yap yap yapping away!! I almost pushed them off their bikes...there were plenty of bikes open in the main cardio area!!! I try not to judge people for not working out...if they want to pay a ton of money a month to work out their mouths that's their business....but I couldn't help but notice these same girls just moseying along around the gym before parking at the top of the stairwall and yapping some more. :explode:
  • ChadWGreen
    ChadWGreen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Dips in the squat rack

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There are only 2 squat racks in my gym, and people look at me funny when I ask if I can squat when they are doing any of the above, which they can do ANYWHERE else!

Add Deadlifts in the Rack to the list
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    We have a studio at our gym that people use for stretching, skipping etc. It is also where a lot of equipment such as balance balls, and bosu balls are kept. After college let out this year in early May, there were a couple of girls who were clearly in the gym to work on their summer beach bods who would take over the studio by closing the door and cranking their dance music. You felt like an intruder in your own gym if you went in there to get something (or heaven forbid wanted to actually use the studio) but fortunately they didn't stick it out and I haven't seen them in recent weeks.

At the risk of starting something up, I have to say that it is almost always the college and high school kids at our gym who have the poor gym manners (hogging 4 sets of dumbells, etc.). Some of the kids are great (usually the football and rugby players who know what they are doing) but they are the exception.
  • higgins1988
    higgins1988 Posts: 38
    Options
    I don't generally get too annoyed in the Gym, but excercise classes are a different story!!!

1) There is always some woman that will come and stand RIGHT next to me even though there's tons of space left in the room - if you want the best spot, get there early cause i aint movin!!
    2) Groups of girls that come together and just chat and laugh across me
    3) Young girls that come together and just take the mickey out of everyone trying hard
    4) Some women actually answer their phones during class and have a conversation while we all carry on - bizarre?!

rant over :D
  • crane50
    crane50 Posts: 2
    Options
    "Annoy" is probably too strong of a word, perhaps "bewildered" is better: it bewilders me when people bring their bags (usually their big purses) into the gym with them and set it next to their cardio machine of choice, or cart it around the weight floor with them. It's like, do they not trust the lockers in the gym?

I just don't get it.

The lockers at my gym have been broken into in the past. They've even taken car keys out of lockers and then look for valuables in the person's car too. My gym is in an upscale part of town where you wouldn't expect such things.

If I brought something valuable with me, I would cart it around too.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I don't generally get too annoyed in the Gym, but excercise classes are a different story!!!

1) There is always some woman that will come and stand RIGHT next to me even though there's tons of space left in the room - if you want the best spot, get there early cause i aint movin!!
    2) Groups of girls that come together and just chat and laugh across me
    3) Young girls that come together and just take the mickey out of everyone trying hard
    4) Some women actually answer their phones during class and have a conversation while we all carry on - bizarre?!

rant over :D

the first part of this---SO true! particularly in Zumba. I get into it....if you come stand 6 inches away from me and i pop you in the face...your fault.
  • steplaj
    Options
    One really big thing is the "not wiping down the machines"... My gym has a policy and has spray bottles and paper towels "everywhere". I wipe down my machines after I use them EVERY TIME! But I constantly see people using the machines and NOT wiping them down. Last night there was one guy who was soaked in sweat from his workout and he did not wipe down one machine. Do people not understand this is how MRSA and other s^$t spreads in gyms.