The poisonous oil, you must not eat

Options

Replies

• callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Without Canola oil, I have no tortillas.

Without tortillas, I am not happy.

I will continue to be happy, with tortillas and canola oil.

Yes, the Mexicans have been cooking their tortillas in CANOLA oil for thousands of years... smh
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    The problem is, canola oil goes through more primping and processing than a dog at a Kennel Club show. It gets a lot of attention from doctors as a “heart healthy” oil rich in omega-3s, but the fact that canola processing generally uses upwards of 500 degrees means a good portion of the Omega-3s could be rancid on the shelf.

Conclusion: why bother with something so processed and potentially unhealthy when there are umpteen other, better options out there? Olive oil, coconut, palm oil, lard and ghee are suitable for most cooking applications.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    Meh. Its not like we actually drink the stuff. There are so many more toxic things out there. I'll stick with cooking with my canola oil, thanks.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    YOu have to read the article all the way through. The first part is the scare email, and the debunking is below.

I grew up on the prairies where rape was a popular crop, and I'm in my 60ies now, so it is not new. It was renamed canola because rape isn't a pretty name about 20 years ago. It has been a common cooking oil all along.

HOWEVER, canola is now, along with corn, the most genetically modified crop out there. Mosanto has bread a version that is resistant to round-up so that fields can be heavily sprayed with insecticide to kill everything else that grows off so as to facilitate mono-culture. The problem is that the pollen doesn't respect field boundaries and has gone on to polinate plants that were not gentically modified. Mosanto has successfully sued farmers for keeping seed to replant the following year, because Mosanto won't allow farmers to keep seed, but obligates them to buy them from the company each year.

And of course agribusiness is supported by government in the Americas. In Europe, the Europeans have refused to genetically modify their crops, and have stringent rules banning importation so that their crops don't get contaminated.

If you eat something genetically modified, you are eating something that is untested for human health. Some people react to this by not eating canola oil or anything derived from corn.

Just a point of fact. Insecticides kill insects, thus the name. Perhaps you meant herbicides? Kind of important difference there ya know.

Just saying...
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Just cook your food in 10W40 and you'll be fine.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Just cook your food in 10W40 and you'll be fine.

Too many calories, gotta go with a lighter version like 5W30.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I like how the sister stopped consuming canola because when she spilled some on her clothes, it left a stain she couldn't wash out so it must be bad......:laugh:

Oh noes, I better stop eating cherries and raspberries!

Yes you should! Do you know how much sugar is in cherries and raspberries?! You should, however, eat more Swedish Fish.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Mamma says Canola Oil's the DEVIL!

1z5kw9t.jpg
  • Jrpteach
    Options
    people can say it's safe all they want, but we have proven again and again that both my husband and his brother are allergic to/or react to this oil with horrible diarrhea within 12 hours of consuming the food item . I even 'tested' it out on my hubby to make sure it wasn't 'in his head' and sure enough, he got sick after eating something with canola oil in it that he would have never expected to contain it. I'm not saying it bothers everyone, but if you are having digestive problems and can't figure out why try avoiding foods with canola oil in them for awhile and see if it helps. It doesn't bother me, but I'm avoiding it too--not sure I want something in my body that has that kind of effect on anyone!!
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    That article is offensive to my biology degree

And to my chemistry degree and my nutrition degree!

The biology degree I will receive in two days is also very offended.

My Music Technology Masters doesn't give a toss :laugh:
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    people can say it's safe all they want, but we have proven again and again that both my husband and his brother are allergic to/or react to this oil with horrible diarrhea within 12 hours of consuming the food item . I even 'tested' it out on my hubby to make sure it wasn't 'in his head' and sure enough, he got sick after eating something with canola oil in it that he would have never expected to contain it. I'm not saying it bothers everyone, but if you are having digestive problems and can't figure out why try avoiding foods with canola oil in them for awhile and see if it helps. It doesn't bother me, but I'm avoiding it too--not sure I want something in my body that has that kind of effect on anyone!!

So you don't eat any tree nuts, seeds, peanuts, any grains containing gluten, dairy, soya, egg, seafood, shelfish, various fruits and vegetables ... actually what do you eat?
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I like the way you think!

• SandiNature
    Options
    The facts are when you heat most any oil, it changes the chemical make up making it toxic to the human body. Organic unprocessed coconut oil (not heated, bleached or refined which removes the benefits). Heating will not change the chemical make up. Palm oil is okay too. EVO Oil is okay if it is not heat (i.e., use on salads).

It's the vegetable oils that are murder. read this: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/06/28/vegetable-oils.aspx

Another wrote of the GMO. All corn oil and (I think) other vegetable oils are GMO. Keep away if you can.
    Make it a great day.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Quoted for the massive and epic truth.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    The facts are when you heat most any oil, it changes the chemical make up making it toxic to the human body. Organic unprocessed coconut oil (not heated, bleached or refined which removes the benefits). Heating will not change the chemical make up. Palm oil is okay too. EVO Oil is okay if it is not heat (i.e., use on salads).

It's the vegetable oils that are murder. read this: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/06/28/vegetable-oils.aspx

Another wrote of the GMO. All corn oil and (I think) other vegetable oils are GMO. Keep away if you can.
    Make it a great day.
    Mercola is a bigger quack than Dr Oz.

blackadder_headdesk.gif
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options

that was kinda mean, but funny. Next time try visine in his water. It has the same effect.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Did you even notice that you were responding to a thread that was from last May?

Furthermore, that is a silly stance to take. Because some people you know have bad reactions to canola oil, therefore you won't eat it? What about the people who are allergic to peanuts and will die if they ingest them? Do you then avoid peanuts? What about people who are allergic to lactose, do you therefore avoid all dairy?

If you avoided all foods that cause SOME people issues, you would die of starvation.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

Congratulations! Got any plans for that shiny new degree?

And yes, my biology, chemistry, and medical degrees are offended as well. Wonder if all these offended degrees will start a petition or something? ;-)

So why are all these degrees offended?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Two first posts (full of dipsh!ttery) from new people on a 7 month old thread?

There may be shenanigans afoot.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Congratulations! Got any plans for that shiny new degree?

And yes, my biology, chemistry, and medical degrees are offended as well. Wonder if all these offended degrees will start a petition or something? ;-)

So why are all these degrees offended?

They aren't. They were back in May but they've gotten over it by now.