Visualize This

Options

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    marianne - what kind of dog do you have?
    I just started enjoying walking my dog. I have a puller, but I finally bought a harness for him and now, wow... pure pleasure to go for a walk - even with the double stroller :happy:

I have a boxer/pit and he's also a puller, a major one at that no kidding i feel like my arm will pop out sometimes. he has a collar and a harness and when we go on walks i have the retractable leash attached to him. at first he goes nuts but when he gets really tired he calms down alot. i know i have to train him but i dont have the patience and the money for training school. How old is yours? mines just turned 2.
    Mine (Jake) is 4. I got him when I was 6 months pregnant with my first. I had grand ambitions of walking him everyday - LOL... then toward my 8th month of pregnancy, in the dead of winter he pulled me so hard I fell on my belly.
    This past summer we walked 2 miles almost every day, he pulled and pulled and I have tendonitis in my elbow and would be in pain after the walk. My husband's work schedule changed a little this fall and he started traveling a lot so most of September I was off my exercise wagon. Anyway, long story short - I knew about the gentle leader but Jake could get out of that with a shake of his head. Cesar Milan recommended a harness for another puller - I decided to try it and WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Night and Day. Even my husband who is 6'1" and 230 pounds wasn't getting tugged all over the road.

BTW - King is a cutie!!

Oh my goodness i can't believe you fell on your belly!? thank god your baby is ok? yea the harness does no good for me i spoil him to much i guess. now that i think about it i think i have tendonitis..what are your symptoms of such...wow..2 miles good job..you shoud continue with that. i dont even know how far we walk i just know how long...i think its about 2 miles but im afraid to walk him too long he always looks like he'll dehydrate of something. anyway thanks for the compliment on my kingston :tongue:

Well, I'll never know if my first was a breach baby as a result of my fall... And as much as I'd love to continue 2 mile walks with Jakerz, with winter approaching and the sub-zero temperature, I think a quick 10-15 minute walk will prevail! On the treadmill for me!
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This is about the most simple recipe I know, but I love it. Not sure how many kids would like it... I know my 13 yr old sister did. It’s great because you can add other spices or change it up per your individual tastes really easily, but I happen to like it just like this (it’s good with couscous and salad).
    Recipe - Lemon & Garlic Tilapia (for a single serving)

Ingredients:
    Tilapia (4 oz.) – about 2 fillets (I use Kroger Tilapia Fillets that are individually wrapped and packaged about 6 to a bag - in the packaged frozen seafood section of the grocery store)
    1 lemon
    3 cloves of garlic

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 425.
    Take a pan with edges and place a sheet of foil down (enough that you can put the fish on it and wrap the edges up around the fish to cover it). Crush up the fresh garlic and place it on the foil. Put the frozen tilapia on top of the garlic. Squeeze the lemon over the fish. (I try to pick out the seeds as they fall, since they’re not too pleasant to bite into). Wrap the foil so that the fish is contained in the foil. Bake 12-14 minutes (9-11 if the fish was already thawed), until the fish flakes off with a fork. Usually I'll uncover the fish and let it bake for an extra 2 minutes.

When it's done, I usually leave most of the garlic in the pan and eat just the fish, but I know some people really like garlic - just count the calories!!

Here is the nutrition info, based on the assumption that I’m eating 4 oz of fish, 1/2 of a lemon yield of juice and 1 clove of garlic. (I know I use a whole lemon and 3 cloves, but a lot of that stays in the pan when I’m done cooking.)

Calories: 110
    Carbs: 3g
    Fat: 1g
    Protein: 23g
    Fiber: 1g
    Sugar:1g
    Potassium: 41
    Iron: 6
    Cholesterol: 50
    Sodium: 181

You just made me crave fish. Guess what I am having for dinner tonight? That's right. Fish. Mmmmm.

Worked out this morning. I actually took a day off yesterday and it was AWESOME. My body loves me for it I am pretty sure. And even though it wasn't as intense of a workout today for me. My skin and my body just feel amazing! I am even seeing my upper arms begin to get toned. (I was only ever able to do this when I was doing kick boxing or when I would work at summer camps on the ropes courses over the summer).

Hope everyone else is having a fab day!

-Becca
  • outdoormom09
    Options
    OMG I fell off the wagon for the first time in 3 weeks! Had about 10 chocolate chip cookies and 2 pieces of pizza...:sad:

I felt like an addict getting a fix... it was crazy - started and couldn't stop!

weighed this morning and lost a pound. MY FIRST POUND! :laugh:

Wow.... OK... I'm back on it today!
  • outdoormom09
    Options
    Yummy.. boy that sounds good! Thanks for sharling... Arienna
  • amym1
    amym1 Posts: 13
    Options
    Outdoormom, don't worry about one fall. Just get right back on (like they say about riding a horse). Sometimes the days I think I blew it end up not being so bad when I put them into the context of an entire week of otherwise healthy eating.

I'll try to remember to post my recipe tomorrow. I rarely make anything that takes more than 15-20 minutes to make, hence a lot of lean cuisine, but I do have some healthy recipes and this will hopefully get me to start eating real food again and not rely so much on the convenience foods which are probably not too healthy in the long run.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Amy
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I can admit for my first day I didnt do so well...I should have exercised a lil more at the gym today...I should have stayed that extra 30 mins...I wasnt prepared and didnt plan my meals as well as I should have...tommorow morning I have to go on the scale and realistically weigh myself...since I didnt get on it this morning....one of those downer type of ways...goodnight

Welcome!! Don't be down about your first day, remember ANYTHING you do is better than nothing and you can't just drastically change everything or you have less chances of sticking with it! We will all get there! :flowerforyou:

To everyone else! I am going to be starting this "Couch to 5k Running Program" tomorrow and wondered if anyone else wanted to join in? Here is a link http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml the plan looks VERY doable and perfect for me b/c I want to get into running.

Outdoormom, everyone slips up once in a while, the important thing is not to beat yourself up over it and just keep going in the right direction!

My day is going ok today, I did have a slice of pizza for lunch...but I am not going to dwell on it and just try and hold back from now on. I am going to start kicking it up a notch with exercise tomorrow, I cannot wait! I can't wait to see myself a year from now! My first major goal is to lose 100 lbs by my birthday in 2008 which is (Oct 25). I think that's doable in 12 months. Here's a recipe for what I'm making for dinner tonight! I will be having this then a salad made with romaine and spinach leaves with tomatoes and cucumbers on the side with a red wine vinegarette dressing.

Gaucho Casserole

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 med onion, chopped
    1 small green pepper, chopped
    1 16 oz can Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
    1 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
    1 8 oz can tomato sauce
    1/4 c water
    1 envelope reduced sodium taco seasoning
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (I am adding this, it's not in the original recipe)
    1 1/3 cups uncooked instant rice (I am using brown)
    1 cup reduced fat, shredded mexican blend chesse

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees
    2) Crumble the beef into a pre heated skillet with onion and green pepper, cook until all beef is browned, drain
    3) Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, taco seasoning and chili powder until boiling, add in rice and simmer for 12-15 min or until rice is cooked
    4) Transfer to a greased casserole dish and sprinkle with cheese, cook for 10-15 min or until cheese is melted

Nutrition Info:

Serving size 1 cup
    Calories 304
    Fat 9g
    Sat fat 4 g
    Cholesterol 31 mg
    sodium 670 mg (can be reduced using no sodium added tomato products)
    Cabs 49 g
    Fiber 7 g
    Protein 22g
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Some of these recipes sound delicious....especially the greek chicken...i am always looking for new chicken recipes

I have 1 more party out of 3 this week and I have definately not been stellar...goal is just not to gain any weight and continue to workout...watch the sodium

Monday rolls around fast....ugh

Kim
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have a WHOLE weekend to myself, without my husband, without my kids. I'm going to a 5 star spa (www.stoweflake.com) and getting 2 treatments done. I have FULL access to their fitness facilities and I plan on using them!

Gaucho Casserole sounds great - as does the chicken.

Any good pork recipes?
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I like the buffalo chicken wraps...lettuce, tomato, 1/2 c. chicken, 1/4 c. low-fat cheddar, 1/2 T of Ranch, 1/2 T of Buffalo Wing Sauce with La Torilla Soft Wrap (13 g of fiber)....fills you up

This sounds really good! I am a big fan of buffalo sauce - and cheese - and lettuce. Top that with ranch and a tortilla - I'm in heaven.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I don't really have recipes, but just make what I know.

Usually when I try recipes they end up not being so good.

If I come across something I will def. post it, otherwise all your recipes sound good. Just wish I could make them and have them be good.

As for me - I've been very tired and stressed lately. While it helps me eat better because I don't snack as much when I'm stressed, I also am tired and not exercising much. I think I'm holding steady on the weight, but could be doing much better.

I hope to do the elliptical tonight, but bed usually calls my name louder. We'll see.
  • Arienna
    Options
    I like the buffalo chicken wraps...lettuce, tomato, 1/2 c. chicken, 1/4 c. low-fat cheddar, 1/2 T of Ranch, 1/2 T of Buffalo Wing Sauce with La Torilla Soft Wrap (13 g of fiber)....fills you up

This sounds really good! I am a big fan of buffalo sauce - and cheese - and lettuce. Top that with ranch and a tortilla - I'm in heaven.

That does sound very good! Will have to give it a try myself!
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I can admit for my first day I didnt do so well...I should have exercised a lil more at the gym today...I should have stayed that extra 30 mins...I wasnt prepared and didnt plan my meals as well as I should have...tommorow morning I have to go on the scale and realistically weigh myself...since I didnt get on it this morning....one of those downer type of ways...goodnight

Welcome!! Don't be down about your first day, remember ANYTHING you do is better than nothing and you can't just drastically change everything or you have less chances of sticking with it! We will all get there! :flowerforyou:

To everyone else! I am going to be starting this "Couch to 5k Running Program" tomorrow and wondered if anyone else wanted to join in? Here is a link http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml the plan looks VERY doable and perfect for me b/c I want to get into running.

Outdoormom, everyone slips up once in a while, the important thing is not to beat yourself up over it and just keep going in the right direction!

My day is going ok today, I did have a slice of pizza for lunch...but I am not going to dwell on it and just try and hold back from now on. I am going to start kicking it up a notch with exercise tomorrow, I cannot wait! I can't wait to see myself a year from now! My first major goal is to lose 100 lbs by my birthday in 2008 which is (Oct 25). I think that's doable in 12 months. Here's a recipe for what I'm making for dinner tonight! I will be having this then a salad made with romaine and spinach leaves with tomatoes and cucumbers on the side with a red wine vinegarette dressing.

Gaucho Casserole

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 med onion, chopped
    1 small green pepper, chopped
    1 16 oz can Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
    1 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
    1 8 oz can tomato sauce
    1/4 c water
    1 envelope reduced sodium taco seasoning
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (I am adding this, it's not in the original recipe)
    1 1/3 cups uncooked instant rice (I am using brown)
    1 cup reduced fat, shredded mexican blend chesse

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees
    2) Crumble the beef into a pre heated skillet with onion and green pepper, cook until all beef is browned, drain
    3) Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, taco seasoning and chili powder until boiling, add in rice and simmer for 12-15 min or until rice is cooked
    4) Transfer to a greased casserole dish and sprinkle with cheese, cook for 10-15 min or until cheese is melted

Nutrition Info:

Serving size 1 cup
    Calories 304
    Fat 9g
    Sat fat 4 g
    Cholesterol 31 mg
    sodium 670 mg (can be reduced using no sodium added tomato products)
    Cabs 49 g
    Fiber 7 g
    Protein 22g

I tried the couch to 5k for a week. I am just not at that endurance level. Since I just quit smoking, and I live in the Mountains where the air kills my asthma, I just realized I didn't like it. So I am going to work out at the gym more... I did a 20 min mile on this arc trainer thing. Which isn't so bad because its like wicked power walking. Which really isnt that bad, given when I was in high school I did 12 min miles running. HOWEVER, i was noticing today that my arms are kind of toning, AND I am able to lift heavier weights. My legs are getting stronger, as are the muscles I use, so THAT is awesome. I have never had any upper body strength... or like, enough, so I am REALLY working my triceps, and my thighs. I have heard you can't really spot work, but that you lose it from the top down, gain from the bottom up. I don't know if that is true. But the little things are great. Also-- just adding some nuts to my diet, or even some banana chips (which are possibly unhealthy but are a nice snack in moderation) really helps meet or even go over my 1200 goal. Trying to keep it between 1200 and 1500 a day, so that if with exercise I burn 500 cals, I am not THAT much under 1200.

Anyway, congrats on the couch to 5 k. I think I am the only person in the world who really doesn't like it.
  • Giggles27
    Giggles27 Posts: 139
    Options
    I would love to do the couch to 5K...but am I the only person that thinks its freezing out right now!!!! I will stick to my gym for now...I did a 5K in May...I actually walked 3 times a week for 3-5 miles a day...but I lost that when i moved...I need to make some walking buddies in this hometown of mine...no fun walking alone.

Also I love this website...the recipes...and all the discussion...I also added my "before before" pics to my profile...
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I have a WHOLE weekend to myself, without my husband, without my kids. I'm going to a 5 star spa (www.stoweflake.com) and getting 2 treatments done. I have FULL access to their fitness facilities and I plan on using them!

Gaucho Casserole sounds great - as does the chicken.

Any good pork recipes?

Here's a rather simple and delicious pork recipe. It's also good when you substitute chcken breast.

1# pork loin chops bone-in (4-4oz.)
    2 cups prepared brown rice
    1 can low-sodium cream of mushroom soup (condenced)
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1 t salt
    fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
    1 T Olive Oil

1) Salt and pepper the chops and brown in a pan in the olive oil.
    2) Mix the soup and milk til smooth and add to the rice.
    3) Put rice in 9x13 casserole dish.
    4) Top with chops and cover with tin foil.
    5) Bak at 375 for about 25-30 minutes until chops are done.

Serves 4 (1 chop and half cup rice)

This pretty much the base of the recipe, I change it up all the time, sometimes add garlic powder and other seasonings, vegetables like peas or green beans right to the rice. Enjoy!

Calories: 330.25
    Carbs: 24.75
    Fat: 12.25
    Protein: 29.25
    Sodium: 867.25
  • sharimarie
    sharimarie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think I need to leave this website up all day as a reminder to LOG IN! I have had a real hard time staying focused. I have so much going on! I don't know which end is up anymore! I hope I am still okay to stay joined to this group. I am hoping to have a productive weekend so that I am more in focus next week!
  • Arienna
    Options
    I would love to do the couch to 5K...but am I the only person that thinks its freezing out right now!!!! I will stick to my gym for now...I did a 5K in May...I actually walked 3 times a week for 3-5 miles a day...but I lost that when i moved...I need to make some walking buddies in this hometown of mine...no fun walking alone.

Also I love this website...the recipes...and all the discussion...I also added my "before before" pics to my profile...

It is sooo cold here in Northern Michigan!!!!! I am not looking forward to being out in the cold but I want to do this before there are 3 feet of snow on the ground ;) haha I will not be motivated to START running in the snow, however I might be more motivated to continue doing it.
  • maddmaddmama
    maddmaddmama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    marianne - what kind of dog do you have?
    I just started enjoying walking my dog. I have a puller, but I finally bought a harness for him and now, wow... pure pleasure to go for a walk - even with the double stroller :happy:

I have a boxer/pit and he's also a puller, a major one at that no kidding i feel like my arm will pop out sometimes. he has a collar and a harness and when we go on walks i have the retractable leash attached to him. at first he goes nuts but when he gets really tired he calms down alot. i know i have to train him but i dont have the patience and the money for training school. How old is yours? mines just turned 2.
    Mine (Jake) is 4. I got him when I was 6 months pregnant with my first. I had grand ambitions of walking him everyday - LOL... then toward my 8th month of pregnancy, in the dead of winter he pulled me so hard I fell on my belly.
    This past summer we walked 2 miles almost every day, he pulled and pulled and I have tendonitis in my elbow and would be in pain after the walk. My husband's work schedule changed a little this fall and he started traveling a lot so most of September I was off my exercise wagon. Anyway, long story short - I knew about the gentle leader but Jake could get out of that with a shake of his head. Cesar Milan recommended a harness for another puller - I decided to try it and WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Night and Day. Even my husband who is 6'1" and 230 pounds wasn't getting tugged all over the road.

BTW - King is a cutie!!

Oh my goodness i can't believe you fell on your belly!? thank god your baby is ok? yea the harness does no good for me i spoil him to much i guess. now that i think about it i think i have tendonitis..what are your symptoms of such...wow..2 miles good job..you shoud continue with that. i dont even know how far we walk i just know how long...i think its about 2 miles but im afraid to walk him too long he always looks like he'll dehydrate of something. anyway thanks for the compliment on my kingston :tongue:

Well, I'll never know if my first was a breach baby as a result of my fall... And as much as I'd love to continue 2 mile walks with Jakerz, with winter approaching and the sub-zero temperature, I think a quick 10-15 minute walk will prevail! On the treadmill for me!

im sorry about your first baby. the treadmil will do, anything will do right now lol im so jealous of all you guys in freezing weather the lowest it's been here is 72 degrees...im so tired of being so hot..but recently it's been 90 degrees all the time but at night its about 75...:mad: i just wanna sit in a freezer if only i could fit in it lol
  • maddmaddmama
    maddmaddmama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i failed today!!! i ate 2 tea cookies, had soda, ate at a japanese restaurant and had sour punch at the movies i also had a venti coffee with hazelnut creamer!!! omg:explode: i also havent been working out lately...i wish i had all you guys to pull me out of bed and workout...:sad:
  • jeanniedreambtl
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!!!

Wow, what great recipes Ive read, and ya'll are doing great. Anyone that's kinda fell off the wagon- dont focus on it. Just be done and move on, trust me, the more you dwell on it the more power you give it, hence you'll never succeed. I dont know if ya'll have seen the movie, "The Secret", but it's awesome. Teaches you to focus on the things that make you happy and feel good, which will in turn attract it to you.

So I have to admit, I havent been exercising in 2 days because of the nonstop rain here in TN. It's been raining for almost 2 weeks, blah! And Ive eaten some junk. But thats ok, I'm going to get back on track tomorrow. I just know THE KEY is DONT GIVE UP.

I went to a health fair today with my BFF. It was great. They tested my blood pressure, glucose, adn cholesterol. Also gave me an oral exam, allergy test, and alot of info packets. I'm amazed at the exercise pamphlets reading them and seeing that I have been doing alot of what they say.

3 main things to include in your workouts are: Cardio, Strength training, and (dont forget) Stretching.

Sorry ya'll I dont have any recipe to post at this time, but will as soon as I get a good one. I do enjoy eating tuna and wheat crackers, turkey whole grain wraps,

Welp, everyone have a fabulous night!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Arienna
    Options
    i failed today!!! i ate 2 tea cookies, had soda, ate at a japanese restaurant and had sour punch at the movies i also had a venti coffee with hazelnut creamer!!! omg:explode: i also havent been working out lately...i wish i had all you guys to pull me out of bed and workout...:sad:

Don't worry about it! It's a new day! Don't beat yourself up just do better today :smile: