Quinoa: Love it, like it, hate it, never tried it?

Options

Replies

• sdalhover
    sdalhover Posts: 7
    Options
    My grandma makes a salad with quinoa, avocado, tomato, lime, olive oil, and parsley that is to die for. So healthy too!

Yum, that sounds great.

Costco has it lately. A huge bag for $10ish? It's a LOT. You can buy it in the bulk bins at stores like Sprouts, too. That's a good way to try it, if you're not sure if you'll like it. The calories are high-ish like most grains but it's so good for you and filling.

And if you are busy Costco also carries the brand Seeds of Change Brown Rice & Quinoa blend in a bag. 90 seconds in the microwave and you are good to go.
  • la_nanita
    la_nanita Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    i have a bag of quinoa that has been sitting in my pantry for a few months. I really want an alternative to rice, but i am wondering if it is still good.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    love it. i prepare it with water, minced garlic & onions.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    i have a bag of quinoa that has been sitting in my pantry for a few months. I really want an alternative to rice, but i am wondering if it is still good.
    Only one way to find out. It should be fine though.
  • musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I love it!! I eat it almost everyday. I use it with my salads, soups, and even had it as a breakfast cereal. I think on of my favorites is a combination of sweet potatoes, black beans, and quinoa.
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    its on my must try list!
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    love quinoa. We just cook it in the rice cooker with chicken broth, just like rice. It is a great replacement for rice. I have also tried quinoa pasta, but wasn't so wild about it.
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I made a Chicken Fried Quinoa (Rice) and Quinoa with chopped grilled veggies

Yeh I found a recipe for Fried Quinoa (Rice) too and it was reeeally good.

Quinoa is so goddam healthy!! It's amazing it's not more well known.

PS It's pronounced KEEN-WAH. Asking for Quinoa (said as spelt) will probably result in some blank stares.
  • kayemme
    Options
    the last couple times I made it, I rinsed it really well, then toasted it before cooking it. OMG.... so yum. tossed with cauliflower & broccoli and topped w/green onions. so very nice!
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options
    the last couple times I made it, I rinsed it really well, then toasted it before cooking it. OMG.... so yum. tossed with cauliflower & broccoli and topped w/green onions. so very nice!

You can toast it first and then rinse it. It's just a little quicker that way. It gets ride of the bitter taste but you don't have to wait for the wet quinoa to dry and get toasted.
  • kayemme
    Options
    ^^ that's a great idea! i'll try that next time! thank you
  • DeadEyedSuburbanite
    DeadEyedSuburbanite Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was really hoping to like this, but even though the flavour is ok I really, really don't like the texture. I can't stand the way it rolls around your mouth; it just feels bizarre.

Is it possible to prepare it in some way to make it better?
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Don't like it at all, have tried it prepared all sorts of ways, however I do love cous cous!
  • Zisaleh
    Zisaleh Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Love it!

With some basil and olive oil! Yum!

Serve with some roasted eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and purple onion splashed with some balsamic vinegar dressing! Wow!!!
  • adamlb
    adamlb Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Love it - sometimes hard to get where I am and not cheap but I just cook it up in a rice cooker, maybe put a little soy sauce on there and it's great!
  • LosingFat4Gd
    Options
    I like it - very filling.
    I made it as a breakfast cereal at wkend - half a mug of quinoa drained. Boil a mug of millk in saucepan & add quinoa - cover for 10 min letting it simmer. Add half tsp of cinnamon & I added 2 tsp of agave nectar. simmer for another 2 mins then add a hanfdul of blueberries, Keeps for 3 days in fridge in a air tight container.

I also eat in it salads,
  • erinw1011
    erinw1011 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Maybe I got bad Quinoa? I cooked it in chicken broth like a friend told me to do and I made a pilaf like the package said. When I put it into my mouth it tasted good but had a horrible after taste! I can't get myself to try it again.

OOPS! YOu need to rinse it very well first or eles you get that.

The kind I got said it's already pre-rinsed so no need to rinse or soak. Maybe if I did anyway it would taste better?
  • la_nanita
    la_nanita Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I had it for the first time last night and I loved it! My bag was still good. :smile: I made a Quinoa Vegetable soup with it.

‎1/2 cup of quinoa, 1 cup of potato, 1 corn on the cob, 1 cup of diced onion, 1 cup of sliced mushrooms, 1 medium yellow squash, 1 cup of diced carrots, 1/2 cup of diced celery, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 can of petit diced tomato, 6 cups of broth or water, 2 tablespoons of ground cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Roast the quinoa in a soup pot until a few of the seeds pop, rinse well and put aside to drain. I used some cheese cloth in my strainer so that all of the seeds would just not go thru. In the same pot heat oil and sautee the onions, celery and salt for 5mins. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the squash and mushrooms. Only add half the water/broth at first and the add the balance when you add the squash if you want it thinner. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15mins. Add the squash and mushrooms and let it simmer for another 25mins.