Sad day.. Putting my dog to sleep

Options

Replies

• drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's the one thing about pet ownership that truly sucks. We just put our 16 year old cat down last Friday. It isn't something I like having to make the decision on, but good for you to not let him suffer. It's the best gift we can give to them when it's time. Just remember all the great times you had these 14 years and know that he had the best life ever!
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    sorry for your loss.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    For those of us who know the pleasure of taking care of our four legged children, we are also acutely aware of the fact that they will one day break our hearts. My thoughts are with you and your family today as you watch your loved one cross the rainbow bridge.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Oh how awful for you and your wife. What a loss. I've been through that and share your pain. You and your wife have each other to share this and get each other through it. It's one of the hardest things we have to do for our pets. But, we are doing it "for" them as hard as that is to believe. I recently put my little cat to sleep. I had her 20 years. I've gone through that with many pets and it doesn't get easier. I'm so sorry my friend.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done,
    For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
    You will be sad I understand,
    But don't let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship must stand the test.
    We have had so many happy years,
    You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go.
    Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
    Only, stay with me till the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.
    Don't grieve that it must be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do;
    We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears

This was a poem that was sent to me when i lost my 10 yr old Chihuahua to Canine Cushing's disease.
    We to had to put her to sleep ...as she had ...had enough , we miss her dearly ...but we Dont miss watching her suffer .
    Hope this helps in your loss ...
  • keden7
    keden7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that:( I will have to put my long time friend down soon too as he has kidney disease and is very old too, but I am as prepared as I can be knowing this. I know it is hard to have to make that decision, but Kevlar has been a good friend to you and needs you to do the right thing by him, even when it's hard. If he is sick and cannot get well, this is the best thing to do for him so he doesn't suffer. Sometimes being a good friend means doing the hardest thing of all. I truly do not believe this is the end of us all though, and with that in mind, you will see him again before you know it in a much better place so try to keep that in mind too! Be good to yourself in the meantime. Caring for and about those around you is the only thing in this world that truly makes sense.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    thats so sad...srry for your loss
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Kevlar has been such a HUGE part of your life for such a long time <3 I am sorry you have to go through this but know that he was no doubt treated like a very special member of the family (evidenced by the munchkins at DD).

Your 11 year old will grieve the loss just like you will but you may grieve differently. Some people need some time between pets to feel like they aren't "replacing" the one they lost. Others do better with having a new pup to keep the house feeling full of life and not so lonely.

Know that Kevlar would want you to be happy, no matter what that means in terms of another pet, and know that he feels loved. <3
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Awwww :( I'm so sorry! It's never easy when you have to put down a pet. But I'm glad you notice he is in pain and it's for the best.
  • PurpleGyrl13
    PurpleGyrl13 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So, so sorry for your loss. I know how tough it is. We had to make the decision a few years ago to put our dog, of 12 years. I was a total wreck at work, so much so they told me to leave early. We both cried for days. The hurt will eventually pass but you will always have the wonderful memories.

It took us about a year and a half to eventually get another dog.

Even though we don't "birth" them, they are our children (especially if you can't have any).

You and your family are in my prayers and just remember, Kevlar is now pain free and is running around playing with all of our beloved pets who have passed on.
  • Harley_Dog
    Harley_Dog Posts: 16
    Options
    Sorry to hear, and I am also dealing with the same thing right now. If they are suffering, we have to help them. My sincere thoughts go out to you and your family,
  • Skyla08
    Skyla08 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I know to well what it is like to put down a dog, and it is extremely difficult. Your wonderful story brought tears to my eyes, as I think about my own two young dogs at home (4 & 2). They are part of the family, and I love them like they are my children. Be thankful for the 14yrs you had him, and know that you are doing the right thing by getting him out of pain.
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm so very sorry. He's been there for you throughout his life and I really feel for you.

You are doing the right thing - you cannot allow him to stay in so much pain.

We have a Westie who will be 14 this year and we are dreading this time.

All my thoughts and positivity to you.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. Your Kevlar sounds wonderful. We had to make that same decision for our dog, Gadget, back in November. It still hurts.

We are so blessed to share our lives with these wonderful creatures who love us, warts and all. Hold your family close. A new puppy is a great thing, but make sure the time is right, don't be afraid to grieve and a puppy is very, very different from a mature dog.

Take care.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Jada and I do the same thing at Dunkin Donuts. :heart:

My heart aches for you and your family. Sending goodness.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Tears over here too for your loss and the loss of all of us who have had to do this for our loving pets. I have had to do it 4 times and it is the hardest time. The last one was my dearest friend Cinder who was 18 yo. She could not get up after laying down and like your dog, was suffering. I did not think I would get another dog and was not looking for one..but...when you least expect it...one will work it's magic on you and you will be able to open your heart again. My friend now is Katie and she is my joy. Her picture is on my profile page with her brother Tucker (she is the little one). Like your pup, she is gentle and loving. I will keep you in my thoughts today. Hoping to cross that Rainbow Bridge too. Boy, it's gonna be crowded on that bridge. Hugs to you and your family.
  • Jessaustx
    Jessaustx Posts: 130
    Options
    Heart breaking. I'm so sorry :( I had to put my dog down last year and it was one of the worst things I've ever done. This makes me want to give you a hug, it seems like you guys have had some great years together though.
    And yes, it's an insanely hard decision but you know when it's time and they know and he doesn't need to be in that pain anymore. x
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm a big animal lover. I couldn't even read through your entire post:cry:

Hugs to you, may your memories comfort you in time:flowerforyou:
  • lilmissmonroe
    Options
    RIP run free at the bridge xxxx
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss man, pets are always family to me and it's just as hard when they leave than when a person leaves imo. Sounds like you are making the right and merciful decision though, take some solace in that.