This is a weight loss board

Options

Replies

• KathieSwenson
    Options
    The ENTIRE site might be a fitness site but this board...is WEIGHTLOSS.

Perhaps its title should be changed to Weightloss and Body compesition Help?

But like I said....I do NOT care to be smaller if my BMI still screams obese. And if BMI doesn't matter tell me why it matters to insurance companies? Because when are you trying to get health insurance, or my case a job, weight on the scale matters.
    Not Body Fat Percentage, not the size of my hips and waiste...BMI.

End rant.

WEll It matters because BMI is Body Mass Index. The less BODY MASS INDEX you have the less BODY FAT YOU have. The less Body Fat you have the leaner and toner you are. HENCE Losing inches. There you go i have now took you down the ladder of why Inches is important so that you dont have to rant over it when people tell you to measure. It is very important. THE reason? A typical BMI for Healthy women weght is around 20. to 25. I have been 170 lbs with a bmi of 30 30 is OBESE, 170 lbs is overweight. You tell me which one IM going to by. They scale says that Im overweight however bmi states i have 30% bmi and that is considred obesed. Im still going to loose to get out of the bmi. TO me that equates to I have to much fat and not enough lean muscle. In that case I would want to loose fat not muscle. the scale is only a measurement along with measuring inches. TO loose weight you must loose inches and weight and trust me they dont always go together.
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Well the truth will set you free. Lol!
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    Unless you are weight training pretty heavily three times a week or more I fail to see how measuring matters either.

Because by taking down the measurements as well as the number on the scale, it is more encouragement.

Hell, I remember only losing 0.4lbs one week, however when I took my measurements, I discovered my waist had lost half an inch, my hips quarter of an inch as well as quarter of an inch off my belly - therefore measurements are important for encouragement and it spurs me on to continue.

I gained a half inch on my hips in a few months but lost it else where so they don't work for me being stuck at a size 2 :grumble:

Your FRUSTRATED over a size 2. OMG I only wish I could be a size 2. REALLY! That acutally frustrates me. TRY size 16 or 18 or 22 Plus.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I see where the OP is coming from. An insurance company that uses BMI as a qualifier does not care how fit or muscular you are, does not care that athletes have high BMI-- if you're over the number, rejected.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt that happens. They know that there are outliers. I doubt that fit (low fat, muscular) athletes are being rejected. I would also imagine that there are additional ways you can show your actual body composition.

Actually that is exactly how it works. Someone comes to your house and weighs you, they do not take your waist measurements or ask you to run a mile or do squats. They also take blood samples. Your weight, if high, counts against you and can either disqualify you completely or raise your rates.

I had to qualify when I was 7 months pregnant and they STILL used my weight against me!

I would have sought a waiver if I could demonstrate I had a healthy body fat percentage. Would you have been able to do that?
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    I think people are just trying to be helpful....if you don't want to hear what others have to say then why post at all?
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Just and FYI to everyone who ask "Do you take other mearsurements." YES I Take other measurements, but those measurements don't mean anything if I am still overweight.
    I am here to LOSE weight...not inches, no cm, not improve my ability to do a standing broad jump...WEIGHTLOSS. When I complain about not losing any real weight...don't ask me if I have measured my hips.

Denise

I am sure someone will have already explained this in one of the numerous answers, but scale weight is a function of many things including water balance, bowel/stomach contents, fat cell density, etc..

You can lose several pounds of fat, but weigh the same, and with some women over shorter periods of time, often times fat loss is masked by water retention. You can tell this by taking measurements.

Either way, scale weight is not the end all of quantitative progress. It's just another tool.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com
    www.myfitnesspal.com
    myfitnesspal.com
    myfitnesspal
    fitnesspal
    fitness

Lol; love it. Way to break it down for her. :)
  • insightdean
    Options
    To answer your topic, I have lost 11 pounds. According to BMI, etc. I probably should lose another 20. I would like to correspondingly have a 32 inch waist too. So that will require more upper body muscle. I have a long way to go. I am not a muscular guy probably more average so the BMI figures suit well for me. :)
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    If it's a weight loss site, then how come there's an option for tracking progress of purposeful weight gain?
  • jcm529
    jcm529 Posts: 36
    Options
    General Diet and Weight Loss Help

What kind of job requires you to be unfit, but light? Professional pillow tester?

I would guess any job that bases their initial screenings on BMI?

Which is a little illegal?
    Not necessarily. Jobs that require intense physical activity are allowed to discriminate based on fitness indicators.
    Which is more likely to be a once over with their eyeballs or a fitness test rather than weighing someone in the middle of the interview.

I was in the military for 5 years. Never once did they measure my weight by BMI (which studies have shown to not be an accurate indicator). Even in the military they looked at weight as a number but based on frame size (which they took measurements to determine), and people that fell beyond the standard weight ranges due to muscle/frame size etc where held to a different way of measuring (mostly body fat %) and then there was the dreaded fitness test.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Unless you are weight training pretty heavily three times a week or more I fail to see how measuring matters either.

Because by taking down the measurements as well as the number on the scale, it is more encouragement.

Hell, I remember only losing 0.4lbs one week, however when I took my measurements, I discovered my waist had lost half an inch, my hips quarter of an inch as well as quarter of an inch off my belly - therefore measurements are important for encouragement and it spurs me on to continue.

I gained a half inch on my hips in a few months but lost it else where so they don't work for me being stuck at a size 2 :grumble:

I am going to say something here that I would never normally consider saying.....

If you are a size 2 what the hell are you trying to lose weight for? The reason you put measurements ON your hips and lost it elsewhere is because your brain decided in its infinite wisdom to take whatever precious little padding you had left from one place and stick it on your hips to protect them. You had virtually nothing left to burn except the part where your measurements decreased and then the very next chance your body got to store anything, it bunged it on your hips where it was needed.

Besides which, gaining half inch in a few months is not worth worrying about - half an inch gain in three days, different matter.

When I talk about taking measurements, I am referring to those that are desperate to lose weight and if you consider yourself in that category, then you need to sit back, take stock and realize you are treading on dangerous territory, because a size 2 is NOT overweight and never will be.

Sorry people, this is getting ridiculous and dangerous now!!!!!! :angry: :mad:
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    sigh:yawn:
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I see where the OP is coming from. An insurance company that uses BMI as a qualifier does not care how fit or muscular you are, does not care that athletes have high BMI-- if you're over the number, rejected.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt that happens. They know that there are outliers. I doubt that fit (low fat, muscular) athletes are being rejected. I would also imagine that there are additional ways you can show your actual body composition.

Actually that is exactly how it works. Someone comes to your house and weighs you, they do not take your waist measurements or ask you to run a mile or do squats. They also take blood samples. Your weight, if high, counts against you and can either disqualify you completely or raise your rates.

I had to qualify when I was 7 months pregnant and they STILL used my weight against me!

I would have sought a waiver if I could demonstrate I had a healthy body fat percentage. Would you have been able to do that?

Honestly I am not sure as I don't think it was possible in my situation.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    To answer your topic, I have lost 11 pounds. According to BMI, etc. I probably should lose another 20. I would like to correspondingly have a 32 inch waist too. So that will require more upper body muscle. I have a long way to go. I am not a muscular guy probably more average so the BMI figures suit well for me. :)

And likewise, my LBM without any of my fat is around 175lbs (5'9" tall). That means without a single gram of fat on my body, I would still be clinically overweight. It's not like I'm a professional athlete either - I've just always stayed fit under the flab.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    i found this article about BMI. the second to last question on it is a very good explanation as to why its so important to take measuremnts.

http://www.life123.com/health/fitness/bmi/healthy-bmi.shtml
  • jcm529
    Options
    any employer that wont hire your cuz of your BMI thats descrimination, hell even fat hookers get work so i dont wanna hear that fat people cant do work that skinny people can... just saying... as for the weight thing everyone loses at a different rate, like for me i lost then i platued for three weeks then i shrank, then i gained weight, then i lost all of it again... so everyone has different ways of losing and it is a struggle and a headache for some people... keep your head up no matter what your goal is keep working at it and youll eventually get there.

Hey, everyone needs love. Love the fat hooker comment.
  • jcm529
    Options
    The ENTIRE site might be a fitness site but this board...is WEIGHTLOSS.

Perhaps its title should be changed to Weightloss and Body compesition Help?

But like I said....I do NOT care to be smaller if my BMI still screams obese. And if BMI doesn't matter tell me why it matters to insurance companies? Because when are you trying to get health insurance, or my case a job, weight on the scale matters.
    Not Body Fat Percentage, not the size of my hips and waiste...BMI.

End rant.

WEll It matters because BMI is Body Mass Index. The less BODY MASS INDEX you have the less BODY FAT YOU have. The less Body Fat you have the leaner and toner you are. HENCE Losing inches. There you go i have now took you down the ladder of why Inches is important so that you dont have to rant over it when people tell you to measure. It is very important. THE reason? A typical BMI for Healthy women weght is around 20. to 25. I have been 170 lbs with a bmi of 30 30 is OBESE, 170 lbs is overweight. You tell me which one IM going to by. They scale says that Im overweight however bmi states i have 30% bmi and that is considred obesed. Im still going to loose to get out of the bmi. TO me that equates to I have to much fat and not enough lean muscle. In that case I would want to loose fat not muscle. the scale is only a measurement along with measuring inches. TO loose weight you must loose inches and weight and trust me they dont always go together.

over weight according to BMI

large_tiger-woods-national-706.jpg
    michael-jordan-airjordan-xx3.jpg
    jamie-eason1.jpg

had to throw in a white girl

I :heart: this!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com
    www.myfitnesspal.com
    myfitnesspal.com
    myfitnesspal
    fitnesspal
    fitness

WHUT? MPF does not stand for MoFoPlayaz?

On a serious note, obviously we are allowed to use the site as we like.
    Though I am a prime example of someone whose scale number was the same, but with alarming additional 'fluffyness', and thus a big believer in measurements, it's up to the OP to use the site as she likes.
    For the record, I don't think it's necessary to change the 'General Diet and Weight Loss Help' category name this far into the game. We'd then have to change the 'Chit Chat' into 'Unabashed Ploys for Attention' or 'Bacon' :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Measurements are more accurate than a scale.

I agree with people who follow the "measuring tape-rule" because its more realistic and accurate.

BINGO!!!! We have a winner.

To the OP, until you stop letting the scale control you, you are making losing weight twice as hard as it really is.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

And likewise, my LBM without any of my fat is around 175lbs (5'9" tall). That means without a single gram of fat on my body, I would still be clinically overweight. It's not like I'm a professional athlete either - I've just always stayed fit under the flab.

If you're looking at body fat, you have to consider in terms of your percentage and your age. People who are normal weight or thin don't have flab.
This discussion has been closed.