Replies

• L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    - - -
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    To answer your topic, I have lost 11 pounds. According to BMI, etc. I probably should lose another 20. I would like to correspondingly have a 32 inch waist too. So that will require more upper body muscle. I have a long way to go. I am not a muscular guy probably more average so the BMI figures suit well for me. :)

And likewise, my LBM without any of my fat is around 175lbs (5'9" tall). That means without a single gram of fat on my body, I would still be clinically overweight. It's not like I'm a professional athlete either - I've just always stayed fit under the flab.

If you're looking at body fat, you have to consider in terms of your percentage and your age. People who are normal weight or thin don't have flab.
    My point was even if I was 'thin' I would still be overweight according to BMI. Everyone is different in terms of bone density, muscularity etc.
  • mbcan316
    mbcan316 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think people are just trying to be helpful....if you don't want to hear what others have to say then why post at all?

THIS!!
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I can not see your board, so I'll take your word for it.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Measurements are more accurate than a scale.

I agree with people who follow the "measuring tape-rule" because its more realistic and accurate.

BINGO!!!! We have a winner.

To the OP, until you stop letting the scale control you, you are making losing weight twice as hard as it really is.

Actually, they're not more accurate. If people measure in slightly different positions or holding the tape with a different tension you can get different results. (This is a big issue in bespoke tailoring, when patterns are made from the client's measurements.) The inaccuracy is why insurers haven't gone over to measuring people's waists and hips. Plus, it's more intrusive, time-consuming, and expensive.

I measure myself occasionally because it is another measure, but I'm never sure of my accuracy. If i'm using the same scale every time I have a decent baseline.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    The ENTIRE site might be a fitness site but this board...is WEIGHTLOSS.

Perhaps its title should be changed to Weightloss and Body compesition Help?

But like I said....I do NOT care to be smaller if my BMI still screams obese. And if BMI doesn't matter tell me why it matters to insurance companies? Because when are you trying to get health insurance, or my case a job, weight on the scale matters.
    Not Body Fat Percentage, not the size of my hips and waiste...BMI.

End rant.
    What exactly are you expecting from this site? Ultimately, you alone are responsible for reaching your goals. All any one else can do is offer support based on their own knowledge and experience. Simply take what you can use and leave the rest.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

But like I said....I do NOT care to be smaller if my BMI still screams obese. And if BMI doesn't matter tell me why it matters to insurance companies? Because when are you trying to get health insurance, or my case a job, weight on the scale matters.

End rant.

WEll It matters because BMI is Body Mass Index. The less BODY MASS INDEX you have the less BODY FAT YOU have. The less Body Fat you have the leaner and toner you are. HENCE Losing inches. There you go i have now took you down the ladder of why Inches is important so that you dont have to rant over it when people tell you to measure. It is very important. THE reason? A typical BMI for Healthy women weght is around 20. to 25. I have been 170 lbs with a bmi of 30 30 is OBESE, 170 lbs is overweight. You tell me which one IM going to by. They scale says that Im overweight however bmi states i have 30% bmi and that is considred obesed. Im still going to loose to get out of the bmi. TO me that equates to I have to much fat and not enough lean muscle. In that case I would want to loose fat not muscle. the scale is only a measurement along with measuring inches. TO loose weight you must loose inches and weight and trust me they dont always go together.

over weight according to BMI

large_tiger-woods-national-706.jpg
    michael-jordan-airjordan-xx3.jpg
    jamie-eason1.jpg

had to throw in a white girl

Isn't she like 110lbs?

I think the only "overweight" person in this example is michael jordan's playing weight. Everyone else is in the normal range.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    As much as I agree with 90% of the posts (some of them hilarious, some of them just kind of dismissive and superior-- why is it that we always think our "right" answers delivered in that righteous tone will be helpful? I'm so guilty of this too, we really have to cut it out) I'm sorry that you're struggling with a scale problem. I can certainly understand how frustrating it is. I hate it when the scale doesn't say what I want it to, so I look to other measurements, like the inches I lose even when the scale doesn't change, but I can see that doesn't solve your problem.

I don't know if posting an open letter on a public forum telling people to quit offering you suggestions/encouragement not to your liking is the best way to get any constructive feedback/help. If nothing anyone says here is helping you, I'd seek other sources of information rather than just ranting to people who are trying to help.

Good luck to you, I hope you find a way to make the scale work for you.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Well this certainly made for an entertaining Sunday morning read.

I've actually been thinking a lot over the past few days about how much I changed, as a person, since joining MFP. I've been on here for almost a year. I started out just looking to lose weight -- that's it. I had no interest in getting "fitter" "healthier" "taking measurements" or anything else.

I lost the majority of my weight in the first 4-5 months (I was only slightly overweight -- but I was extremely unfit). Due to the calorie restrictions, I made better food choices (hey, veggies are low cal!). I noticed my energy levels increasing and other random health benefits, so when the scale stopped moving, I decided to look more into the "fitness" stuff.

I haven't lost any weight in 6+ months. But people still come up to me and say "Did you lose weight?!" because I got slimmer, and fitter. I rock climb, I run (something I though I'd NEVER be able to do), I lift heavy things, and I'm totally OK with the scale going up as long as my measurements stay the same or go down.

The amazing people on my friends list get the credit for helping to change my mindset from "weight loss" to being health and fitness oriented. They also get the credit for inspiring me to want to try new things and see how far I can push my body as I progress forward.

So, some MFP members may not realize it yet, or they may never realize it, but this community can really change the way you view your body, and the things you do with it, but only if you let it. And really, you should. It's super fun.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    To answer your topic, I have lost 11 pounds. According to BMI, etc. I probably should lose another 20. I would like to correspondingly have a 32 inch waist too. So that will require more upper body muscle. I have a long way to go. I am not a muscular guy probably more average so the BMI figures suit well for me. :)

And likewise, my LBM without any of my fat is around 175lbs (5'9" tall). That means without a single gram of fat on my body, I would still be clinically overweight. It's not like I'm a professional athlete either - I've just always stayed fit under the flab.

If you're looking at body fat, you have to consider in terms of your percentage and your age. People who are normal weight or thin don't have flab.
    My point was even if I was 'thin' I would still be overweight according to BMI. Everyone is different in terms of bone density, muscularity etc.

That's true. But the idea that someone who was actually fit could not persuade an insurer or an employer of that is absurd. It's another one of those excuses people float. The fact is that the BMI is a reasonably accurate ROUGH MEASURE for populations and the people who complain about it the most are overweight or obese by any standard. There was a woman here the other day saying that the BMI did not apply to her because it said she was obese-- African Americans need a different scale, she claimed. She was 41% FAT.
  • michaelgilstrap
    michaelgilstrap Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I see your point about the weight being the only factor that insurance and others often times are looking at, but sometimes, I need indicators that I'm still heading the right direction even when the scale doesn't show it that week. So the measurements, help me stay positive and keep on track, so that the next week or the week after, I will see #'s reflected on the scale as well. If I'm not losing weight or inches, than I'm probably doing something wrong. So, I really like the other indicators, and appreciate the people who keep me positive and give me support. If you're going to post on here, most people are going to try and be supportive, and don't know that their encouragement will not be appreciated by you as most of us need it. I suggest, you stop posting and being such a discouragement to others who are only being helpful, and sound like are giving you good advice you don't want to hear.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I personally feel that there are a LOT of people who are being extremely rude here! Lets be SUPPORTIVE!

I stopped supporting stupidity 3 hours ago. She just missed the deadline. Sorry. :-(
  • mfpcopine
    Options

End rant.

WEll It matters because BMI is Body Mass Index. The less BODY MASS INDEX you have the less BODY FAT YOU have. The less Body Fat you have the leaner and toner you are. HENCE Losing inches. There you go i have now took you down the ladder of why Inches is important so that you dont have to rant over it when people tell you to measure. It is very important. THE reason? A typical BMI for Healthy women weght is around 20. to 25. I have been 170 lbs with a bmi of 30 30 is OBESE, 170 lbs is overweight. You tell me which one IM going to by. They scale says that Im overweight however bmi states i have 30% bmi and that is considred obesed. Im still going to loose to get out of the bmi. TO me that equates to I have to much fat and not enough lean muscle. In that case I would want to loose fat not muscle. the scale is only a measurement along with measuring inches. TO loose weight you must loose inches and weight and trust me they dont always go together.

over weight according to BMI

large_tiger-woods-national-706.jpg
    michael-jordan-airjordan-xx3.jpg
    jamie-eason1.jpg

had to throw in a white girl

Isn't she like 110lbs?

Here we go again. Do you look like any of those people? Do you have their level of muscularity or their low body fat percentage? Let's not forget frame and bone density.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Actually, it's a fitness site.

^ THAT.
  • victoria4321
    Options

Here we go again. Do you look like any of those people? Do you have their level of muscularity or their low body fat percentage?

Even with the level of fitness they have they're not even considered overweight. So its not even a good excuse example lol.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    :huh:

This is the stupidest rant ever.

I just felt this needed to be reposted.. :bigsmile:
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a SIDE EFFECT of fitness. Get fit, lose weight AND inches.

And boobs, which does sort of suck.
  • mscolleen2003
    mscolleen2003 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Very well said.
  • victoria4321
    Options

I have 210LBM, i am 6ft 2inches tall. If I weighed at my LBM(no fat what so ever) I'll still be considered over weight.
    You might think "well you have a lot of LBM" we're going by my WEIGHT for LBM. Anyone who is 6ft 2inchs tall that weighs 210lbs, fat, skinny, medium, whatever... is considered over weight.

You're also going to lose some of that lbm when you lose weight anyway too. Plus if you can show that you're fit otherwise then why does it matter? Most people really aren't muscular. There are always exceptions of course, such as yourself. A lot of obese people like to think they have a body builder hiding under all those layers of fat but its simply not true for most people.
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Seems like OP posted in the past expecting people to.... magically make the number on her scale less? I don't get it. No matter what is posted OP wont be satisfied until she does the work herself and starts seeing results (both with her physical appearance and with the numbers on the scale).

Also, I've been on a weight loss journey for over 10 months now and I've started to realize that inches and pounds both come off. Not always at the same rate. When I increased my activity I FELT skinnier/smaller/healthier/happier/better about myself but the scale numbers slowed down for a while. I just assumed it was because of the change in activity and left it at that. Eventually they kept going down over time.

I don't know what OP wants us to say to make her feel better but I think everyone has said it in one way or another??? Here is what I would say to OP to maybe make her realize something about the scale numbers: Just keep at it and take it one day and one week at a time. If you follow the plan you WILL start to see results and your body WILL change. Oh, and the number on the scale WILL go down.
This discussion has been closed.