This is a weight loss board

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Why are you people being SO vicious!? I read about ten posts and I realized that there are a lot of smart *kitten*, snarky people out here. I understand what the OP was trying to say.She is obviously frustrated but instead of either ignoring or encouraging her lots of you jumped on her like lions on a wounded gazelle. Does it make you feel better to be *kitten*? I seriously doubt any of you came to MFP because you're all Olympic athletes and/or supermodels. Surely you experienced frustration too at some point. Try being nice. :)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Please understand that I do respect the OP's point of view. While I disagree in part I wanted to simply offer my point of view why inches do matter. Best wishes on completing your goals.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Why are you people being SO vicious!? I read about ten posts and I realized that there are a lot of smart *kitten*, snarky people out here. I understand what the OP was trying to say.She is obviously frustrated but instead of either ignoring or encouraging her lots of you jumped on her like lions on a wounded gazelle. Does it make you feel better to be *kitten*? I seriously doubt any of you came to MFP because you're all Olympic athletes and/or supermodels. Surely you experienced frustration too at some point. Try being nice. :)

Exactly! I agree 100% with your post. Plus you look good covered in mud! :laugh: A little more niceness in the world can't be a bad thing.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

In defense of my fellow "snarkies", she wasn't exactly sweet and polite in her original post, and didn't seem to be looking for actual support. That is what happens when you come to a PUBLIC forum and whine about something that pisses other people off. The scale is NOT the end-all-be-all of weight loss and fitness. Measurements ARE important, NSV's ARE important.... She got the responses she should have expected.
  • bittle29
    bittle29 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is as good for you as losing pounds. Especially if the inches are coming of around you middle, which is a danger area for heart disease - especially in women. BMI is only 1 measurement. And in many cases, BMI is a poor measurement of health and fitness. You should be concerned about your health, not just your BMI.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    The OP was talking about BMI being an issue. Sadly, insurance companies still only look at weight or BMI as an indicator of fitness and potential health issues. BMI is grossly over-rated, but it's a fact in the insurance world. So I understand her frustration. She isn't saying she doesn't care about anything but weightloss, only that she has to make her BMI coexist with the current requirements for job applications or maybe health insurance requirements. No wonder she's frustrated!
  • swanny320
    Options

Exactly! I agree 100% with your post. Plus you look good covered in mud! :laugh: A little more niceness in the world can't be a bad thing.

Mud is the secret to weight loss. Ha! But seriously, thanks for supporting my call for civility.
  • swanny320
    Options

In defense of my fellow "snarkies", she wasn't exactly sweet and polite in her original post, and didn't seem to be looking for actual support. That is what happens when you come to a PUBLIC forum and whine about something that pisses other people off. The scale is NOT the end-all-be-all of weight loss and fitness. Measurements ARE important, NSV's ARE important.... She got the responses she should have expected.

Oh come on...didn't your mom ever tell you that "two wrongs don't make a right?" As I said, she is obviously frustrated so it seems pointless to jump on her. Besides, her post seemed to be general in nature and not directed at any one person. I can't understand why DOZENS of people decided to jump her and go off? Is it really worth the energy to be so hateful to someone? I think we're all out here for similar reasons...let's try encouragement instead of viciousness.
  • swanny320
    Options

Oh come on...didn't your mom ever tell you that "two wrongs don't make a right?" As I said, she is obviously frustrated so it seems pointless to jump on her. Besides, her post seemed to be general in nature and not directed at any one person. I can't understand why DOZENS of people decided to jump her and go off? Is it really worth the energy to be so hateful to someone? I think we're all out here for similar reasons...let's try encouragement instead of viciousness.

To add to my post, I don't see anything wrong with explaining the logic or science behind the "measurement" argument but some people were just flat out nasty and I can only assume it just makes them feel better about themselves. Dunno...
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    She is obviously frustrated but instead of either ignoring or encouraging her lots of you jumped on her like lions on a wounded gazelle. Does it make you feel better to be *kitten*?

Seriously. I can't believe there are 11 pages of the same thing. I don't agree with her and I don't like the tone of her post either, but geez, I think she got the point already.
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    This topic has been locked due to numerous guideline violations including:
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.
    and
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

We appreciate that everyone wants to participate, but before you do, please ask yourself if you are adding something constructive to the conversation. If you do not have anything constructive to add we kindly ask that you move on to another thread. No poster deserves to be "attacked" or "bullied" because they have asked/answered a question that you feel is not "good enough" or "stupid". We strive to moderate lightly and allow the freedom to argue and have spirited dialogues, but it must be done within the parameters of the MyFitnessPal guidelines.

Thank you for you understanding.

Cheers,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.