"It's SIMPLE! Burn more than you consume!" (B.S.)

Options

Replies

• Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread beyond the first page so forgive me if this has been said. Part of the reason you might not be losing is because you're constantly building more muscle. How do your clothes fit? To be honest, it's the first thing I look at long before I step on a scale. Have you checked to see if you've lost inches? Body composition can change without the scale changing. I've always said, I wouldn't mind being 350 lbs if I had 11% body fat. I'd be the friggin' hulk. Okay, maybe not 350 but 280 at 11-13%.

If it's one thing I've learned from my past failures to lose weight and actually KEEP it off, you have to been in it for the long haul and that might mean gritting your teeth through the valleys when you're not seeing the results you want to see. I totally understand the frustration of that though, truly. Good luck in your progress, Gibson....I'm pullin' for ya!!!!

-J
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

I do appreciate the nasty and sarcastic responses, though! (by the way, that's my own sarcasm, in case you missed it) It serves to remind me why I rarely ever post to these forums. Such a nasty and unsupportive place. Honestly, I've never known a forum be so full of such nasty people in my life - and I've belonged to more than a few of them!

Please explain how you bettered this place when you start a thread solely for the purpose of telling everyone that they are full of *kitten* when they offer time-tested advice for weightloss. What kind of responses were you expecting?

:flowerforyou:

I think the OP Is just frustrated and the title of this forum should have started with RANT: "It's SIMPLE! Burn more than you consume!" (B.S.)
  • squidgely
    squidgely Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with ramgi. I think the lady just wanted to have a vent, whether her ideas about weight loss were correct or not. I don't think the sarcastic and unsupportive comments were what this site intended to promote. Instead of the frosty or downright nasty replies, surely someone could have just offered some support and said they hoped she found what was going wrong with her diet and fitness plan soon.
    Come on guys, don't you ever have days when you just need to get something off your chest and don't want advice?
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Why? If it's as simple as burning more than I consume then wtf do I have to shake ANYthing up?

Because the rate that you're burning has changed. As you adapt to an exercise you burn less calories doing it.

It IS as simple as burning more than you eat. The hard part is that you have to know exactly how much you are burning and that will change over time.
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    To the OP.....Have you been taking measurements? I often find that when I am at a "plateau," my body is still changing shape. I would suggest taking your measurements, put the scale away for a while, and see what happens. I think you might be pleasantly surprised! Good luck!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It just took more than a few weeks for my body to react, I guess. Maybe your body is going through something similar and that's why it's taking longer. But you will lose eventually, there is no way it doesn't work, so I hope you keep at it.

This is pretty much what I was going to originally post. But I guess I thought that, perhaps, someone who taught fitness classes and was on a weigh loss program would already know this. My mistake.

Sure its frustrating. And sometimes it takes months. But fercryinoutloud, it IS a change for life. And if you are young, you have a lot of time.
  • babybluefire
    babybluefire Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Genetics also can play a huge role. I am part native american. I can eat 500 calories a day, nurse a healthy baby and not drop a pound. Genetically my body can lower its calorie needs during a starvation period. No amount of dieting eat this not that type thing has worked. The only thing that works is progressively harder and more difficult work outs over time. Oh well, by the time I am at my goal weight I will be able to run a marathon and maybe do a tough mudder, who knows.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    For the record - I'm not a Troll - I never have been and I never will be. HOWEVER - if someone is going to be nasty in reply to something I've posted, I'm of a mind to make a snarky response. Call it a defense mechanism because, believe it or not I'M A REAL LIFE PERSON! There is a flesh and blood HUMAN BEING typing these words that actually has feelings and emotions. If you're going to be an a**hole enough of a person to belittle me or what I'm saying just for fun - I'm not going to feel bad about doing in return.

I posted this original message out of frustration and venting. If you're SO bothered by it that you have to post a nasty reply just to feel superior to me - go ahead! I hope it made you feel better, because you really haven't affected me in the slightest. I'm still as frustrated as I was when I first posted this (with regards to my weight loss or lack thereof). But you certainly haven't made me feel like less of a person - just made me think less of you as one.

So - enjoy that. I hope that all works out well for you.

fbf.gif
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For the record - I'm not a Troll - I never have been and I never will be. HOWEVER - if someone is going to be nasty in reply to something I've posted, I'm of a mind to make a snarky response. Call it a defense mechanism because, believe it or not I'M A REAL LIFE PERSON! There is a flesh and blood HUMAN BEING typing these words that actually has feelings and emotions. If you're going to be an a**hole enough of a person to belittle me or what I'm saying just for fun - I'm not going to feel bad about doing in return.

I posted this original message out of frustration and venting. If you're SO bothered by it that you have to post a nasty reply just to feel superior to me - go ahead! I hope it made you feel better, because you really haven't affected me in the slightest. I'm still as frustrated as I was when I first posted this (with regards to my weight loss or lack thereof). But you certainly haven't made me feel like less of a person - just made me think less of you as one.

So - enjoy that. I hope that all works out well for you.

fbf.gif

This picture makes me extremely happy.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

I've been involved in a few of these classes as well, but that's just not me. I am consistently going as hard as I possibly can because I'm trying to keep the energy up. I wear a FitBit while I am doing Zumba and I am burning anywhere from 650 - 800 calories in a 1 hour period (according to the FitBit).

I wear a Fitbit everyday. I love it and would not be without it, but it does have it's limitations. A Fitbit is not able to determine the intensity of your effort, it only counts your steps. If you were to wear a HRM when doing your class I think that you would find that you are burning far more calories than what your Fitbit is saying. If that is the case then you over the course of a week you could be seriously undereating.

Try wearing a HRM for a few of your classes and then compare the results with your fitbit...this may be where your problem lies.
  • mittyerica
    mittyerica Posts: 13
    Options
    I also call bull****. I am a big girl 265lbs. I work out 2 hours of Kickboxing (intense), 6-9 miles on the Elliptical and 90-145mins of weightlifting (moderate) a week...since February. Faithfully typing in EVERYTHING I eat or drink and that scale has not moved in three months. I am staying fit and eating well for the rest of my life, but dang cut a girl a break body.
  • BoydLabBuck
    BoydLabBuck Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.

Get through that and tell me it's as simple as in & out.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Waiting for Acg67 :laugh:
    OP i have nothing helpful to say as your diary is private, and i know nothing of your stats.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Other than the section on the lipid hypothesis, the rest is a bunch of garbage
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    People have said in the same breath that it's that simple it's science then say your body has adapted and you should shake it up. Why? If it's as simple as burning more than I consume then wtf do I have to shake ANYthing up?

In my experience a lot of people who do the same workout every day become used to it, it's routine. It's easier to slack a bit, not work as hard, not push yourself and then not burn as many calories.

If you lift 5 pound weight everyday, eventually to get better results you'll need to do more reps, use bigger weights, something to increase the the results. Soon 5 pounds may not require the same amount of energy to lift that they used to.

EDIT- sorry I saw someone posted the exact same thing while I was writing it.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It's like talking to bricks. No wonder the diet industry makes billions of dollars a year!

So many special snowflakes whose bodies break the laws of physics. Amazing! :grumble:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've been involved in a few of these classes as well, but that's just not me. I am consistently going as hard as I possibly can because I'm trying to keep the energy up. I wear a FitBit while I am doing Zumba and I am burning anywhere from 650 - 800 calories in a 1 hour period (according to the FitBit).

Bingo.

The FitBit by your motion sees you are moving just as much now as earlier.

But your body has adapted and improved and your HR is probably not as high, even if you are sweating as much (bad indicator), or breathing as hard (slightly better indicator combined with HR level).

You can reach a point where your ability to push the HR as high as it used to be just isn't there, your body has gotten efficient enough, it almost turns into sprints to obtain that higher level. And of course, sprints can't be maintained.

As also mentioned, NEAT levels go down in studies of those with suppressed metabolism, or rather, it's not as suppressed as the other daily activities just adjust otherwise.

Like you burn say 500 in a class, but because of being tired now, you sit on the couch longer than normal in the evening, missing out on 200 cal burn that might have otherwise occurred had you had energy to move around as much.
    So the net effect of the class on the day was only an extra 300 calories burned.

Keep or increase other daily activity - that is where the real fat burn comes from anyway, normal daily activities that rely mainly on fat as energy source, and that is where majority of deficit comes from anyway. Exercise at your level is only probably 25% or less fat burn.
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Why? If it's as simple as burning more than I consume then wtf do I have to shake ANYthing up?

Because the rate that you're burning has changed. As you adapt to an exercise you burn less calories doing it.

It IS as simple as burning more than you eat. The hard part is that you have to know exactly how much you are burning and that will change over time.

...even so you still should be losing SOMETHING. If someone is eating at a deficit and their exercise is just creating more of a deficit why wouldn't they still lose weight just because their body adapted to the exercise?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    basic law of thermodynamics always applies. How you burn or store calories, including body composition, varies.

If you burn more energy than you consume, then energy will be harvested from available sources(adipose, muscle, whatever.) No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

But that doesn't always mean you will lose weight. Weight loss/gain is not all about fat and muscle. You may lose fat or muscle and still not lose weight or inches if other factors are at play, the most common being water retention. People always say "it's just water weight" as if it's no big deal. But if a medical condition causes long term water retention you'll still be bigger and weigh more.
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's like talking to bricks. No wonder the diet industry makes billions of dollars a year!

So many special snowflakes whose bodies break the laws of physics. Amazing! :grumble:

How long have you been trying to lose weight?
This discussion has been closed.