"It's SIMPLE! Burn more than you consume!" (B.S.)

Options

Replies

• Marlei5610
    Marlei5610 Posts: 16
    Options
    And if you were fat then congrats on your success. When your profile indicates "a few pounds" it's easy to assume that's all it's ever been.

Why do you continue to imply that someones physique has any indication of the quality of their information?

"Information" is pretty loose here. It's a lot of opinion. Someone who has struggled and solved it has a lot more experience than someone who was gifted with a naturally high metabolism and has thus not struggled.

"gifted" with "high metabolism"

What makes you think that that person does not work their *kitten* off keeping their "high metabolism"? What makes you think, for even a second, that that person does not put equal or more effort into their nutrition and exercise goals that you do? Just because they are ahead of the game and never allowed themselves to get fat you are going to discount their opinion on health? That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

To quote myself from my previous post:

"We all know skinny people who eat loads of junk and who do little or no exercise, right? Why aren't they fat?".

Yes, I really do know people like that. Don't you?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    OK, so that statement really chafes my nether-parts.

It is so NOT that darn simple!

I am a Zumba Instructor. I teach a 1 hour class at the MINIMUM of 3 times/week. On average I AM burning more calories than I consume and I am NOT losing weight anymore. I've been teaching about 6 classes/week for the past 2 weeks and haven't been eating any more or any less and I haven't gained or lost a SINGLE FRIGGING POUND!

By the way, I'm NOT asking advice, because I can almost promise you for 20 different people at least 10 different answers. Not gonna help me, but thanks anyway. I simply wanted to point out that this statement gets thrown around so much and it's just blatantly NOT TRUE!
    Well you can "undereat" and not lose weight. Unless you truly know your metabolic burn you can't say you're burning more than you consume. The body is really smart and if you undereat, it will automatically lower it's metabolic rate. Zumba doesn't build or help to retain muscle but can burn lean muscle tissue thereby lower metabolic rate. I see it a lot from not only Zumba only people, but people who just do cardio only in general.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    OK, I was just venting because I've been extremely frustrated that I've been doing all of the "right" things based on opinions from different people. Trust me, I've tried the "Eat more to lose weight", I've tried the 15% less than TDEE....I've given plenty of time in between applications to give it time to actually work. And nothing.

Today I finally just snapped when someone said to me flat out, "I don't know why you're stressing - it's simple. Burn more than you take in". If it were that simple, would I be struggling like I am?

As for varying my routine - the only thing I can do is ADD. I am a Zumba Instructor - I teach Zumba. There's only so much you can do with a Zumba format... So I can try to add strength training to one of the days I'm also teaching Zumba. This is a job, I can't just NOT do it.

I do appreciate the nasty and sarcastic responses, though! (by the way, that's my own sarcasm, in case you missed it) It serves to remind me why I rarely ever post to these forums. Such a nasty and unsupportive place. Honestly, I've never known a forum be so full of such nasty people in my life - and I've belonged to more than a few of them!

I'm happy to have been able to provide you with the opportunity to get it all out, though! Carry on!

I'm not sure why you posted this in the forum section if you didn't want people to comment on it. I'm also not sure why you started your posts with snarky comments about the forums and then expect to get encouragement and praise. You get what you give.
  • Irishmoonwitch
    Options
    Your body has adapted. That's what causes plateaus. You need to vary your exercise and cycle your calories to start losing again.

But, as you said, you don't care about my (educated) opinion, so you can just ignore this and keep sticking your fingers and your ears and saying, "Lalalalalalalala."

Your anecdote is not fact. Please stop spreading the wrong information and calling science a lie.

^^This
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If that was the case, then we should see weight loss from those who don't eat, or don't eat much.... wait we do... and call it an Eating Disorder!
  • CoachMelissaDi
    CoachMelissaDi Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Your body has adapted. That's what causes plateaus. You need to vary your exercise and cycle your calories to start losing again.

But, as you said, you don't care about my (educated) opinion, so you can just ignore this and keep sticking your fingers and your ears and saying, "Lalalalalalalala."

Your anecdote is not fact. Please stop spreading the wrong information and calling science a lie.

THIS!! You need (as Tony horton from P90X puts it) Muscle confusion. You have adapted to the workout because it is the same cardio everytime!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    the_internet_is_here.jpg
  • BeckyRyall41
    Options
    Possibly gaining more muscle therefore not losing, I don't know just a guess
  • sherdenise
    sherdenise Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I completely hear where you are coming from on this issue...I feel your frustration. I hate how I can have 5 days in a week where I've burned more than I've taken in and then have two days that are less than stellar and it's those two days that determine my weight for that week :grumble:
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I haven't come across the nasty and bitter folks in the Message boards yet. However, I don't usually put topics. I am here to support people and get support. If your not supportive to me then your not on my friends list and I just ignore your posts in the threads.

With all that being said I did want to offer 2 cents with a question. When you are doing the Zumba are you using a HRM or a BodyBug or something similar to measure calorie burn? I only ask becuase I found myself on an ellipitical years ago and I believed the "burn" number on the machine...and as my body got leaner and added a little muscle the ellipitical kept telling me I was buring the same amount of calories but as i got ligher and stronger the 20 minutes because easy (i wasn't upping the level on the machine). So I got a heart monitor and tracked calorie burn that way and realized that I was in better shape then when I started so I had to push myself harder to get that same calorie but that I had before.

Thanks to everyone that posted articles I am going thru and reading it all now.

-bruce
  • BoydLabBuck
    BoydLabBuck Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    www,weightology.net
    www.alanaragon.com
    www.body-improvements.com
    www.bodyrecomposition.com

^ These gentlemen have done a ridiculous amount of research and you may wish to read further.

I've browsed it. Like I said before, it's quite simple to refute nearly every study in existence regarding diet and nutrition. I'm not interested because I've found what works for myself and others I know. I will encourage others to take the same approach as me when they ask for advice or express dissatisfaction with their current approach.
  • MontgomeryRats
    Options
    MeliciousGibs I can't quite figure out why so much sarcasm and smarminess was spewed out by responders here. I too stay off the boards for that reason. I think you wrote your post well, it was amusing and I could relate to it. It most certainly is NOT simple.
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    OK, I was just venting because I've been extremely frustrated that I've been doing all of the "right" things based on opinions from different people. Trust me, I've tried the "Eat more to lose weight", I've tried the 15% less than TDEE....I've given plenty of time in between applications to give it time to actually work. And nothing.

Today I finally just snapped when someone said to me flat out, "I don't know why you're stressing - it's simple. Burn more than you take in". If it were that simple, would I be struggling like I am?

As for varying my routine - the only thing I can do is ADD. I am a Zumba Instructor - I teach Zumba. There's only so much you can do with a Zumba format... So I can try to add strength training to one of the days I'm also teaching Zumba. This is a job, I can't just NOT do it.

I do appreciate the nasty and sarcastic responses, though! (by the way, that's my own sarcasm, in case you missed it) It serves to remind me why I rarely ever post to these forums. Such a nasty and unsupportive place. Honestly, I've never known a forum be so full of such nasty people in my life - and I've belonged to more than a few of them!

I'm happy to have been able to provide you with the opportunity to get it all out, though! Carry on!

I'm not sure why you posted this in the forum section if you didn't want people to comment on it. I'm also not sure why you started your posts with snarky comments about the forums and then expect to get encouragement and praise. You get what you give.

I did NOT expect encouragement and praise. I never expect it. I posted this in the forum section because I wanted to - and it doesn't matter to me whether you understand it or not. Beleive it or not, I didn't do it for anyone but myself.

As for the "YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE" comment - did you not read the posts BEFORE I wrote this one? SERIOUSLY? Because I had actually written this one in response to the nasty posts I had gotten before it.

If we're going to go this route - I'm really not sure why why felt you had to make a comment. See? You don't CARE if I understand it, do you? Same principle. :D
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I sincerely apologize that I did not post this in the "Chit-Chat, Fun and Games" section of the forum - however, to me this was not about "chit-chat", it ISN'T "fun" and most certainly NOT a "game" - it's about "General Weight Loss". It was YOU who assumed that it was a request for feedback - even though I stated the reasons WHY I wasn't requesting feedback. In case you missed it, it was because of all of the various and conflicting types of information I knew I would receive.

I never once said that I didn't expect to "spout off to the world without reprisal or response" - in fact it was quite the contrary. On a site such as this with as many unpleasant and downright rude people as I've run into on MFP, I FULLY expected it! I do, however, once in a while also receive actual SUPPORTIVE AND COMMISERATIVE responses from other people that feel as I do (or did at the time of writing that post) and this was more for THEM than it was the shallow, snarky, tactless and rude people that are out there. Judging by my inbox, I'd say I actually managed to reach a couple of them, too.

Who are you to tell me how to best enjoy my internet experience? I do not wish to write a blog with the comments turned off. I have actually received genuinely helpful information that has given me much to think about. If you don't like my post or the thread in general, you could have at any point STOPPED READING instead of imposing your judgment of what YOU think I should do or should have done onto me.

So - thanks for posting! Sorry it bothered you so bad! Have a nice day!

As I said, I'm not annoyed, merely confused. I remain so. You have an opinion that your intentions and desires behind making this post matter to all other people--or that they should matter to all other people, perhaps. I don't know why you would assume that. It's completely unreasonable.

I haven't actually dictated that you enjoy (or not) your internet experience in any particular way at all. You're assuming I have, though I can't find any evidence for it in my post. I did give you a conditional statement (if you feel such a way, then do this instead), but that's not the same thing as telling what to do. It's just a suggestion for remedy. I'm simply telling you that you're foolish for thinking that people aren't going to challenge strong opinions, like vents (you do consider your original post a vent, I believe) because you ask or tell them not to.

By all means get upset if it helps you cope, but ultimately what you're experiencing here is expected behavior. Condemn it if you like, but if you expect it, and it seems by your statements that you did expect it, you are at least as equally to blame for being annoyed by their rudeness as they are because you knowingly instigated it.
    Have a nice day!

And to you :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Re:Taubes. Not that I've anything significant to add that hasn't already been said but I was a believer in him for a while. Doted on his work even. But gradually as I read more studies first hand I realized how off target he really was in his singular demonization of carbs. He's as fundamentalist in that direction as the fat demonizers he speaks so eloquently about are in the other.

I'm now Lyle McDonald convert. Now THERE'S a guy who knows his ****.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    also you can't compare yourself to a normal person who is trying to lose weight in my opinion as you have been doing zumba for a long while "I assume" and by now your body got used to it. Probably this is the reason why you are not losing or gaining weight, but if you were increasing the exercise or even do different exercises I am pretty sure that you would continue to either build muscle or lose weight :) An average person who is trying to lose weight only works out a couple of times a week and most of us trying to do million different things, so challenging our body without even knowing this is why we are losing weight burning calories :) I don't really eat more than a 1000 calorie a day or even less and workout only 20-30 minutes a day and I am not losing anymore weight and neither gaining :))) I also tried when I wanted to lose weight I needed to switch up my exercises and workout more than the normal habit :) That case I already change my habit so my body got out of the comfort zone and I started to lose weight weekly 1-2 lbs :))) So according to my experience if you continuously doing the same thing eating same calories you will not go any further, you will need to change the game time to time :)))
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    OP, I know what you're going through. I've been dieting for a very, very long time. What worked for 10 months stopped working out of the blue. I started gaining weight instead of losing with no changes to my diet or exercise routine.

So I started changing everything (because maybe THAT was the problem?) eating less, eating more, doing strength-training, swimming, running, elliptical, free-weight lifting, squats, etc. And so far, two years have passed, and I haven't lost a pound. Well, to be more accurate, I gain and lose the same 5 lbs over and over again.
    If you fasted for one day (Not totally unhealthy) and just had water would you lose weight or just stay the same? I promise you would lose weight because it is physically impossible for you to stay the same.

I fasted on Monday. On Tuesday, I was 0.2 lbs heavier. :sad: My body is pretty special, I think. Nonetheless, my new way of *trying* to lose weight is to cut my calories down slowly, then fast once a week. It won't work, but still... For those of us who've been at this for a long time, it can be really frustrating. Not all bodies are the same. What may be easy and simple for you may be really difficult for someone else.
    It's called a variable. Your hormones, birth control, or medications can all affect your bodies ability to shed weight. Additionally, under consumption can provide similar affects. On top of that, people can be intolerant to certain foods (yeah allergies) and at some point, your body doesn't want to drop weight....

:flowerforyou: Thank you!
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

I did NOT expect encouragement and praise. I never expect it. I posted this in the forum section because I wanted to - and it doesn't matter to me whether you understand it or not. Beleive it or not, I didn't do it for anyone but myself.

As for the "YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE" comment - did you not read the posts BEFORE I wrote this one? SERIOUSLY? Because I had actually written this one in response to the nasty posts I had gotten before it.

If we're going to go this route - I'm really not sure why why felt you had to make a comment. See? You don't CARE if I understand it, do you? Same principle. :D

Look lady, it's fair to be frustrated. We all are from time to time. You've worked hard and continue to do so. Trust in that. Do you really think that just because other people come around with crappy attitudes and mean comments that it justifies your attitude and negative demeanor?
    We all chose our attitudes regardless of what comes our way. Other people can not make you a bitter and angry woman. You really do get what you give. It really is that simple.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I

Simple statement, perhaps not simple application.

And when simple idea is delved into, not really simple statement.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html
    [/quote]

thank you for this link, its a good read
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Re:Taubes. Not that I've anything significant to add that hasn't already been said but I was a believer in him for a while. Doted on his work even. But gradually as I read more studies first hand I realized how off target he really was in his singular demonization of carbs. He's as fundamentalist in that direction as the fat demonizers he speaks so eloquently about are in the other.

I'm now Lyle McDonald convert. Now THERE'S a guy who knows his ****.
    +1 for Lyle McDonald
This discussion has been closed.