The Dumb@ss Things People Say...

Options

Replies

• 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I guess I cant see what you're saying, but for me, I've never been 100 pounds overweight. There's a different dynamic to losing a 100 pounds and losing 35 pounds. In the interest of fairness, to someone else I suppose they could offer great and relevant advice, if they were in fact, as you pointed out, in the middle of a massive loss.

I will agree with you that there can be different dynamics, especially when getting to the "final 10" if you only have 35 to lose. all in all, we can both agree that you have to look beyond just the written words of someone before you can take their advice confidently!
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Two words... Thigh gap :angry:

LOL! I saw a post about that yesterday and I was standing in the mirror and saw that I don't have the "thigh gap"! I giggled when I thought of how the "Skinny fat" people don't have the "thigh gap" (according to the poster). Um, sorry but I have muscular legs (and proud of them and work them HARD) so I don't, nor will I ever, have the thigh gap unless I stop doing my squats, lunges and all my other leg work and get spindly little bitty legs which is never going to happen.

I guess I'm just old. A girl having "thigh gap" meant something completely different when I was a young lad.

Ahh. The 3 finger gap?

I'm so not touching that one. But, yes.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I have a wedding tomorrow and I need to lose 15 pounds to fit into my dress. What exercise should I do?
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options

I feel the same way about narrow-minded diatribes employed to engage forums expressing opinions as fact, while the author selectively garners sections of posts in an effort to display their lack of understanding of the actual topic at hand, only to exacerbate their personal modus operandi.

Next.

You, my good sir, are full of win.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    "women shouldn't run because it may cause their uterus to fall out"

"overweight people shouldn't run because they are overweight"

"I NEED to loose (sic) 30 lbs in 6 weeks because I'm getting married"

"Peanut butter is a great source of protein" ( about the same as peanut M&M's)
  • gchutson
    Options

I feel the same way about narrow-minded diatribes employed to engage forums expressing opinions as fact, while the author selectively garners sections of posts in an effort to display their lack of understanding of the actual topic at hand, only to exacerbate their personal modus operandi.

Next.

You, my good sir, are full of win.

I try. (I argue for a living.)
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Friend - "How are you managing to lose so much weight?"
    Me - "Just diet and exercise :)"
    Friend - "HAHAHA, no, really." :noway:

This by far is my favorite! I hear that all the time. Usually coupled with "I heard about this new diet pill...." Do you think I should take it?

I usually just smile and say "Well different things work for different people. Diet and exercise is what's working for me." :tongue:
  • sarapumpkin
    Options
    lol, how do i know if I have a thigh gap? Do I want one?
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options

Oh gord, I almost put my head through the desk yesterday with that thread. Someone remind me how and why the thigh gap became sexy?? ARGH!

My favorite dumbass thing is the combo of how much can I lose in x amount of time/how much should I weigh or what should I look like at such and such height. Because we're all generic right? Everyone has exactly the same bodies. Dumbarses.
  • gchutson
    Options
    lol, how do i know if I have a thigh gap? Do I want one?

Fear the Gap.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I really just have a problem with people who want to be sarcastic or mean when somebody has a question. I know there are stupid questions out there but there is also a lot of misinformation out there too. Go ahead and make a comment about how stupid the topic is but geez answer the question too. That's so frustrating to see someone ask and people just answer with retarded comments. So now the person is hurt and still misinformed.
  • gchutson
    Options

Oh gord, I almost put my head through the desk yesterday with that thread. Someone remind me how and why the thigh gap became sexy?? ARGH!

My favorite dumbass thing is the combo of how much can I lose in x amount of time/how much should I weigh or what should I look like at such and such height. Because we're all generic right? Everyone has exactly the same bodies. Dumbarses.

Your tourettes is hot. Just sayin.
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    -- Obese and severely overweight people telling me that I can eat whatever I want in moderation when I know that certain foods tend to make me pig out. The reason I've maintained my weight is by NOT exercising moderation.

-- Obese and severely overweight people telling me it's all about willpower. "It's worked well for you," I want to respond.

-- In a conversation about exercise that I am sure I did not start, an obese woman telling me that grooming her pet was exercise after I'd discussed running.

-- The uneducated evocation of the term "starvation mode" ... I will say no more.

In some ways, weight loss discussions remind me of political discussions in the U.S.: They're very dumb. The participants often lack basic information and they are insensitive to nuance and they oversimplify and generalize everything to the point where it's nonsense.

You mean brushing my doggie is not burning mega calories? jeez people!

Power Brushing.

She was INDIGNANT when I looked surprised that she was using doggy brushing as an example of intense exercise.

I have a Malamute...I'm going to call it Power Brushing on a daily basis, plus there is the inevitable Power Run around the dining room table to catch him a number of times during the process( I like to think of it as 'bursting' for all you runner out there)...I also Power Vaccum after I use a rubberized tool to Power Comb the carpet...Actually now that I think about it it is kind of a cardio workout if you do it without stopping haha.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options

- How do you all actually eat over 1500 calories? I get completely stuffed and can't eat any more (pay no attention that I am 300 lbs and have eated 3500+ calories per day for the last 5 years)

I LOVE THAT! Sometimes I actually think that to myself... "omg how I can I eat 300 calories more???" Then I giggle and remember how fat I am and how I got here. Then I eat my 300 calories like a good dieter.

I think most of the time they are just confused about "healthy" and "low calorie" and that they are not the same thing.
    being someone who posted about not managing to eat my full cals, I can say I could have made it up easily with "pie" and "beer" I was looking for healthy high cal food ideas ... as I think others who post this type of thing are looking for .... also my weight gain was not "food" related believe it or not there are ppl who dont binge eat but do gain .... its about cals in cals out not about binge eating ..... I gained due to a combo of stopping moving, drinking more beer and having the pill injection ..... not through eating ...
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    -When there is some gain in the weight and people are told and believe that it must be muscle weight. Like gaining a pound of muscle in a week is so easy.
    -You HAVE to drink at least 8 glasses of water
    - you HAVE to eat breakfast in the morning
    -you HAVE to eat your exercise calories
    -starvation mode
    -If you're about 50lb or more overweight, and lose 2lb a week, I'm not that impressed, and roll my eyes when you complain that it's so little.

Basically a lot of things that have been mentioned here :)
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    My doctor using the BMI scale to determine my fitness. level and telling me that at 30.6 I was obese and needed to lose weight. I'm 5'4 and weigh 171. And not listening to me tell her i am working out 6 days a week from 30 to 60 min each day and am in a size 8. Frustrating
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I need to get in on this...

1) People saying how good it must feel to be at goal. Yes, I'm proud of what I did, but the hardest part is ahead of me, not gaining the 37 pounds back that I worked damn hard to get off. Just because you are at goal doesn't mean you can have fun and throw caution to the wind again.

2) People that comment that it's great that I can eat a lot of calories and not gain weight, while they net like 2 calories a day and don't feel that's bad...

3) People that complain that it's not coming off fast enough. Seriously, it isn't a race. I figure I gained 30 pounds in 5 years and it took about 6 months to get off (give or take). I think those are good averages. Patience people...
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    -- Obese and severely overweight people telling me that I can eat whatever I want in moderation when I know that certain foods tend to make me pig out. The reason I've maintained my weight is by NOT exercising moderation. ----

-- Obese and severely overweight people telling me it's all about willpower. "It's worked well for you," I want to respond.

-- In a conversation about exercise that I am sure I did not start, an obese woman telling me that grooming her pet was exercise after I'd discussed running.

-- The uneducated evocation of the term "starvation mode" ... I will say no more.

In some ways, weight loss discussions remind me of political discussions in the U.S.: They're very dumb. The participants often lack basic information and they are insensitive to nuance and they oversimplify and generalize everything to the point where it's nonsense.

1. You can eat whatever you want in moderation, whatever YOU want, if you know there is a food that is a trigger, then yes perhaps you should stay away from it.

2. It is about willpower. I've lost 40lbs I am still about 100lbs over weight, but I am working on it, my will power is what pushes me forward.

3. For that woman grooming her pet may have been exercise to her. If she wasn't active before, that 15 minutes of washing, brushing, picking up, drying off her pet is increased movement for her, just because she can't run yet doesn't mean it's not exercise.

So now, my idea of the dumb@ss things people say....

People who talk about overweight and obese people as if they are a different class of human. Because obviously the person talking has obtained perfection..
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

- How do you all actually eat over 1500 calories? I get completely stuffed and can't eat any more (pay no attention that I am 300 lbs and have eated 3500+ calories per day for the last 5 years)

I LOVE THAT! Sometimes I actually think that to myself... "omg how I can I eat 300 calories more???" Then I giggle and remember how fat I am and how I got here. Then I eat my 300 calories like a good dieter.

I think most of the time they are just confused about "healthy" and "low calorie" and that they are not the same thing.
    being someone who posted about not managing to eat my full cals, I can say I could have made it up easily with "pie" and "beer" I was looking for healthy high cal food ideas ... as I think others who post this type of thing are looking for .... also my weight gain was not "food" related believe it or not there are ppl who dont binge eat but do gain .... its about cals in cals out not about binge eating ..... I gained due to a combo of stopping moving, drinking more beer and having the pill injection ..... not through eating ...

1.Not knowing how to form a sentence. (Doesn't have to be proper and grammar doesn't have to be perfect, but seriously?)

2.Not knowing what ALMONDS are.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    There are two situations that cause me the most eye rolling. First, people who complain about their weight and immediately follow it with a detailed description of the huge portions of fattening desserts that they eat every single night after dinner. Second, people who act like it's an accident that other people are NOT overweight - like no one in the world watches what they eat or does exercise, it's just magic when people are a healthy size.
This discussion has been closed.