WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER

Options

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, just me again:wink:

If you are all sick of doggie stories, I am sorry, but I have to share another one, so I hope you will forgive me.:smile: .

Apparently you CAN teach and old dog new tricks!! Bradley the Yorkie lived in a home without a doggie door from the time he was a puppy, so his first exposure to one was a week ago last Sunday when he arrived here.

For the past week, he has gone through the door, with me holding the flap up, and he has seen Pepper and Mai Li go through on their own. I hadn't started to try to train him to use it on his own yet as it appeared he was having trouble navigating the difference in height between outdoors and in. The other two dogs jump through, but he sort of crawled through, so I was trying to decide what I could put outside in front of the door that he could step on that wouldn't interfere with the usage by the other two dogs.

Apparently, I needn't have worried. Tonight Bradley walked up to the door and stuck his nose under the flap to open it up. Then he pulled his head back in and looked at me. Since it was dark, and he hadn't gone out far enough to activate the motion sensor light, I flicked it on for him and out he went under his own power!!!:noway: :drinker: :drinker: Then a couple of minutes later, he came back in without assistance. This is going to make my life a LOT easier!!! :drinker: :drinker: I won't have to come home in the middle of my shift to make sure that he has been out. I don't live that far from my job, but there are 2 days a week where I only have 30 minutes for lunch, and on those days I have been eating my lunch while driving home, spending about 10 minutes there, and then driving back to work. Not a very relaxing lunch:grumble:

Speaking of food, I have discovered a really nice tasty option in the Kashi brand of frozen entrees--it is called Mayan Harvest Bake. 340 calories and reasonable amount of sodium. I added a few of the Trader Joe's spicy flax seed chips on top. A nice crunchy touch, and I also had a couple of ounces of salad shrimp to add a little protein as the dish is primarily veggies so a little light in protein.

Now I am listening to those snores I mentioned my previous post, so good night all.:yawn:

Barb
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I had a good workout today ... it was AquaFit again except it had a different name and was more vigorous than the last one I did. I learned from last time and didn't jar my bad leg as much.

And The Big Bang Theory isn't a repeat tonight! Oh, and the Phillies won so I don't have to listen to dh gloat.
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,
    Day 2 and I have done it again. We got up at 5 am and went to the gym. I love doing this. I hope we can keep it up. my day is mine now and anything I do is extra as far as exercise. I get more done cause I have more energy. I hope today finds all of you well. Eat right, drink your water and get moving. I will check in later. Need to eat breakfast. i am hungry.
    Vicki M
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all:flowerforyou:

Just checking in to wish everyone a wonderful day:flowerforyou: . The sun is shining here and the air is cool but the day beckons me to lace up my walking shoes and bound outside:bigsmile: I give thanks for another day and the chance to make this one and all that follow the best that I can achieve:heart:

Have a great day and here's hoping you make yourself a priority:flowerforyou:

Marie:heart:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barb, I have thought of getting a doggy door but wouldn't it let a lot of cold air in the house during the winter?

:flowerforyou: Vicki M, I totally agree with you. I feel so good after a workout. I want so bad to talk myself out of going the them but then afterwards I am so glad that I went.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barb, I have thought of getting a doggy door but wouldn't it let a lot of cold air in the house during the winter?.....

The one I have came from Home Depot. It fits in one end of my sliding door and has a magnetized catch at the bottom. Although the sides of the flap, which is flexible vinyl, fit pretty well, I narrowed the opening a bit with foam weatherstripping. It seals up pretty well.

The only time I have a problem is if we have a southerly wind, which can actually blow the door OPEN:noway: and scare the heck out of me and the dogs, because it causes the vertical blinds to slap together, and of course if you are not expecting it, THAT will get your attention in a hurry. If you are a doggie, it signals the "bogeyman" is trying to get in and calls for LOTS of barks to chase him back outside!!:laugh: :laugh:

This unit also comes with a piece that slides in place on the inside and effectively "locks" it. I use that if I am going away with the doggies. I have never had critters come through it, other than mine, but I would rather not find out they can upon returning from being out of town.!!

A friend of mine now has a cat because her neighbors kept coming in through hers, and then she decided to start feeding her....and the rest is purrrrrfect history!!:laugh:

Barb
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Wow Terri That is some great work for October. Way to go:drinker: :drinker:
    It seems like you have a good handle on 'behaving' and tracking so you should do fine while you're away. That's so exciting for you to go to another country to see your son. Mine lives in his bedroom down the hall:laugh: :laugh:

Thanks Heather!! When my sons (I have 2) aren't living in Germany and California, they can almost always be found in my basement!! Oh well, it keeps life interesting to say the least:laugh:

Thanks Barbie for the vote of confidence. Keep me in your prayers because believe it or not...I am VERY easily swayed! But, I do admit to being and doing much better than I am used to so maybe I really am turning over a new leaf!:wink:

Birdie, so sorry to hear about your MIL...your husband sounds wonderfully supportive and loving!

Welcome to new members/posters. Good luck to you on your journey to a better, healthier you.

KC...re your exercise question...do you live close to a mall and are they open before hours for mall walking? I went mall walking with my SIL in Lakewood, CA in August when we visited there. It was fun to see the other walkers, be able to exercise indoors and window shop at the same time. Go with a pal and you get to visit as well while enjoying the aforementioned perks!! We finished up the walk at the food court enjoying a cup of coffee! :drinker:

Happy Tuesday all. Hope you have a great day!:flowerforyou: Terri
  • kcfva122
    Options
    Hi, everyone,

I just love reading all your posts. What an interesting group we are! I think age builds character, so of course, we're the most interesting of all!

I just came home from voting - I walked to the polling place to get a little extra exercise.

Today and yesterday were teacher conference days. As music teacher, I didn't have very many conferences, but all the classroom teachers were required to have a 20 minute conference with each and every parent. I have been interested your comments about schools. Don't know where you guys are but looking at it from the inside, it's not like that in my district, and especially not in my school. Our students are allowed two parties a year - "winter holiday" and Valentine's Day.

At the end of every quarter there are one or two teacher days to get reports cards done and plan and have meetings, and most everyone still ends up taking work home. Just remember that most of the decisions about what goes on in the schools are made by supervisors in their ivory towers who have been out of the classroom so long they don't remember what it's like to be down in the trenches. Sometimes I think they get paid all those big bucks to sit around and think up more things for the teachers to do. Okay, I'm off my soapbox now but I was feeling a little defensive.

:smile: KC, have you ever tried listening to audiobooks while you walk? That's what I do, and I look forward to my walks so I can find out what happens next. All it takes is a portable CD player (I think I got mine somewhere like WalMart for around 12 bucks). I check out the books on CD from the public library - no expense there except when they're overdue! I think it's really too bad that you feel frightened to walk in your usual place. Is there no other place?

:cry: Birdie, I'm so sorry about your MIL. How is your hubbie doing? It must be hard on both of you. I watched my dear departed Dad go through a series of strokes. It was awful. I hope you MIL can bounce back from this one. (It took me a while to figure out what MIL was - sometimes I'm a bit slow on the uptake.)

:flowerforyou: Welcome KayT. I've only been around a couple of weeks, and this is definitely my "go to" place when I'm feeling down and tempted, or lonely and tempted, or tired and tempted, or just plain tempted. I know you will find some great support from these wonderful ladies.

:laugh: Barb, your house must be a riot with all your dogs and their idiosyncracies. I'd like to be a fly on the wall sometime!

Okay, now I have some serious sitting down and relaxing to do. Have a great evening, or whatever. It's 5:00 P.M. here.

Cheers,

Karen
  • Lianne95519
    Lianne95519 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Wow it is November already. Well I did pretty good in October with a 3 pound weight loss. I have some challenges for the next two months so my goal is modest. Lose 3 months and stick with my eating program. Find ways to burn calories within my limits and be grateful everyday for my many blessings. Amoung my blessings is this group and all of you.

We didn't have any trick or treaters but my husband did buy his (and my) :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: favorite chocolates so I did get into it them a few times. We went to a gathering and I picked up the bowl and carried it into the meeting and plopped in down in the middle of the table and encouraged everyone to take as much as they wanted. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: And they did. No more candy.

I have been up 2 pounds then down 2 pounds not really breaking out though I seem to need to settle at a new weight for a while before I go down into the next level. I was stuck at the low 160's for ever then once I got into the 150's I fought my way down/up/down/up through the 150's and that seems to be the way it is with the 140's. I am just lingering between 143 and 145 ish. More on the lower end so I'll just try to be steadfast in what I eat. My left knee has given way so no more Leslie Sansome for a while. That was my secret weapon for walking without knee pain but something changed for now. Darn being able to burn 300-400 calories and have 12000 steps on my pedometer really helped with getting to have a little bit extra and still lose weight.

Well that's all for now.
    :heart: :heart: Thanks for all your shares. I read them every night.
    Lianne:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • sheilajane
    sheilajane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Ladies,

Back to work after about a month hiatus, including a 2 week vacation to New England. Got home from work yesterday at 5:30, took a shower and went to BED at 6:30 !! Woke up at 9:30 and realized I was hungry so I had a bowl of cereal. Too tired to write or post my calorie intake. Today I'm feeling a little better but I'm still exhausted. Planning on an early dinner and retiring early again.....not 6:30, maybe I'll last until 7:30 tonight......:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm too tired to read all the posts so I hope all is well with everyone.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I love the dog stories. They always bring a chuckle to my face unless there is a sad ending in them. Actually, any animal story works for me.

A comment on people wishing that you fail instead of hoping you'll succeed...........Last summer at soccer camp these boys were giving my son a hard time cause he was sitting with all the girls at the camp. Every day one of the girls would come and and invite him to sit with them for breaks and lunch. He was really getting stressed over the teasing from the other boys and was asking his sister and I for advice over what it all meant. My daughter told him they were jealous that he could sit with the girls and they couldn't. That any one of them would jump to be invited. So the next day when the boys started to tease him he repeated his sister's comments. Sure enough that shut them up and ended it. Being jealous starts young and takes on many forms. Some times it is hard to recognize.

Have a nice evening everyone.

Jeannie
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hello All,

Glad to hear from you all. Keep up the good work and we will help one another through the holidays.

Talk to you Wed.

Lynn
  • NanaPami
    NanaPami Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just signed up today and am so excited about this website. It is so motivating to see all of the pounds that have been lost here. I'm ready for the challenge. My goal to start is just to get in here and track my food and exercise and stay within my limits. It's a start; wish me luck!. :smile:
  • healthier4me
    Options
    I just signed up today and am so excited about this website. It is so motivating to see all of the pounds that have been lost here. I'm ready for the challenge. My goal to start is just to get in here and track my food and exercise and stay within my limits. It's a start; wish me luck!. :smile:

Welcome NanaPami and best wishes for success to you:flowerforyou: This site has been so incredibly beneficial to me and I have learned so very much from all aspects. You have taken the first step, you can do it:bigsmile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Happy Tuesday,
    I just finished drinking the two glasses of water I make myself drink before I can read your posts.:drinker: :drinker: I love being in touch with all of you. This has been a busy but unremarkable day. The biggest accomplishment was knitting and watching TV while riding the exercise bike. It's not the greatest workout but it's more exercise than just sitting at the table and knitting and watching TV. I really want to knit a hat and a scarf to go with my new coat and have them ready by the time the cold weather gets here.....it could be in a few weeks.

:flowerforyou: Lianne, I'm sorry about your knee giving you more problems. You have been such a good sport about finding ways to exercise when you can't walk. How smart of you to give away the rest of the candy.

:flowerforyou: Birdie, your husband is a "keeper".......what a thoughtful thing he did with the cookies.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Barb, Jake likes to open the hide-a-bed in the living to stretch out on with the dogs and watch TV. Sometimes we leave the bed open all day for the dogs.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Kay T. welcome to the greatest group in the world . I look forward to getting to know you better.

:flowerforyou: Becky, this could be the day you get back on track and head for that weight loss. Each day can be a new beginning.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Lynn, I agree with you about people being jealous. A friend of mine who told me that I shouldn't lose any more weight, later said, that it made her look bad. That was surprisingly honest.

:flowerforyou: Terri, you "used to be" easily swayed. Now you are focused on the goal of being slim and healthy and nothing will deter you from what you want MOST.

:flowerforyou: Karen, thanks for speaking up for teachers. In the 34 years I taught, I watched standards and requirements increase and classrooms get much more focused.

:flowerforyou: Nana Pami, welcome to the greatest support group you'll ever find......I look forward to hearing more from you.

I did my walking at Costco today and didn't buy anything except hummus.:bigsmile:

Jake is on the bike and then it will be my turn.
    Sweet dreams to all and big hugs :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Good evening everyone. I am definitely back on track. And I want to thank all of you who have been so supportive of me. I am eating right and doing my exercise classes. I am seeing the scales move down once again after about two months of holding steady. I really think that taking a week off has jump started my weight lose.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hi, everyone,

I just love reading all your posts. What an interesting group we are! I think age builds character, so of course, we're the most interesting of all!....

:laugh: Barb, your house must be a riot with all your dogs and their idiosyncrasies. I'd like to be a fly on the wall sometime!

Okay, now I have some serious sitting down and relaxing to do. Have a great evening, or whatever. It's 5:00 P.M. here.

Cheers,

Karen

Karen,

Based on your first statement, I guess I am becoming more of a "character" with every passing day!!:laugh: :laugh:

As for being a "fly on the wall"--I think around here it is more likely you might be a "FLEA on the wall":laugh:

Today I was gone from 12:45p til 9:45p since this is a day where I only have 30 minutes for lunch. I came home to find no "doggie surprises" in the house--a GOOD thing:drinker: :drinker: We went out for our walk, and it was clear that everyone must have gone out the doggie door at least once during the time I was gone, as there was a lot more walking than "taking care of business"

Now everyone has had their dinner and the three of them are lying about in various positions of repose. I need to point myself in that direction soon too.

So have a good night all.

Barb
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Day 3 and we did it again. It was a shorter one though. only 40 min instead of hour. Hubby asked if we could cut it short so he could get ot work on time, so we did. I am struggling with this decision. things are complicated at his work right now so I am trying to be supportive. Like I said it is complicated but we are working on it. Just glad he has a job. I hope you all have a great day. Welcome newcomers. You will love this site. It is my salvation to weight loss. It keep s me on track and keeps me from slipping as much. Talk to you ladies later.
    Vicki M
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barb, if you are not becoming a character here at least your dogs are.:happy: Speaking of fleas....I have an unending battle with them every year. I think it is because I have two cats who come in and out all day long and are bringing them in with them. I get my Yorkie all cleaned up and the next day he has them again.

I figure that if I keep going this week as I have been that the scales will continue to fall. I really think that the week break is what I needed. I was just in a rut and needed some change. I went to Zumba last night and will be going to my strength class tonight. This is the class where you find all the muscles in your body that you didn't know that you had. Ouch !!! Anyway, I am sure that my metabolism will be zooming with all the muscles that I am building up.

I am at work at this time. Came in early to read the thread. So much easier here than to have to fight for my turn with my home computer. As soon as I get enough money I plan on getting my computer a new mother board and then I will be back in business.:smile:
  • healthier4me
    Options
    Good Wednesday morning:flowerforyou:

Off to the city for my physio apt but I wanted to check in here first. I am bubbling over with excitement because I am meeting up with a friend that I haven't seen in about 5 years:bigsmile: Should be a good chat fest:laugh: Here's hoping everyone has a great day and you do something nice for yourself:flowerforyou: