Food you thought weren't too bad until you logged them?

Options

Replies

• jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Four Loko. Oh man, 680 calories, are you kidding me? And it's not even that much ethanol calories either, too much sugar! As they say, candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Any turkey burger at a restaurant!! Horrid!

OMG, I got a turkey burger from a fast food restaurant once, thinking I was making a "healthy" choice. Turns out, it was worse for me than a burger and tasted like crap! I think it's criminal when they advertise turkey burgers as a healthy alternative to beef. Most of the time, it's a big fat NOT.

Try Red Robin's turkey burger in a lettuce wrap. It's delicious, low calorie and not that high in sodium. Did I mention it's delcious?
  • cczar
    cczar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This sounds completely ridiculous - but chocolate!!!! :tongue: I was an absolute choc-a-holic - I would easily eat a chocolate a day! When I started realising how many calories it contained compared to my dinner, that was it for me. I haven't had a chocolate in about a month - I just dont crave it any more - the calories are just not worth it!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I was surprised by:
    -Wine
    -Hummus
    -Bananas
    -Pasta, really surprising to me. I usually ate probably 4 to 5 servings before logging. Had no idea that just with the pasta alone, that's probably 1000 to 1200 calories, not including the sauce and other stuff I'd add like meat. Geez!
    -I guess most starchy stuff surprises me how it's loaded with cals and how much I would eat.
  • holley75
    holley75 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was surprised at the subway sandwiches being higher in calorie than expected. Not a big deal but when your counting each calorie toe putting in your mouth it adds up.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    veggie pizza slice from Pizza Pizza... thought it was the better alternative than pepperoni or classic... nah! just as bad! should have just had the meat one!
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Any turkey burger at a restaurant!! Horrid!

OMG, I got a turkey burger from a fast food restaurant once, thinking I was making a "healthy" choice. Turns out, it was worse for me than a burger and tasted like crap! I think it's criminal when they advertise turkey burgers as a healthy alternative to beef. Most of the time, it's a big fat NOT.

YIKES - I order turker burgers a lot but usually from places that aren't chains so they don't always have the calorie information and so I just log it as a jennie-0 turkey burger. Guess I need to rethink that :(
  • ms_walker
    ms_walker Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Ha! My whole thought process! I thought my lunch was great--chicken salad sandwich, yogurt with granola and chips! I started logging recently because a friend, nicely, said... "If you like how you look, you don't need to change anything." okay then, so I started logging and realized my lunch alone was over 800 calories. I was seriously shocked at how in denial I was! Just posted my lunch at it is under 400....
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I agree with a PP that it wasn't necessarily how many cals a particular serving of food was, it was how many calories there were in my "interpretation" of a serving.
    My portion sizes were out of control totally. A bowl of my usual cereal wouldn't actually be too bad...if I hadn't been eating 3 servings.
    A bowl of spaghetti bolognese? Not actually too bad if you make it from scratch with wholewheat pasta. Eating 3 servings with white pasta? Horrific.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Ribs!! how can something with so little meat have so many dang calories?
    Does not matter.....BBQ Ribs are sacred. Any calories from ribs I HAPPILY run off :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQc6kntUII4f6LfJzKcmeWGY47UXDzBlmWOC6IBhqmZAgXCz_N

Or in your case Amen Sista!:smokin:
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    this is why i pre-log as much as possible
    I do this when I know I'm going to drink alcohol or have dessert so I can plan the rest of my day around it.

I was surprised how many calories feta cheese and bananas have. I don't even like bananas, I thought they were a good pre-gym snack. Come to find out they are high in sugar as well. So I went back to having a slice of bread before the gym so I don't feel lightheaded but still have the energy to make it through class.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I couldn't believe the calories in this puppy....

bacon-wrapped-twinkie-stonehenge-demotivational-poster-1222773370.jpg

LOL - maybe i should train for a marathon - run the marathon and then eat this as a reward ;)
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I haven't been shocked by foods themselves, it's more the portion sizes. Restaurant portions in particular are like, three meals worth in one plate. It's insane.

I've often told my girlfriend that they should create single portion alternatives as their "healthy" menu, and price them slightly lower. Portion sizes creeping up are not helpful at all!
  • Anna800
    Options
    I also easily max out my daily sugar allowance on sugar, still undecided on whether to cut back on that or not.
  • betho217
    betho217 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I couldn't figure out where all my sugar was coming from...turns out my organic lowfat yogurt had 98% of my sugar goal for the entire day!

Yes! I'm going to have to change what I eat for breakfast. Thought I was doing so well by eating organic yogurt and Kashi cereal for breakfast but that puts me at my sugar limit for the day by 8:30 am! Very eye opening.
  • Anna800
    Options
    I haven't been shocked by foods themselves, it's more the portion sizes. Restaurant portions in particular are like, three meals worth in one plate. It's insane.

I've often told my girlfriend that they should create single portion alternatives as their "healthy" menu, and price them slightly lower. Portion sizes creeping up are not helpful at all!

When I go to Thai restaurants I always ask my dining partner to share one entree with me.
  • chazsucks
    chazsucks Posts: 170
    Options
    Everything I used to eat...
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    anything at Chili's... even the "light" dishes!
    Applebee's, too.
    I ordered the Fiesta Lime Chicken, since it was chicken, rice, black beans and veggies - all fairly healthy stuff.
    OVER 1200 CALORIES, two-thirds of my daily calorie goal.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    My wife and i went to O'Charleys the other night and i saw the Cajun Chicken Pasta had 1700+ Calories in it. Then you get some sides with it. That is just uncalled for!