So tired of hearing....

Options
women say that they are afraid of lifting heavy in fear of bulking up!!! Women do not have the testosterone to bulk up like men do. Further, do they have ANY freaking idea what it takes to gain even a single pound of muscle?! It is so frustrating!!! A woman would be genetically gifted to add 5 pounds of pure muscle in one year. Okay, I'm done...thank you!

Replies

• ddrop
    ddrop Posts: 6
    Options
    lol! I agree one hundered percent.

Lift heavy, look sexy. Period.
  • Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Good post AngieMurgo... couldn't agree more.
    And ddrop... i want a t-shir with your statement :) Lift heavy, look sexy. Period.
    Love it!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    SERIOUSLY.

But, honestly, I think that most of the time, it's just one of their excuses to NOT put in the effort to exercise.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    SERIOUSLY.

But, honestly, I think that most of the time, it's just one of their excuses to NOT put in the effort to exercise.

^^^^^^^^^^^
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    Hmm! Some women do have more testosterone eg in PCOS so what you say isn't true for everyone.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    Hmm! Some women do have more testosterone eg in PCOS so what you say isn't true for everyone.

Funny that you mention it, I actually have PCOS, and unfortunately haven't found that it's given me an edge, at all.
  • emmyburton
    emmyburton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think what most women don't understand is that they feel bulky b/c there is a layer of fat on top of their muscle. If they just stick with lifting and doing some cardio that layer of fat will go away much quicker than cardio alone.
    And it's intimidating at first to be around all these buff people when you stand out like a sore thumb because you don't have a freaking clue what your doing.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Funny that you mention it, I actually have PCOS, and unfortunately haven't found that it's given me an edge, at all.

Even if a woman had around 300-400dcl's of free testosterone she would need to eat in excess of her maintenance calories to really start gaining any mass. I'm not even sure what a woman's free test is typically, 200dcl's is on the low-side for men.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I wish I could add muscle easily! My trainer told me that a lot of female clients at the gym don't like to work with male trainers because they're afraid the boys will make them lift heavy and bulk up. I hate hearing stuff like that.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to try "lifting heavy" my question is is this something you have to go to the gym for? I don't have a membership and do all of my workouts at home. Is there a way to achieve results with lifting heavy with at home equipment?
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Yep it's pretty silly. Women see the freaky female bodybuilders on stage and think that weights are going to make them look like that. It's the equivalent of saying "I don't want to play basketball with the guys because I might accidentally end up in the NBA"
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to try "lifting heavy" my question is is this something you have to go to the gym for? I don't have a membership and do all of my workouts at home. Is there a way to achieve results with lifting heavy with at home equipment?

Yes. The most space efficient way is with a few pairs of kettlebells. If you have the room for it then you could get a power cage and bench.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options

Yes. The most space efficient way is with a few pairs of kettlebells. If you have the room for it then you could get a power cage and bench.

Kettlebells really? I would never have thought of that I just assumed dumbells. I do have the room for bench/cage. Thank you!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Kettlebells really? I would never have thought of that I just assumed dumbells. I do have the room for bench/cage. Thank you!

That's all you really need then, especially if the cage has a pull-up bar/grips as well. You can do all the major compound lifts with just those 2 pieces of equipment (and plates, of course).
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    women say that they are afraid of lifting heavy in fear of bulking up!!! Women do not have the testosterone to bulk up like men do. Further, do they have ANY freaking idea what it takes to gain even a single pound of muscle?! It is so frustrating!!! A woman would be genetically gifted to add 5 pounds of pure muscle in one year. Okay, I'm done...thank you!

Dam I couldn't stop staring at your nice abs in your profile pic :laugh: ...but anyways I am tired of hearing, "Do I eat my exercise calories or not"!!!!! arggggggg there are about 100 topic posts about it. I have when 5'6" 120 lb model looking girls go, "Oh my god, I am so fat!"

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I am just getting started with the whole lifting heavy. I am really excited about it!

When I told my boyfriend I was going to do that, he also told me to watch out and not get too bulky. Apparently everyone think that, not just women.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options

I am reading NROLFW and can't wait to lift heavy, but people look at me like I am nuts when I say this.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing the same topics...

Someone above said it well. For many, it's just the excuse they use to not put in the work. For the rest, it's complete ignorance.
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think once i finish my turbofire workouts im going to start lifting more often. More definition! Its amazing how it changes some womens bodies. And not look bulky!
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Im sooooo tired of people thinking everyone needs to lift heavy :laugh:

Maybe even the amount of muscle you gain from heavy lifting, even if its not body builder status, is too much or unappealing to some.

Worry about your own goals :flowerforyou: