Vegetarianism. Seriously? (A Debate)

Options

Replies

• gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    OP, after reading through this thread you seem like a pretty reasonable and personable guy, just to get that out of the way. I'll also include the obligatory "I'm not one of those BAD EVIL PUSHY type vegans who wants EVERYONE TO BE JUST LIKE THEM", because it's true. I'm really not. But I'm also not going to pretend that this is just a "to each their own" kind of issue like a lot of people in the thread are, because I don't really think it is for most people who sincerely take the time to try to think about and answer it.

I think when it comes down to it and all joking aside, most people subscribe at least generally to the notion that we as individuals shouldn't be the cause of unnecessary harm in the world. We just don't like to think of the things we personally like to do as causing harm or as unnecessary.

The basic ethical argument is that just because we might /like/ to dominate fellow animals that are capable of thinking and suffering (though for the most part obviously not approaching humans' degree of rationality or self-awareness), kill them, and use their bodies to make food, clothing, cell phone cases, etc doesn't mean we /ought/ to, especially in a first world country in the 21st century where we don't /need/ to. We need to use living things for at least some of those purposes, sure, but we live in a time and place where we can choose plant or mineral based materials made from things that are demonstrably incapable of thinking or suffering in the way that animals are.

It does seem plausible to say that at some point in the past and/or in some parts of the world having meat and dairy in one's diet might be a nutritional necessity for humans because of geographical limitations, resource scarcity, limited knowledge about nutrition, etc, but I would guess that it has never been the case for a single person posting in this thread for as long as they've lived. It can be legitimately hard to internalize after a lifetime of having animal-eating reinforced by everything and everyone around you, but just because we've evolved this far as omnivores doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't individually adjust our "natural" behaviors for cultural or ethical reasons. There are many "natural" parts of our evolutionary heritage that we have found reason to broadly reject as unacceptable: genocide, rape, people as property, cannibalism, random aggression, theft, and kicking puppies, just to name a few.

And, by the way, that antibiotic-laced, ammonia-cleaned, and growth-hormone-engineered machine-shaped frozen burger patty, cut from from a test-tube-bred cow fed via conveyer belt with genetically modified corn husks, on a refined white bread bun made with hydrogenated oil and sweetened with high fructose corn syrup, sitting next to fries made from a potato that is legally regulated as a pesticide? Not exactly "natural" either.

Without the nature/necessity argument, it seems that the only remaining reasons to eat meat are (1) social convention and/or habit dictate that we should (i.e. it's more convenient for us in our specific time and place) and (2) because we enjoy the taste (though for most people it seems like just not eating meat for awhile makes the thought of doing so pretty repellant). Both of those frankly seem like pretty shaky reasons when weighed against the killing and/or suffering of literally billions of animals, shady meat and dairy industry practices, heart disease, colon and prostate cancer, etc.

Just my two cents, you know, since you asked.

THAT'S WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR!!!!!! Nicely posted.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    so when the day comes that its economical to grow cows, chickens etc.. without brains that will take away the ethical reasons right? since they wont think/feel pain.
  • gchutson
    Options
    so when the day comes that its economical to grow cows, chickens etc.. without brains that will take away the ethical reasons right? since they wont think/feel pain.

We've been doing that with Democrats for years. KIDDING... JUST KIDDING. haha.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Laces, a lot of non-meat-eaters avoid meat because of human rights concerns about the meatpacking industry. It's not wholly about the treatment of the animals.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Laces, a lot of non-meat-eaters avoid meat because of human rights concerns about the meatpacking industry. It's not wholly about the treatment of the animals.

yikes...if you are worried about the packaging/processing that would eliminate most veg and fruit companies too right?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ok... so, question.

If being vegetarian / vegan makes you "happier and healthier," why are so many vegetarians angry and defensive?

(I said "many," not "all.")

Question for you - out of all the posts where vegetarians have very politely and eloquently discussed their reasons for being vegetarian, with only a handful of 'meat is murder' type posts and a few actually debating the issue (politely), why the statement that many vegetarians are angry and defensive?

Or, are you basing it on your experiences outside of this thread? if so, tt might, just might have something to do with peoples reactions when someone is starting a 'debate' with the premise of "Anyone care to debate the benefits / drawbacks of vegetarianism VS yummy, yummy meat with me?"
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    My logic, and the fact that I watch way too many documentaries, states that homo sapiens were designed as omnivores for a reason. In order to maintain optimum body performance we need a certain amount of the iron, minerals, fats, and proteins found exclusively in meats. I sometimes have a hard time seeing how vegetarians get these essential nutrients without having to add manufactured supplements to their diet. Maybe I'm missing something?

I easily get over 130g of protein with no protein powder as long as I pay attention to what I am eating. It's really not that hard. It is my understanding that all micronutients needed by the body can be obtained from a vegetarian diet, but if worried all you need to do is take little itty bitty multi-vitamin.

all it takes is a mutlivitamin???? Wow....really??? Come on now. I work in a hospital. Did you know that when a vegan has surgery, we all groan. Why? because they take twice as long to heal. Even the ones that follow the diet carefully, and take "itty bitty multi vitamins" have this issue. If you don't eat meat for moral reasons that is yoru choice, but please.....it is not biologically prudent for human beings, who are natural omnivores, to eat vegan.

Please read the post - I was talking about vegetarians.

ETA: please tell me the deficiencies that wil be experienced by a vegetarian, outside those that can also be experienced by a meat-eater
  • gchutson
    Options
    Ok... so, question.

If being vegetarian / vegan makes you "happier and healthier," why are so many vegetarians angry and defensive?

(I said "many," not "all.")

Question for you - out of all the posts where vegetarians have very politely and eloquently discussed their reasons for being vegetarian, with only a handful of 'meat is murder' type posts and a few actually debating the issue (politely), why the statement that many vegetarians are angry and defensive?

Or, are you basing it on your experiences outside of this thread? if so, tt might, just might have something to do with peoples reactions when someone is starting a 'debate' with the premise of "Anyone care to debate the benefits / drawbacks of vegetarianism VS yummy, yummy meat with me?"

Mostly, it's just me being a big meanie-head.
  • gchutson
    Options

I skipped over this one... on Page 8 alone, one Veggie questioned my competency as an attorney. And another one explained that I take steroids, and would likely die soon of heart failure.

;)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I skipped over this one... on Page 8 alone, one Veggie questioned my competency as an attorney. And another one explained that I take steroids, and would likely die soon of heart failure.

;)

Point - but I would not call that many compared to the folks who were not.
  • gchutson
    Options

;)

But... that was just "Page 8." lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

;)

But... that was just "Page 8." lol

Not a statistical sample - I took random pages (2 & 5) - no insults there, just 'joking digs' from yourself.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    OP- I think I heard the paleo people next door talking about how they feel left out and want to "debate" (read defend) their diet, too.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    MEAT! MEAT! MEAT!
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 24 years, from ages 14-38. For me it was because I simply did not like meat. I never liked it as a child, and was forced to eat it growing up. I raised my kids vegetarian and everything (husband was not vegetarian though, but he ate what we did). 2 years ago my youngest son wanted to try meat, and since I felt he was old enough to decide, I let him. He loves meat LOL. Because I am so attached to my kids I felt compelled to try a little meat too...and discovered it wasn't as gross as I remembered. However I cannot eat red meat (beef, pork, lamb. etc), it makes me physically sick. So now I just eat birds and seafood in addition to my regular vegetarian diet.

I do believe eating no meat or little meat significantly reduces the interior and exterior wear and tear on your body. Plus you are more likely to consume and ENJOY fruit, vegetables, and legumes. For children raised vegetarian, it sets a foundation for life for healthy eating. All of my kids love healthy food, they don't have that distaste for veggies that seems common in American children.

I would never tell anyone they SHOULD be vegetarian, but I do think most people (at least in the states) eat too much meat. You can never go wrong in reducing how much meat you eat, but eating too much meat can actually hurt you.

Beautiful!!

tumblr_m0lr9lMWPw1r3zat8.gif
  • sdoldsMD2013
    sdoldsMD2013 Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm definitely a meat-eater. I've tried vegetarianism on a few occasions, but I could never stick with it because I don't want to limit myself and there's so much great food out there that has meat in it. I do have veggies with just about every meal, but I will never cut meat out of my diet again. :-)
  • MNPierce80
    MNPierce80 Posts: 21
    Options
    My decision was based on shaking up my diet and learning about the amount of hormones animals are pumped with before they are slaughtered for meat. I learned that as a woman that would like to have kids, the amount of meat I'm taking in could effect that. So I'm giving up meat and I will compare my hormonal blood tests that my doctor took months ago to see if giving up meat has helped to balance my body's hormone levels.
  • Secondgoround
    Options
    Just to put in my two cents: I eat chicken or fish maybe 3-4 times a week. I don't consider myself a vegetarian because I don't care for labels. From when I was a little kid, I haven't liked the flavor or texture of cow or pig. I consider it a personal preference and I don't judge other people for what they do or do not eat. It's not a moral and spiritual decision or even one from a health viewpoint. Just don't care for the stuff.
  • MNPierce80
    MNPierce80 Posts: 21
    Options
    I thought the same, but I did a lot of research and I'm actually learning to branch out a little more now.
This discussion has been closed.