• DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    XOXOXOXOXO
    You rock!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Can I just say how much I've enjoyed this post. These forums can mess with your head if you let them.
    Thanks for posting.
    Here's a question; having read hundreds of posts I can see that the general consensus is that cardio does nothing for weight loss and I should be lifting weights. I currently do step cardio mixed with interval training (using 5lb weights).
    What I need help understanding is how the calories I burn doing cardio doesn't contribute to my weight loss? I have a lot of weight to lose so I don't feel I need to eat all my exercise calories back (most weeks I don't touch them). Surely the additional calories that that the cardio gives me adds into my overall calorie deficit?
    For example, if I am eating at a 3500 weekly calorie deficit and I burn an additional 3500 cals with cardio, would that not equate to a 2 lb weight loss over the week?
    Also, from what I've read on these forums, it takes a lot of work to even build 1lb of muscle (which I've read would help me burn an additional 50 cals per day) and initially you might see a weight gain due to water retention as the muscles rest and repair.
    Plus, I've read on here that when you try to log weight lifting you don't seem to burn many calories actually doing it.
    Don't get me wrong, I believe that weights are the way to go, I just don't fully understand the way it works better than cardio.
    Any help would be appreciated as I have respect for your post and feel like you talk a lot of sense...
    X
    Cardio ISN'T needed for weight loss, but calorie deficit is. Cardio helps to burn more calories and helps to SPEED up weight loss because it can create a LARGER CALORIE DEFICIT. But you would still lose weight on a calorie deficit without cardio or strength training.
    That said, I personally employ for myself and clients programs that include both because of benefits and because both have the advantage to increase fitness and physical appearance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Damn corn.

Thanks Sidesteal!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So you don't recommend any cardiovascular exercise at all?

I agree with most of your points, but I think cardiovascular fitness is pretty damn important. And I don't especially want to lift weights. I assume you are talking to me. I don't lift weights, I do have muscle definition. Maybe I am not human. Or maybe there is more to life than lumps of metal.
    He never said that. All he said is that cardio isn't needed for weight loss. And I'll state further that weight lifting isn't either. Preference of what IS important on achieving weight loss differs from person to person.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Whitney_J
    Whitney_J Posts: 8
    Options
    Great post... But I still don't know what to do about corn using my husband's man parts as a speedbag. This is the only thing that comes up on google for that dilemma!

Seriously, though, awesome post!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I agree with most of your points, but I think cardiovascular fitness is pretty damn important. And I don't especially want to lift weights. I assume you are talking to me. I don't lift weights, I do have muscle definition. Maybe I am not human. Or maybe there is more to life than lumps of metal.
    He never said that. All he said is that cardio isn't needed for weight loss. And I'll state further that weight lifting isn't either. Preference of what IS important on achieving weight loss differs from person to person.

^ This is correct. It would be more accurate for me to say "Get some exercise, ideally use some resistance training" instead of "lift weights". You can lose weight with deficit alone, but I would recommend some form of exercise to pretty much everyone, it's a matter of finding the type of training that fits your goals.

To expand on this however, I think that people do not understand the impact that resistance training has nor do they typically understand that cardio and deficit eating without resistance training will typically not give them the body they thought they'd have, and this last point is why I would favor resistance training over cardio for most applications -- but of course this isn't an either-or scenario.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    When most of you have cancer, Alzheimers, and heart disease when you are 58 years old, don't say we didn't tell you so.

Yeah, you may weigh a good weight, but that doesn't mean you are healthy on the cellular level.
    Lol, I have 10 years left then. Every physical I've had shows that I have an "age" fitness level and health level equivalent to people almost 20 years younger. Thanks for your logical input.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    And... just because someone posts it on MFP and a bunch of people agree doesn't make it true, either. Just sayin'. :)
    Ah, but the person who did post it can scientifically back it up. If you know him, then it's fair to say that what he posts is with actual correct info.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Lillyeatslillies
    Options
    OMG :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: this post
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    And... just because someone posts it on MFP and a bunch of people agree doesn't make it true, either. Just sayin'. :)
    Ah, but the person who did post it can scientifically back it up. If you know him, then it's fair to say that what he posts is with actual correct info.

IDEA Fitness member

Sometimes I'm full of *kitten* of course =)

The whole point of this post was simplicity, patience, and removing the extraneous crap. If anyone does take specific issue with any points listed, I will discuss. Although if someone comes back with:

"Prove that my juicing IS NOT detoxing" I will ask you to prove that it IS.

A lot of this list is refuting things that were BS to begin with, in my opinion.

I'm all for learning. Don't agree with what's on here? Tell me why.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    bump these words of wisdom for later :)
  • leehenryfox
    leehenryfox Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm emailing this to friends, and printing it off as my new mantra.

Thank you SO much for returning a sense of perspective :-)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm full of *kitten* of course =)

Eating a lot of corn will take care of that.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's pretty clear everyone here wants to justify their conveniences instead of accepting facts. I didn't realize I was allergic to avocado until this year. Been allergic my whole life but never knew it. It got so bad, suddenly, doctor said I need to carry an epi pen. Our bodies do change throughout our lives and allergies can better and worsen.

So clearly, in your case you should avoid avocados. This certainly doesn't mean everyone should.

What are you specifically taking issue with?
    They're taking issue with something because all the myths that have been propogated by the food and supplement industries simply cannot all be false!

Excellent post Sidesteal.

Actually, "they" (including me) are taking issue to the myth that was propagated on the first page (not by OP) that one cannot become suddenly allergic to gluten. That's a dangerous and confusing myth to promote. To repeat, neither of us disputed that there is no evidence that a gluten free diet is beneficial to someone without a gluten allergy/sensitivity/intolerance/AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE, but we did dispute the incorrect information that gluten allergies cannot develop suddenly.

I hope that helps, IronAnimal, seeing as how the food industry has very little to gain by turning people off of gluten, seeing as how it is in just about everything. Yes, you can sell some people some gluten free products for a higher price. Not enough to justify claiming that we are falling for food and supplement propaganda. I'm also not sure I see the value in the food industry tricking the other poster in to believing he is allergic to avocado, but ... YMMV.
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    I really agree with your post! I find that people are making things way too complicated. I am not watching my calories but I am eating small portions more throughout the day, exercising, and lifting weights and the weight is coming off. People act like you need to be a scientist to lose weight but its really simple, actually. Stop overthinking it!
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Right on :drinker:
  • dnunny
    dnunny Posts: 125
    Options
    This was interesting to read. I was beginning to think that I was sooooooooo out of the loop on weight loss, since it has been years since I really put effort and thought into it.

Many, many years ago I lost about about 80-90lbs. There was no magic pill or soup or body wrap. It was keeping track of what I ate and moving (exercising). I gained it all back and then more. Why? I simply stopped taking care of me. I didn't portion control and exercise was a curse word.

Thanks for posting!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's pretty clear everyone here wants to justify their conveniences instead of accepting facts. I didn't realize I was allergic to avocado until this year. Been allergic my whole life but never knew it. It got so bad, suddenly, doctor said I need to carry an epi pen. Our bodies do change throughout our lives and allergies can better and worsen.

So clearly, in your case you should avoid avocados. This certainly doesn't mean everyone should.

What are you specifically taking issue with?
    They're taking issue with something because all the myths that have been propogated by the food and supplement industries simply cannot all be false!

Excellent post Sidesteal.

Actually, "they" (including me) are taking issue to the myth that was propagated on the first page (not by OP) that one cannot become suddenly allergic to gluten. That's a dangerous and confusing myth to promote. To repeat, neither of us disputed that there is no evidence that a gluten free diet is beneficial to someone without a gluten allergy/sensitivity/intolerance/AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE, but we did dispute the incorrect information that gluten allergies cannot develop suddenly.

I hope that helps, IronAnimal, seeing as how the food industry has very little to gain by turning people off of gluten, seeing as how it is in just about everything. Yes, you can sell some people some gluten free products for a higher price. Not enough to justify claiming that we are falling for food and supplement propaganda. I'm also not sure I see the value in the food industry tricking the other poster in to believing he is allergic to avocado, but ... YMMV.
    I wasn't personally referencing you. And I do believe food allergies and intolerances were listed as exceptional circumstances in the original post.