How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Wow.. thanks so much for posting this thread!! It made me breath a sigh of relief.... I had my 1st when I was almost 21, lived lift.. divorced.. and have now remarried just a month ago, my hubby is younger than me and has no kids... so we plan to have at least one and being that I am turning 35 in a few months I was beginning to worry about being "too old" to have another one.. but reading this gives me hope :) thanks!!
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I don't have any babies yet, unfortunately. But my mom had us at 18, 23 and 27.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You are so YOUNG! Have fun, be silly, make memories with your husband. Then, if you want a family, you still have plenty of time.

I was 25 (almost 26) when I had my son, and we had only been married 3 months when I found out we were expecting. Completely unexpected. We had planned to wait a couple more years. I don't regret my son, but I do sometimes wish I had just had some time to concentrate solely on my husband and our new life together first. We dated for 2 years before we married, so we had that time together.. so I guess it worked out okay.

Having a child is awesome, but it is also hard, and is a 24/7 job that you can never "quit". Get some traveling, some late night dancing, so spur of the moment beach trips, get these all in before you try for the baby.. and then you'll never wonder, and you'll enjoy your baby so much!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I'll be 31 when I have this one. Most of my friends are having kids now (and almost none had them really young). Of course we all finished school, got jobs, married, etc. before trying to have children. Seemed like an easier way to go for all involved.
  • rubytOU
    rubytOU Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I was 34 when I had my son. We are planning on trying for #2 at the end of the summer... so if I get pregnant fairly easily then I will be 38 when that baby is born (hopefully)...
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    23 and 27... would have waited longer.. get what you want done first. education, life accomplishments in general because after kids, my life is devoted to them and what they need.
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I was 34 when I had my first, 36 when I had my second. I wasn't ready for kids in my 20's ... but the downside is that we probably would have had more if we hadn't waited so long (married 11 years before kids).
    If you aren't sure that you're ready, wait. You have lots of time :)
  • ttillman19
    ttillman19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant with my son at 29 and delivered at 30. We are only having one child, so it was not bad. I got to do all the things I wanted to fun wise before I got pregnant. I think it is a good idea to wait until like 25. That way you have time to party, do nonkid friendly trips, etc. I also think it is improtant to wait until you are very secure in your relationship. Having a good way to support a child is also a good idea and a safe healthy place for them to stay. You are correct that everything in your life will change with a child. You are no longer #1. However if you wait until the perfect job, perfect house, large sum of money, etc you could be waiting for ever. I think at 21 you are just getting to know who you are, what you want, and what your partner wants. DO NOT have kids just because everyone else is. That is not going to help your relationship with your partner and can cause you to resent your child in a some ways for ending what you wanted in life.
  • akamisscrawford
    Options
    I was 27 for my first born, and 30 for my second. Happy I waited, I sooooooo was not ready when i was younger.
  • LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I was married at 18, had my son at 19 and my daughter 10 days before my 22nd birthday. I had a great husband to raise these two wonderful children with. Things got bumpy after our divorce but we have made it work for the kids.

Now they are 15 and 12 (both with birthdays in July). I wouldn't change it for the world.

Is it for everyone? Probably not but I love being a young Mom and I truly have some really great kids. I have never been their "friend" either, a lot of people think that with being a young Mom = Mom/Friend.

If it was my kids wanting to have kids at 21, I would probably encourage them to wait until their mid to late 20's. I know things don't always work out like they have for me. I am not saying it is perfect but it has been pretty awesome.

Side note: I am lucky to have fallen into a great career that allows me to financially support them and myself. That is so very important because they can be very expensive! Keep that in mind. Good luck with your decision, maybe wait a few more years!
  • zbyoung
    zbyoung Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My first was born when I was 34 (almost 35); my second three years later, and I'm pregnant with my 3rd at age 47.

Parenting is even more rewarding and wonderful than we expected. Had we realized, we might have started earlier. On the other hand, if you feel like you might not be ready, you might really not be ready.

I think early 20s is very early for babies, myself. In fact, every single person I know who married in their early 20s is now divorced (including people from my parents' generation). That doesn't mean that every young marriage will fail, of course, not by any means! But to me, it points out how difficult it can be to make major life decisions in your early 20s. Waiting a few years won't do any harm, and you will feel more secure in your decision (and possibly in your relationship, job, finances, etc.) if you do wait.
  • DarkNebula84
    DarkNebula84 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I was 16 when I got pregnant with my daughter and 22 with my son. I would not go back and change a single thing. Everything that has happened in my life has made me a stronger person and has opened my eyes, I love with all I have and my kids are my true blessings. I wouldn't want my life to be any other way. People have judged me for being a teenage mom but that is on them, this is my life and I love every day of it. :heart:
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm 23, been with my bf for 6 years.
    Bought a house, have stable careers & have enough saved up, have done a lot of traveling...the whole damn family is practically begging us to have kids at the moment.
    In fact on father's day, they all started chanting "make a baby! make a baby! make a baby!"

Personally though, I think it would be best to wait. As prepared as I think we are, I think it would be better if we waited a little bit longer and have as much fun as we can have without kids right now. I'd want to make sure I was in super duper awesome shape and was naturally getting massive amounts of folic acid before we started trying. And I guess I'm old fashioned and would prefer to have a ring on my finger first as well.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    My daughter was born the day after my 31st birthday.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
  • krissyliz78
    krissyliz78 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    23 with my son and 27 with my daughter.....I love when my son says he has a hot mom!!!
  • Time4tee
    Time4tee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter at 18. She will be 21 tomorrow. There are pro and cons to having kids early or late. Do what is best for you. At this age now 39 I am glad I have all the "find a babysitter stuff out of the way." Also what kind of support system do you have in place. Raising children is more than just finances.
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter 9 months ago, @ 25 yrs old :) Great timing for me anyways!
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter when I was 18. I'm almost 23 now and trying for the next one.