What foods do your co-workers eat?

Options

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Once a month my team gets together and hosts a recipe sampling. It's a mini feast. I first identify the proteins options available and make a plan. Honestly there's usually an abundance of sugary dessert and potato dishes. When something looks good I taste or sample reminding myself that I'm at a sampling. Everyone else seems to eat and eat some more while talking about how they should be losing weight. It's ok, one day each of them will begin to change their behavior to match what they are saying. And I keep telling them about MFP :-)
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    I worl in a typical corporate enviroment...I was suprised to see that most of the people in the offices around me eat very healthy foods. I think its Colorado Springs in general. at least two thirds of the people I know are healthy. It helps so much to be surrounded by people who eat well and exercise daily. A huge motivator. :tongue:
  • mommyof3boyzzz
    mommyof3boyzzz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    DONUTS!! The pharmacy in our building has fresh donuts from a local bakery delivered every morning and until now I was with the pack of coworkers heading to the pharmacy every morning for a donut...and cappuccino...and cheetos....etc., etc. Now I stay firmly planted at my desk with my yogurt and oatmeal!
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    MY thoughts EXACTLY!!! When we have potlucks or catered lunches this is what I think of every time- little piggies lining up for their feeding.
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem Lup120, people at university/work say things to me like 'you don't eat' or 'you pigging out? don't make me laugh!'. It annoys me because I have had alot of issues with food and binge eating and it just draws attention to it which I hate!!! they think that their diet is normal and I am a control freak who is always dieting!! But there's no such thing as a 'normal' diet everyone is different!! :smile:
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Our kitchen is stocked with candy, cookies, ice cream and donuts in the freezer, etc. My co-workers usually leave here and go eat lunch at a local taco truck or chinese buffet or one of the 'upscale' places that has a crab cake lunch with 2800mgs of sodium in it. If they stay, they usually just nuke a lean cuisine or two and eat it at their desk. How can they not want to eat 600 cals of clean healthy food. I mean sure, somethimes I'm running out of the house and grab the wrong container from the fridge and get to work with weird left overs and I have an emergency stash of a couple of frozen meals, but I can't do that everyday. My co-workers always say, "OMG your lunch looks so pretty and smells so good". I keep thinking, "Yeah...... like real food?" I don't have a lot of time in my day between work, the commute to and from, kids, and chores, but I make time to cook a healthy meal for dinner then after my kids are in bed, while doing other chores, I cook my lunch for the next day (usually using left overs from dinner if at all possible, I don't like to waste stuff) and I get my breakfast together... portion out snacks, etc. They call me a 'hobo' when I come in to work everyday with my purse, keys, badge, phone, coffee, lunch bag and workout bag draped on me, but I'd rather be that than still be 327 lbs. and barely able to walk up stairs to my desk!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    The guys in my office make a weekly pilgrimage to Smashburger, and a couple of times they've convinced me to go with them. Each time, I tell them ahead of time that I'm going to order a salad, and they goodnaturedly berate me all the way there about how we're going to a BURGER place and I'm ordering a SALAD.

When my salad arrives, every single one of them seems to deflate a little as they comment on how good the salad looks.

HAH!
  • jenguhl
    jenguhl Posts: 79
    Options
    I just watched my co-worker eat a ham and cheese sandwich, a Stouffer's mac & cheese (not an individual side), Green Giant brocolli spears in butter, and three snack size Butterfinger bars.FOR LUNCH! I felt guilty eat a Lean Cuisine because it's a processed meal, holy cow!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker who eats "salads" (I use the term loosely here), and honestly believes she is making a healthy choice. The problem is these "salads" usually consist mostly of iceberg lettuce (leaf lettuces are healthier), very few raw veggies (MAYBE a couple of cherry tomatoes and a couple slices of cucumber), tons of diced ham, black olives, cheese, croutons, bacon, etc..., then she DROWNS it in ranch dressing. I just wanna scream, "YOU'D BE BETTER OFF EATING A MCD'S CHEESEBURGER!!" Not that I would suggest she ACTUALLY eat fast food, I'm just saying that there is probably less fat and calories in the cheeseburger. A healthy salad is almost all veggies (except for maybe a few slices of grilled chicken), lots of leafy lettuce or spinach, tomatoes, raw broccoli/cauliflower, cucumbers, bell peppers (red, green, orange, or yellow), carrot, etc... and a little olive oil and salad vinegar.
  • laurajordana
    laurajordana Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    There's this guy at my work who is pretty fit and used to be a personal trainer but brings in donuts or bagels almost every Friday wtf
    That is the TRUTH Ambrwaves27!!!! There is always cake in the breakroom that someone brings literally almost every day Monday - Friday!!! I just have to totally ignore it and just get my coffee and go back to my desk while my other 15 co-workers are getting cake and coffee!!! UGH!!! :explode:
  • xxempress
    xxempress Posts: 122
    Options
    I try to encourage my colleagues to make healthier choices. Luckily I have a colleague whom fills a basket of various fruits at the beginning of each week, but still I’ve notice how poor everyone’s intake is out of control. I am totally a hypocrite because that was exactly me 3 months ago >_<

On a normal day most of them go out and eat at fast food chains or come back with “plate lunches” filled w/2 scoops rice, macaroni salad & a main entrée which is normally artery clogging. &can’t forget the LARGE SODA. I work for a very well known Union & a lot of our members will constantly bring food to our office. At times it’s very tempting, but my will power is much stronger &it will take a lot for me to fall under temptation. Members normally bring all the bad crap… donuts, pies, manapuas, pork hash, cakes, candies & more damn donuts, Chinese, pizza, bread, cookies – IT’S INSANE. You name it, they’ve brought it!

Mind you we have not one, but two snack areas where everyone contributes their candies, snack bars, crackers, etc…. I’m happy that I can resist all this food & lucky that I have my own office where I don’t have to see most of them indulging on these foods. I have my own little snack area in my office which I keep filled w/Kashi bars, bananas, tons of water, dried fruits & raw nuts. Not to mention the gallon of water sitting under my desk. Water is my best friend at this moment!!!

Here’s a great example of the **** I see daily:huh: :noway: :brokenheart:

d236987a.jpg
  • FrauHausMaus
    FrauHausMaus Posts: 194
    Options
    My boss goes to Bojangles (fried chicken and biscuits) almost every day. He ALWAYS offers to buy me something, and as much as I hate to turn down a free lunch, I've been sticking to my guns (and the lunch I bring from home) and tell him not to worry about getting me anything. His wife (my other boss) has been complimenting me about how well I am doing with eating right and going to the gym. She tells me all the time how proud she is of me :smile:

They're both awesome people. I love my job :heart:
  • spells1977
    spells1977 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    There's only 10 of us in my department and we are all fairly healthy and support each other on the whole.

When it's someone's birthday cakes and donuts etc are bought in but luckily i don't have a sweet tooth so i can bypass that.

Our biggest problem is alcohol. So many of my work mates go out and easily drink 2 bottles of wine each during lunch time or tons of beer :smokin:

Then they will have the smallest salad or sandwich possible to make up for all the alcohol!
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My co-worker next to me eats quite healthy, usually a salad sandwich or cous cous etc. The other two guys around me usually bring the typical packed lunch in (sandwich, fruit, crisps) but the problem with my office is the biscuits. Somebody always brings in biscuits! And I sit next to the biscuit cabinet! Aaaargh! Its like pure hell, especially when its a Friday and some genius brings in Marks & Spencers All Butter Luxury Cookies... :sad:
  • pjrbs
    pjrbs Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    We are quite a large staff and everyone eats healthy food. I am by far the heaviest. It is very rare to see anyone with fast food.
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My co-workers eat pure CRAP...plain and simple....
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado where everyone is crazy health-conscious, so most of my co-workers eat pretty healthy, lots of salads, whole-grain cereal, Subway, Garbanzo's, stuff from home, etc. That being said- there is one morbidly obese guy on my team who moved here from Chicago looks exactly like comic book guy, and he eats awful- TONS of sweets, candy, donuts, Mexican fast food, american fast food, hot dogs, etc. It bums me out for him. I think that his "yummy" food is his only comfort.

I've actually noticed recently that the Colorado transplants tend to eat the least healthy. My boss is from Atlanta by way of Chicago and he turns his nose up at my salads, or hummus, or yogurt chicken salad in favor of either a "low-carb" diet of turkey meat, raw veggies and cheese (that never lasts more than three days) or just goes balls out and gets a double cheeseburger and root beer float at dairy queen or Steak-n-Shake. One of the other guys that transferred from Atlanta gets pizza a lot, and one time even got one of those cheeseburgers with the "bun" made from two donuts!! I think it's a regional viewpoint of food. I ate a lot worse in Florida than I do now, just because Colorado has so many healthy options.

You are right about CO and being healthy. I don't live in the state but have friends that do and have visited quite a bit. CO residents are overall healthier in their food choices. Also exercise is always occuring. So many activities available and many people do them!
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Actually the people around me all eat very healthy. One guy across from me in a cubicle eats bags of spinach as if it were chips. We don't have many sweets and on very rare occasion have doughnuts. I have no pressure at work...its when I go home that the pressure heats up.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado where everyone is crazy health-conscious, so most of my co-workers eat pretty healthy, lots of salads, whole-grain cereal, Subway, Garbanzo's, stuff from home, etc. That being said- there is one morbidly obese guy on my team who moved here from Chicago looks exactly like comic book guy, and he eats awful- TONS of sweets, candy, donuts, Mexican fast food, american fast food, hot dogs, etc. It bums me out for him. I think that his "yummy" food is his only comfort.

I've actually noticed recently that the Colorado transplants tend to eat the least healthy. My boss is from Atlanta by way of Chicago and he turns his nose up at my salads, or hummus, or yogurt chicken salad in favor of either a "low-carb" diet of turkey meat, raw veggies and cheese (that never lasts more than three days) or just goes balls out and gets a double cheeseburger and root beer float at dairy queen or Steak-n-Shake. One of the other guys that transferred from Atlanta gets pizza a lot, and one time even got one of those cheeseburgers with the "bun" made from two donuts!! I think it's a regional viewpoint of food. I ate a lot worse in Florida than I do now, just because Colorado has so many healthy options.

You are right about CO and being healthy. I don't live in the state but have friends that do and have visited quite a bit. CO residents are overall healthier in their food choices. Also exercise is always occuring. So many activities available and many people do them!

I live in CO too and yes, there's an overall healthier mindset here. I think CO was voted the healthiest State in the US recently (of course, Dunkin Donuts announced they're coming back, so that might tarnish our star a bit). I work for a large institution with lots of physicians and administrative staff, and while I don't pay a lot of attention to what my coworkers eat, I do see an overall health-conscious staff. We even have a Wellness Committee here that rewards employees with extra vacation days for eating right and exercising. Just like any corporate environment, there's still always some sort of free food up for grabs, and cake does seem to be around a lot (though not right now, and I'd like some) - and the hallways always smell like delicious pizza because of the students' events - but there's always a big bowl of fruit available too. There's lots of healthy choices in the area.... but there's all the usual bad suspects as well. I used to live in FL and I know I ate a lot worse out there. It all has to do with your mindset and priorities. I don't want to be the downer, but it bugs me a little that there's a lot of pointing fingers on this thread when all of us were there to some degree at some point - it's how most of us got fat. I didn't eat like a total glutton like some have described, but we all probably ate pretty crappy at some point, so we're not 'holier than thou' now just because we've made changes. Either we need to focus on ourselves or be supportive of helping our coworkers 'see the light', not just bashing their lifestyles.... NEway, that was my mini rant. *hugs*
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I work at an Animal Shelter, so two of my managers are understandably vegetarian, and eat plenty of raw fruit while at work.

The rest of my co-workers frequently order pizza, and I always have to decline!

I'm a happy medium, drinking plenty of water and trying as hard as possible to eat a wholesome breakfast mid-way through my shift (I work mornings)

Also, at my last job (grocery store) a guy woofing down a bag of Cheetos was trying to tell me how disgusting my spinach salad was...