Grammar Is Dead, Long Live Grammar Nerds

Options

Replies

• reallymyBEST
    reallymyBEST Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    IMHO, it all started with "went missing." ARGH!
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    theoneandonlybrookie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    This is fabulous. I'm in love with grammar. Of course, those of us who really love grammar realize that the English language is to grammar what abstract painting is to art. It's messy and often doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Oh, and I also have trouble not making typos on my phone but that is why I avoid using my phone for work correspondence as much as possible.

I've found that the people who do genuinely give a **** about grammar are those who studied a foreign language extensively or read avidly. Otherwise, most people today don't understand why using the English language correctly is such a big effing deal.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    As a polyglot I am very proud to be a grammar and a spelling nerd.....but we also have to recognise that language evolves over time. Today's mistakes and faux pas become the norms of tomorrow......twas ever thus!
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    Grammer and spelling, for all intensive purposes, are important life skills with no acceptions to the rule, even though we are here to loose alot of weight we should still take it into consternation.

PLEASE say you wrote this in jest?!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I love it! But then I get paid to respect the rules of grammar.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Grammer and spelling, for all intensive purposes, are important life skills with no acceptions to the rule, even though we are here to loose alot of weight we should still take it into consternation.

???i wrote it in Internet Explorer
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this article!! I am a grammar nerd, and a spelling freak. My husband, bless his heart, can't spell to save his live, so I get to have fun with that, too :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

I hope so.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

???i wrote it in Internet Explorer

lol
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am a copy editor, so I have channeled my grammar obsession into a career.

Also, I'm one up on the article-- I have the 16th edition of the Chicago Manual of Style. So there! :bigsmile:

Oh, and I must take the chance to advocate for the serial comma. Not using it just makes no sense!!!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    As a grammar Nazi, I often comfort people with "there, they're, their". I may pat them on the back, as well.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with grammar.

Is that even legal ?!

Oh wait, you said grammar....
  • BerryH
    Options
    :laugh: Brilliant!
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I like the distinction between the two.

I also tell my kids, "First impressions are important, but what comes out of your mouth leaves an indelible mark."

I have a feeling that i will be using this, too. Our son is 3, and I stay on top of him about how he forms his sentences. And, the best thing- he is using the right forms thus far!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling too much social anxiety to make a grammatically correct post.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My grammar and spelling suck on websites. I love an ellipse, an exclamation point and an LOL. And btw, I actually do LOL as often as I type it. So if that annoys you, you would truly be annoyed by me. I really can spell and form a complete sentence however I am often in a hurry here trying to get to my 783rd post so I make typos or allow my "dumb phone" to pretend it is smart.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    You are simply amazing! I am a Grammar Nazi and I am proud to admit it. :happy:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Brilliant!

Do you realize how many people say "intensive purposes"? Hysterical.
  • lkblazek
    lkblazek Posts: 36
    Options
    I agree!
    But... :blushing: I also love the icanhascheezburger.com.
  • BerryH
    Options
    Policeman: Is your mummy home?
    Boy: No she ain't.
    Policeman: Is your daddy home?
    Boy: No he ain't.
    Policemen: Your mummy ISN'T home, your daddy, ISN'T home. Where's your grammar?
    Boy: She's watching TV but she's deaf.