Carnivores – why?

Options

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of food? hmmm?

and again technically that makes you food too doesn't it? Hmmmm? You can jump on that spit as well, I am sure you would be just delish with some BBQ sauce and Malt Vinegar, topped with some coleslaw on a healthy whole wheat bun.

I don't think anyone's arguing that point, humans are technically a food source, to other predators and in some cultures even to other humans (although AFAIK, only after death). And probably a lot more ancient cultures. But in modern ages and as a species-wide survival tactic (given enough other food sources) the majority of us CHOOSE to not eat each other. That may change with the zombie apocalypse. But then the question remains, are zombies human?

CHOOSE or are bound by societies rules so no one really mentions it for fear of the consequences............you just never really know what's in someone's mind. To answer your other question zombies are rotten humans so you don't want to eat rotten or infected food.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am an omnivore and am glad to be one. I enjoy meat. I have killed my own food before. I have raised animals to be slaughtered and put into my freezer. And I still have no problems eating meat. It's full of protein, B vitamins that our own bodies don't make, our teeth are adapted to eating it, our stomachs are full of flora that are made to digest it. So, I eat it. And don't give me the "tofu" business either. It's full of phytoestrogens that when consumed on a close to daily basis has been known to contribute to prostate cancer in men.
  • bewitchinglife
    bewitchinglife Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Well you can't eat a live animal silly.....or CAN YOU? :indifferent:

Yes. You can.

I can't find the link but some French folk roast a live bird and eat it whole with a napkin on their heads. Nasty if you ask me, but it can be done. I suppose it may not be live after the roasting.. so I guess it doesn't really make my point after all.

Frat boys eat live gold fish, no?
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am probably going to offend some, but it’s not my intention.

However, I just don't get it. There has never been a good argument presented to me why someone would want to eat a dead animal. I figure because whenever I ask “why”, the silly carnivores almost always get offended.

So why?

And please remove all of the “I like my meat rare” answers. That stuff is just nasty.

It tastes great. Besides that...........I try to stay away from Soy.....As a vegetarian......How would you suggest getting 180+ grams of protein in without eating meat or soy? for around 2k cals?

XSport Fitness 100% Whey Protein - 60 grams for 3 scoops... egg whites for breakfast 12 grams... greek yogurt 12 grams ... assorted nuts 6 grams... protein bar - 30 grams ... fake meat substitutes 12-20 grams each... IDK how I do it, but I am over on protein everyday. I am pretty sure my diary is open if you are really curious and not just being a meany.
    Morningstar Farms meat substitute is made of soy...

I eat Mornignstar Farms... but there is also a brand called Quorn that is soy free. I really like their "grilled chicken"

"Meat substitutes" are still made of processed crap no matter how you look at them. Do I eat them on occasion? Sure, but to live off them....you're better off eating real grass fed, organic meat.

I don't even eat processed meat substitutes everyday. And the reason I am vegetarian has nothing to do with health concerns, and everything to do with the fact that I don't even kill bugs that are in my house. I genuinely feel wrong taking the life of any living creature. I have no religious views, so in my eyes, every living thing only gets one shot on this planet. I don't want to be the **** eating an animal that only gets one shot. I don't care if I am "at the top of the food chain." My life is no more valuable than any other life on this planet. I don't kill bugs, I don't kill animals, I don't think its my place to take a life when it is the only chance that life has to LIVE. So, maybe I do eat processed foods, but its better for me than feeling the guilt of taking a life. And I try to encourage people who do eat meat to eat organic/pasture raised because at least those animals do get a better quality of life before going to slaughter. I don't expect to change anyone's minds, but I also don't think that anyone should expect to change mine.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I don't eat animals because they are innocent... I might consider cannibalism, though. Pass the bath salts...

You clearly haven't met my chickens. They are AHoles. I'm glad to eat them.

This is my favorite

It's true, too. Chickens are mean in the aggregate (although 1-2 alone can be pets).
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I only munch on carpet.
  • Rizabees
    Rizabees Posts: 80
    Options
    the silly carnivores almost always get offended.

lol

I eat meat because it's yummy. I'm an omnivore, though. Don't know many meat-eaters who are strictly meat eaters.

You have your thing, i have mine.
    It's also possible that, if we all stopped eating meat, cows and such would become endangered in America. Lots of people would be out of work, as well.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    It tastes great. Besides that...........I try to stay away from Soy.....As a vegetarian......How would you suggest getting 180+ grams of protein in without eating meat or soy? for around 2k cals?

beans and seeds; many carry a better protein punch than most meats.

Please explain since all meats are a complete protein source while not all beans or seeds are.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Because it tastes good and is good for you. I think that is a fairly obvious answer.
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It is delicious and high in protein. This overrides all other considerations.

A question to people who don't eat meat because eating meat is disgusting to you:

Why is 99.9% of the meat-substitute market designed to be as close as possible to the taste and texture of real meat? I've never understood why people who think meat is gross would want to eat Morningstar or other fake meat products.

I totally understand the moral/ethical objections to eating animals, even if I personally choose to eat them myself. But if meat is so gross, why do so many vegetarians eat so much fake meat?

I've always wondered that too... Personally when I am going to have a veggie burger, I'd like it not to taste like a hamburger.... otherwise I would eat a hamburger... Sure the flavoring is nice for people who can't consume meat because of health, but for people against meat for humane reasons are just pointing out some weird flaws in their logic.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Good argument = High protein density. No comparable plant sources in terms of economy.

meh, that's just lazy science. :) and it's not even all that well-thought. the economy of raising beef vs. raising beans or pumpkins is remarkably in favor of the beans & pumpkins.

don't underestimate the holy legume.
    I did the price comparison to me, the individual, in another thread a while back. No plant or legume could come close to chicken in the economy of my own pocket in terms of protein to the £.

Also note, meat isn't subsidised here in the UK.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Why Eat plants?!?!? They are living things too. Can you look your broccoli in the face when you eat it knowing it was once alive!?!?
    O_o.

But my answer is simple: I eat meat because it's the circle of life. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/science/22angi.html?_r=2&em

"Just because we humans can’t hear them doesn’t mean plants don’t howl. Some of the compounds that plants generate in response to insect mastication — their feedback, you might say — are volatile chemicals that serve as cries for help. Such airborne alarm calls have been shown to attract both large predatory insects like dragon flies, which delight in caterpillar meat, and tiny parasitic insects, which can infect a caterpillar and destroy it from within."

People can descend down this rabbit hole to an infinite degree until there's literally nothing left to eat, drink, or breathe that wouldn't be unethical. You gotta eat.
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I totally understand the moral/ethical objections to eating animals, even if I personally choose to eat them myself. But if meat is so gross, why do so many vegetarians eat so much fake meat?

Exactly!!....I'm not finding a big market for fake brussel sprouts and brocolli.
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am probably going to offend some, but it’s not my intention.

However, I just don't get it. There has never been a good argument presented to me why someone would want to eat a dead animal. I figure because whenever I ask “why”, the silly carnivores almost always get offended.

So why?

And please remove all of the “I like my meat rare” answers. That stuff is just nasty.

XSport Fitness 100% Whey Protein - 60 grams for 3 scoops... egg whites for breakfast 12 grams... greek yogurt 12 grams ... assorted nuts 6 grams... protein bar - 30 grams ... fake meat substitutes 12-20 grams each... IDK how I do it, but I am over on protein everyday. I am pretty sure my diary is open if you are really curious and not just being a meany.

you're still eating animals./part of animals if you're eating egg whites & yoghurt.

um, yea, duh. I am not a vegan. My egg whites are organic/farm raised. So is my yogurt.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    For us to live something must die.
    That's reality.
    And if God never intended for us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?:laugh:
    Seriously, abstain if you want - COUNT ME OUT!
    And good luck with your goals. I know plenty of folks who never eat meat and do just fine with their diets.
    All Is Possible!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian, it's interesting to read the responses although I know this was asked as a joke. They seem to be a variation on 1. It tastes good, 2. I need it for the protein and 3. Humans evolved as omnivores.

None of those reasons holds a candle to the amount of suffering that is created by the meat industry, IMO.
  • cindylou_106
    cindylou_106 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    WHY DO I HAVE TO DEFEND MY LIFE CHOICES TO YOU!?! WE SHOULD ALL JUST KEEP TO OURSELVES AND NOT TRY TO UNDERSTAND OTHER PEOPLE'S POINT OF VIEW!
    Yes, yes, yes!!!! I agree 100%:grumble:
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Because most people are selfish , uninformed, and too attached to tradition.
  • WhiskeyCity
    WhiskeyCity Posts: 711 Member
    Options

In my Religion class, we learned about this religion called Jainism, where the believers did not want to kill any living being, so they would not eat meat, and they would limit their consumption of plants. When they drank water, they would filter it to make sure the microorganisms that live in it don't die. They never showered so they didn't harm either the microorganisms in the water or on their skin. Eventually, they would stop eating and drinking all together and let themselves die. Random fact for the day

BOOM!!! Darwin was right. Survival of the fittest, baby.

Also: Where the hell is a caveman going to get whey protien??
  • vltaylor35
    vltaylor35 Posts: 72
    Options
    i eat meat just because it tastes good! plain and simple